Um, I've been a member for 3 years and I'm still moderated?

I would like to suggest something here. I am a lurker and so I don’t post often, but I’ve been a member since 2012. I think that’s proof enough that I’m not going to be spamming you, EVER. No, I haven’t made a lot of posts but that shouldn’t be the key there after a whopping 3 years! I would suggest that you remove moderation after a reasonable period. 90 days, perhaps? I mean, a spammer is only going to hang around a day or two and then they either create a new user name or they ditch the site completely.

We would actually prefer not to have the moderation period at all, but thanks to those that abuse forums it is necessary.

You’d be surprised. I’ve deleted spam messages from accounts that have been opened 12 months previously. The inconvenience to genuine users is regrettable, but it enables the forum to function.

Hello,

How many posts will be moderated before a user gets “whitelisted”? On forum.freegamedev.net we have had the experience that 1 post is enough to keep moderators sane.

Cheers!

Due to the popularity of Audacity and hence its attractiveness to spammers, we have to be less relaxed than is the case on your forum.

Gale

“Due to the popularity of Audacity and hence its attractiveness to spammers, we have to be less relaxed than is the case on your forum.”

Of course. How do you handle it then? Is there a fixed value - whatever it is - or do you only manually whitelist users?

For obvious reasons we don’t discuss our exact procedures on the public part of the Forum.

Gale

Unfortunately some people sign up with multiple accounts at a variety of forums. They then sell those accounts to spammers who hit the boards with posting bots.
Moderration seems to be fairly efficient here, and this is good for genuine users who want a help forum. :slight_smile: