snd-add mem leak and snd-xform bugs EXPLAINED!

I haven’t yet built Audacity to test these fixes, but I think I found the causes of known bugs while reading some source code this weekend.

I refer to source code versions found here: http://code.google.com/p/audacity/source/browse/audacity-src/trunk#trunk%2Flib-src%2Flibnyquist%2Fnyquist%2Fnyqsrc%253Fstate%253Dclosed

susp->s1 = NULL;

and 721:

susp->s2 = NULL;

of file add.c. I believe these lines can just be commented out without harm. I believe the bug in the addition of two sounds will happen whenever two sounds are added with snd-add, and the sum is completely evaluated, and one sound outlasts the physical stop of the other sound (by at least one internal block of samples), and this later-ending sound is not otherwise referenced: then it leaks. Note that if you add many sounds with sim or sum, the last two are added with snd-add, and the others accumulated right to left onto that result with more calls to snd-add. Perhaps nobody detected this common occurrence until I wrote effects that cause this to happen many thousands of times?

The fault is again in add.c, not in snd-xform. Change line 405 to:

susp->s1->get_next == SND_get_next && susp->s1->stop == MAX_STOP &&

and analogously at line 650:

susp->s2->get_next == SND_get_next && susp->s2->stop == MAX_STOP &&

Those changes will have the effect of disabling some “optimizations” in snd-add for more structure sharing, which were applied incorrectly to sounds that were shortened by snd-xform: the shortening was ignored and the underlying sound sequence copied to its physical stop. A better fix might be written that does not sacrifice sharing in this case, but it would not be as simple.

To see the bug, generate 1 second of a 100Hz wave, do this in Nyquist prompt:

(defun extract-global (snd start end)
          (let* ((t0 (snd-t0 snd))
            (result
             (shift-time (snd-xform snd (snd-srate snd) t0 start end 1.0) start)))
            result))

(let* (

(s1 (extract-global s 0.5 0.51))
    (s2 (extract-global s 0.6 0.61))
    (s3 (extract-global s 0.7 0.71))

)
 (sum s3 s2 s1)
)

Whereas if you change the result to (sum s1 s2 s3), you get a different (and correct) result, which should just be three isolated samples of the original wave.

Nyquist is developed and maintained by Roger Dannenberg at CMU. He rarely visits this forum, so you would probably do better to contact him directly.

I send rbd a message via this board, which should appear in his email.

Is there an official source repository for Nyquist separate from Audacity? So we don’t fork the library?

I know you were concerned to track the memory leak bug, and now I think I know the source code mistake.

The Nyquist home page is here: The Computer Music Project Software

What about Xlisp?

I was pondering how Xlisp might be made faster but maybe I should curb that enthusiasm.

http://www.xlisp.org/

We use Xlisp 2.0, which is based on a subset of Common Lisp not Scheme, and besides 3.0 has not been updated in over ten years!

So can we feel free to fork it?

I was fantasizing about compiling Lisp, not necessarily to machine code but to a more rapidly interpreted form with optimizations applied. It could be someone’s summer project.

I think you are close to a solution, but I tried that modification and your test case, but the result is still the same.

Oh duhh, I wrote != where it should have been == and twice. I edited my previous posting.

Did you try the memory leak fix?

At last! I built Audacity for Windows today, tried my fix, and verified that the sum does not depend on the sequence of the summands.

Now, to make a patch and publicize it in appropriate boards.