I think this forum has been hacked into

Yesterday there was an obscene reply posted to a message with pictures, which has now been deleted. Just now I received an email from buanzo @ audacityteam.org which contained:

<
You have received a new private message from “EstisaIntitty” to your
account on “Audacity Forum” with the following subject:
sanborn insurance maps
You can view your new message by clicking on the following link:

• which looked suspicious. Needless to say I did not click on the link.
    Are others getting such emails?

Richard,

yes the forum elves have recently become aware that spammers are abusing the PM system in that way. The particular user that sent you a PM has been deleted along with all of his/her posts. Thanks for alerting us to this. If this persists we may have to consider withdrawing the PM functionality on this forum. We’ve already, sadly, had to withdraw the signature facility as that was being abused by spammers. I will alert the other forum elves to this post.

Buanzo is the manager of this forum - the reason that you got an email from him is that you have a setting requesting email notification when you get a PM (I think you can turn this off from your “User Control Panel” in Audacity - link is at top left of the Audacity window). Buanzo doesn’t actually send these himself - they are auto-generated by the forum software in his name.

We run a zero tolerance policy against spam and trolls on this forum which is strictly enforced. We like to keep this a sane, clean and family-friendly coner of cyberspace. The elves cover most of the world’s time-zones so we normally pick up spam post like the one you saw yesterday very quickly - apologies that we didn’t get to that one soon enough so that you had to be exposed to it. Whatever you do, never NEVER click on any of the links in such posts - they are very likely to take to sites which will download trojans to your computer.

If you do spot such spam posts in the future pleas flag them to us using the “Report Post” in the message - the icon is a downward pointing triangle with an exclamation mark in it.

Once again, many thanks for your help with this - much appreciated,

WC

I too have received email from “EstisaIntitty”
johnny2bad.

Thank you for your report!

Please let us know if any other user is sending private messages with spam.

Hey guys -

I’m pretty sure i got some spam thru this forum as well. The member’s name is Jachvence, linked here: http://forum.audacityteam.org/memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=158738

Here was the PM:

SUBJECT: More members more mula…
Sent: Mon Jun 27, 2011 2:21 pm
To: juxtapozbliss

Important all forum.audacityteam.org members.

As you might know by now, we have started revamping forum.audacityteam.org. These new server upgrades and staff employment obviously comes with various costs attached. We have been able to uphold the forum in the past, but the recent growth has forced us to get some sponsors to help us out.

Instead of placing more advertisements on the site, we would appreciate it if you would give each of the listed advertisers a minute of your time.

Just check out the Burger King and Apple promotions below. Then Please confirm your email.

YOU WILL GET A FREE FORUM UPGRADE TO ACCESS THE VIP AREA, AND EVEN SOME GOODIES FROM THE SPONSOR.
Moderator note: SPAM URLs removed

Thank you for helping the community, this is the best way to keep thing running.
Best Regards

Forum Management

forum.audacityteam.org

Moderator note: I have deleted the reported user

Thank you for your report juxtapozbliss,
As you guessed that post was not from forum management. The matter has been dealt with.

Steve