1.3.8 and later GUI mode VST plug-in support

This section is now closed.

Audacity 1.3.x is now obsolete. Please use the current Audacity 2.1.x version.

1.3.8 and later GUI mode VST plug-in support

Permanent link to this post Posted by Gale Andrews » Sat Jul 18, 2009 5:36 pm

Audacity 1.3.8 and later now loads VST plug-ins by default if they are in given locations where Audacity searches. Previously, Audacity only loaded VST plug-ins if the user added the optional VST Enabler to the Audacity plug-ins folder. By default, VST effects now load in GUI mode with a fully-featured interface, but if preferred, the former generic, tabular interface can be selected on the Effects tab of Preferences. VST instrument (VSTi) plug-ins are not supported.

For best support of VST plug-ins, please make sure you are running the latest Beta version of Audacity, obtainable from our download page. For full details of VST support, visit our Wiki page.

The only VST instrument plug-in now known to cause an error in current Beta versions is:

* BFD (an error message at launch occurs, after which Audacity works normally. No further fixes beyond that seem possible).
If you do not want to use VST effects in Audacity, go to the Effects tab of Preferences, uncheck "VST effects" under "Enable", click OK and restart Audacity.

Gale
Last edited by Gale Andrews on Fri Apr 24, 2015 3:09 pm, edited 18 times in total.
Reason: reduced text and linked to Wiki VST plug-ins page
________________________________________FOR INSTANT HELP: (Click on Link below)
* * * * * Tips * * * * * Tutorials * * * * * Quick Start Guide * * * * * Audacity Manual
Gale Andrews
Quality Assurance

Operating System: Windows 10

Re: 1.3.8 GUI mode VST plug-in support (Comments welcome)

Permanent link to this post Posted by minerl » Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:54 pm

Thank You Gale, your comments were very helpful. 1.3.9 seems to run just fine. It still tells me the BFD folder is invalid when I start the program but I just cancel through the messages and Audacity loads and works fine. At this point I'm happy because now I can at least make it work.posting.php?mode=reply&f=37&t=11534&sid=130cb81e5f18e686324f14e0d384421f#
minerl

Operating System: Please select

Permanent link to this post Posted by Gale Andrews » Tue Aug 04, 2009 6:19 am

minerl wrote:1.3.9 seems to run just fine. It still tells me the BFD folder is invalid when I start the program but I just cancel through the messages and Audacity loads and works fine. At this point I'm happy because now I can at least make it work.posting.php?mode=reply&f=37&t=11534&sid=130cb81e5f18e686324f14e0d384421f#

Thanks. The Nightly Build (1.3.9) has been updated again so if you get a chance you're welcome to try it and see if you're still getting these messages. It would be better if we could kill them off if we could. http://www.audacity.homerow.net/index.php?dir=mac%2F (bottom file on the list).

Gale
* * * * * Tips * * * * * Tutorials * * * * * Quick Start Guide * * * * * Audacity Manual
Gale Andrews
Quality Assurance

Permanent link to this post Posted by AEN007 » Fri Oct 02, 2009 3:32 am

2October2009

Greetings.
I recently discovered (& very much welcome) the enhanced Audacity VST support.
I am experiencing a small Audacity VST admin problem.
Audacity lists VST effects that are not on my c: drive (anymore).
I have tried re-scanning to no avail.
Maybe it would be nice if users could tell Audacity from where to load VST dlls?
I hope someone can/will reply and tell me how to remove from Audacity
the VST effects which Audacity shows that are not on my c: drive.
Audacity lists one of the VST effects twice.
Right now I only have one VST.dll on my c: drive.

I've also contacted the Audacity team about Audacity
not being able to run multi-step VST plug-ins properly.

Any helpful replies/insights appreciated.
Thank you.
Regards,
AEN
Æ
AEN007

Operating System: Please select

Permanent link to this post Posted by Gale Andrews » Sun Oct 04, 2009 3:48 am

AEN007 wrote:I recently discovered (& very much welcome) the enhanced Audacity VST support.
I am experiencing a small Audacity VST admin problem.
Audacity lists VST effects that are not on my c: drive (anymore).
I have tried re-scanning to no avail.

If you look in the README.txt accompanying 1.3.9, you'll see that it was a known issue that "VST effects always remain in Effect menu even when rescanned and no longer available". If you look at the online version of the release notes you will see that this issue has been fixed in our latest development code, so will be fixed in the next 1.3.10 Release. I have sent you a link to download an Alpha version of 1.3.10.

AEN007 wrote:Maybe it would be nice if users could tell Audacity from where to load VST dlls?

We'll note your request, but ability to choose which of the supported locations to load from, or to choose a custom location is not likely until after the next Stable 2.0 Release.

AEN007 wrote: Audacity lists one of the VST effects twice. Right now I only have one VST.dll on my c: drive.

If you are using 1.3.9 that should only be because you have a second copy of the .dll in one of the locations Audacity searches for it (see my main post in this topic). If you are using 1.3.8 it may be because you still have the VST Enabler in the Audacity Plug-Ins folder. I suggest you try 1.3.10 Alpha.

AEN007 wrote:I've also contacted the Audacity team about Audacity
not being able to run multi-step VST plug-ins properly.

AEN007 is referrring to REAfir (used in "Subtract" Noise Removal mode) from:
http://reaper.fm/files/reaplugs.zip

We may at some future time be able to allow modeless effects so that you can change the selection area in the waveform and preview a different area without closing the efffect. That would solve part of the problem with REAfir (and allow our own Noise Removal to be run without closing and re-opening it, too). The plug-ins in this REA bundle are of course also designed to be used with real-time input so you can change the effect parameters as you play the audio. Audacity does not support real-time plug-ins yet.

Gale
Gale Andrews
Quality Assurance

Return to Click here before posting