Um, I've been a member for 3 years and I'm still moderated?

Suggestions and Questions About the Forum Web Site.

ImagePost here only if the Forum isn't working as you would like or expect.

If you require help using Audacity, or think you have found a "bug", please post on the forum board relevant to your operating system.
Windows
Mac OS X
GNU/Linux and Unix-like

Um, I've been a member for 3 years and I'm still moderated?

Permanent link to this post Posted by magnoliasouth » Fri Mar 06, 2015 5:52 pm

I would like to suggest something here. I am a lurker and so I don't post often, but I've been a member since 2012. I think that's proof enough that I'm not going to be spamming you, EVER. No, I haven't made a lot of posts but that shouldn't be the key there after a whopping 3 years! I would suggest that you remove moderation after a reasonable period. 90 days, perhaps? I mean, a spammer is only going to hang around a day or two and then they either create a new user name or they ditch the site completely.
magnoliasouth

Operating System: Please select

Re: Um, I've been a member for 3 years and I'm still moderat

Permanent link to this post Posted by steve » Fri Mar 06, 2015 8:51 pm

We would actually prefer not to have the moderation period at all, but thanks to those that abuse forums it is necessary.

magnoliasouth wrote: I would suggest that you remove moderation after a reasonable period. 90 days, perhaps?

You'd be surprised. I've deleted spam messages from accounts that have been opened 12 months previously. The inconvenience to genuine users is regrettable, but it enables the forum to function.
9/10 questions are answered in the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)
steve
Site Admin

Operating System: Linux *buntu

Permanent link to this post Posted by qubodup » Tue Dec 08, 2015 4:00 pm

Hello,

How many posts will be moderated before a user gets "whitelisted"? On forum.freegamedev.net we have had the experience that 1 post is enough to keep moderators sane.

Cheers!
qubodup

Permanent link to this post Posted by Gale Andrews » Wed Dec 09, 2015 10:09 am

qubodup wrote:How many posts will be moderated before a user gets "whitelisted"? On forum.freegamedev.net we have had the experience that 1 post is enough to keep moderators sane.

Due to the popularity of Audacity and hence its attractiveness to spammers, we have to be less relaxed than is the case on your forum.

Gale
________________________________________FOR INSTANT HELP: (Click on Link below)
* * * * * Tips * * * * * Tutorials * * * * * Quick Start Guide * * * * * Audacity Manual
Gale Andrews
Quality Assurance

Operating System: Windows 10

Permanent link to this post Posted by qubodup » Fri Dec 11, 2015 6:03 am

"Due to the popularity of Audacity and hence its attractiveness to spammers, we have to be less relaxed than is the case on your forum."

Of course. How do you handle it then? Is there a fixed value - whatever it is - or do you only manually whitelist users?
qubodup

Permanent link to this post Posted by Gale Andrews » Fri Dec 11, 2015 10:03 am

qubodup wrote:How do you handle it then? Is there a fixed value - whatever it is - or do you only manually whitelist users?

For obvious reasons we don't discuss our exact procedures on the public part of the Forum.

Gale
________________________________________FOR INSTANT HELP: (Click on Link below)
* * * * * Tips * * * * * Tutorials * * * * * Quick Start Guide * * * * * Audacity Manual
Gale Andrews
Quality Assurance

Permanent link to this post Posted by Kuffy » Sun Jun 05, 2016 1:19 pm

Unfortunately some people sign up with multiple accounts at a variety of forums. They then sell those accounts to spammers who hit the boards with posting bots.
Moderration seems to be fairly efficient here, and this is good for genuine users who want a help forum. :)
Kuffy

Return to Maintaining / Improving this Forum