Nyquist Wish List

Using Nyquist scripts in Audacity.
Post and download new plug-ins.

If you require help using Audacity, please post on the forum board relevant to your operating system:
Windows
Mac OS X
GNU/Linux and Unix-like

Re: Nyquist Wish List

Permanent link to this post Posted by Paul L » Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:54 pm

Now Robert seems to suggest an effect that would rewrite some selection plus context. I only want something adjusting the boundaries of the selection, examining context. Or in my example could I fold the deletion operation into it so it's an "effect?"

Maybe the parameter comments at the head of all Nyquist files might specify an amount of context? Radical.
Paul L

Operating System: Please select

Permanent link to this post Posted by steve » Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:26 pm

I hope that I don't sound like I'm putting a damper on your enthusiasm Paul - quite the opposite is my intention, but it is hard enough to attract developer attention for developing features for which there is a compelling need. It is unlikely that we would be able to attract developer attention for a feature that can already be accomplished in other ways, or for a feature that would require a major redesign of Audacity. Much of the "fun" of writing Nyquist plug-ins is the creative thinking required to work around its limitations ;)

You have not yet given a lot of detail about your proposed plug-in, but from the description so far I think that it will be possible to achieve the desired result without waiting for a developer to expand the capabilities of Nyquist plug-ins in the way that you envisage (which could be a very long wait). What I would suggest is that you start a new topic in the New Plug-Ins forum, about your proposed new plug-in. I will be happy to try and help you develop a plug-in to do the job (and I'm sure that Robert will too), though it may require a slightly different approach to your current concept.
9/10 questions are answered in the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)
steve
Senior Forum Staff

Operating System: Linux Debian

Permanent link to this post Posted by Paul L » Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:26 pm

Well, if you've read my example, I think I am already imagining a hack-around. You already wrote me a script that has some global-variable memory, so maybe I can call my thingy once with one selection, then again after moving the left boundary leftward: the second call could remember the length from the first, subtract that from the right boundary, and thus have the information of a range plus a selected point inside it. So one call gathers info, the second does the work, and it's enough that the second call includes all of the pause. I could make it an analyzer that labels what I want to delete. Or just make an effect that does the deletion.

The keystrokes might not be as few as I'd hoped but it could still automate something that takes more care to do now.

So that's how I might use a range plus point inside, but it's less clear how to do a range in a range if there is no notion of global positioning of the samples.
Paul L

Permanent link to this post Posted by steve » Tue Oct 08, 2013 2:00 pm

Make the current locale available to Nyquist.
This would allow comma as decimal separator to be handled correctly (same as built-in Audacity effects) when text widgets are used for numerical input.
steve
Senior Forum Staff

Permanent link to this post Posted by steve » Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:58 am

Make the Audacity configuration directory known to Nyquist. This would be useful to allow Nyquist effects to save and recall settings, and even to read audacity.cfg.
steve
Senior Forum Staff

Permanent link to this post Posted by Paul L » Sat Dec 14, 2013 6:22 pm

Some means of conditional execution of plug in code depending on the date of the plugin file and of other files that it loads.

In other words: execute certain things only the first time an effect is invoked in a session (for most users) but still allow those who experiment with Nyquist to update effects during a session.

Because my crazy ambition is a faster compiled XLisp (at least compiled to some more rapidly interpreted intermediate form), but I don't want recompilation with every use of an effect.

Even without that, I suspect that each invocation of an effect is repeating the parsing and replacing function definitions in the Lisp runtime needlessly. There is opportunity for some small performance improvement of effects. Function definitions should go in a .lsp file, then conditional load of the file should happen. Scanning the conditionally loaded file is avoided the second and later times. Only the control comments and top level calls need be in the .ny file.
Paul L

Permanent link to this post Posted by rennigeb » Sun Feb 23, 2014 1:48 pm

Bluestein's FFT(aka chirp z-transform)
cf. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bluestein% ... _algorithm
rennigeb

Permanent link to this post Posted by steve » Sun Feb 23, 2014 2:52 pm

rennigeb wrote:Bluestein's FFT(aka chirp z-transform)

What is the case for why this would be a valuable addition to Nyquist?
steve
Senior Forum Staff

Permanent link to this post Posted by rennigeb » Mon Feb 24, 2014 3:44 am

steve wrote:
rennigeb wrote:Bluestein's FFT(aka chirp z-transform)

What is the case for why this would be a valuable addition to Nyquist?

For my purpose(Cross-power Spectrum Phase analysis), padding zero's(up to (power 2 n)) then snd-fft is enough.
Sorry....

Well, snd-fft hangs up when length>=2097152....:-(
rennigeb

Permanent link to this post Posted by rennigeb » Mon Feb 24, 2014 6:38 am

rennigeb wrote:Well, snd-fft hangs up when length>=2097152....:-(

How to extend the limitation?
rennigeb

PreviousNext

Return to Nyquist