Forum log in/connectivity problems

Suggestions and Questions About the Forum Web Site.

ImagePost here only if the Forum isn't working as you would like or expect.

If you require help using Audacity, or think you have found a "bug", please post on the forum board relevant to your operating system.
Windows
Mac OS X
GNU/Linux and Unix-like

Re: Forum log in/connectivity problems

Permanent link to this post Posted by buanzo » Wed Apr 23, 2008 1:34 pm

Anyone else having issues? We need more than a couple of users with connectivity problems to provide any good assessment of the situation.
buanzo
Site Admin

Operating System: Please select

Permanent link to this post Posted by kozikowski » Fri Apr 25, 2008 7:37 am

I got another piece of this. It's 12:27 am Pacific (but not in here in Hawaii) and I just tried to post a response to a question. The system just started grinding and grinding, so I started another FireFox tab and just on a whim, surfed over to Audacityteam.org.

No problem. Read messages, change forums, navigate, read some more stuff, reload. All snappy and quick.

Meanwhile over on FireFox tab 1, my response posting is still grinding and grinding and grinding. Two minutes later, it finally posted and returned the window to me.

Koz
kozikowski
Forum Staff

Operating System: OS X 10.9 Mavericks

Permanent link to this post Posted by waxcylinder » Mon Apr 28, 2008 3:18 pm

15:40 UK time crashed out of Audacity as I posted a short reply. Could not then get to the forum site. Other Internet acess seemed fine.

16:15 back in again - previous reply lost (even though I had hit the Submit button to post it).

My ISP is Virgin

WC
Last edited by waxcylinder on Mon Apr 28, 2008 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
________________________________________FOR INSTANT HELP: (Click on Link below)
* * * * * FAQ * * * * * Tutorials * * * * * Audacity Manual * * * * * Audacity Wiki * * * * *
waxcylinder
Forum Staff

Operating System: Windows 10

Permanent link to this post Posted by steve » Mon Apr 28, 2008 5:22 pm

I've had occasional connectivity problems - usually when I've just written a long reply.
I now copy long posts to a .txt file before hitting "Submit".

I'll make a note of the time when it next happens, but connectivity has been pretty good for me generally.
[EDIT] Wouldn't you believe it - I spoke too soon - couldn't access the site at 11pm UK time.
9/10 questions are answered in the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)
steve
Site Admin

Operating System: Linux *buntu

Permanent link to this post Posted by kozikowski » Sun May 04, 2008 7:26 pm

Sunday 20080504
1220 hrs Pacific

[http://audacityteam.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=13]
[500 Internal server Error]

Internal Server Error
The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator, [email protected] and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

I had just posted an answer to a question in Mac/1.2.x and was trying to get back to the forum dialog listings.

Koz
kozikowski
Forum Staff

Permanent link to this post Posted by kozikowski » Fri May 09, 2008 5:29 pm

We had another "storm" yesterday. All times Los Angeles 20080508.

I had been in and out of the forum all morning and I went to post a message at 1419 and the connection froze. At 1422 "Audacity Has Timed Out."
At 1426 "No Connection." 1427 "Connection Timed Out."

I came back at 1501 and everything seemed to be OK and it held up the rest of the day. All during this storm, I was able to connect to Yahoo Mail, New York TImes, CompuServe POPMail, and Wikipedia, and DIGG. The times are from a local clock and could be as much as a minute off (my PC clock hasn't been set in months).

Koz
kozikowski
Forum Staff

Permanent link to this post Posted by kozikowski » Tue May 13, 2008 6:39 pm

Is the ISP or web host metering and restricting the connections? I'm doing this long enough now that I'm starting to notice a pattern.

It's not unusual for me to get stuck waiting for a response or waiting for a window or forum section to open. I can wait minutes for some of these connections to succeed...unless I resubmit the request. If I'm in a position to reclick or resubmit the request, many times it goes right through with no delay.

This is an extension of another post of mine in this thread. I had the same thing open in two different tabs. The first request took over two minutes and while I was waiting, the exact same request in the second tab connected immediately.

So requests clearly don't go into a straight Queue. They go to a segmenting, counter, and priority service. "OK, you've had your ten connections for this five minute block, it's time for somebody else."

Koz
kozikowski
Forum Staff

Permanent link to this post Posted by waxcylinder » Sun May 25, 2008 3:09 pm

Buanzo: the site was down all this morning (UK time) - I tried again after watching the Grand Prix and at 3pm I manged to log -on but the site was extremely slow. My other active internet sites were all operating perfectly normally and as fast as usual.

I got three 500ISEs at: 15:14, 15:31, 15:33

At 15:31 I had just clicked to post a reply, I got the ISE - logged on again and fortunately the reply had not been lost.

Seems to have speeded up now - 16:08 UK time.

WC
* * * * * FAQ * * * * * Tutorials * * * * * Audacity Manual * * * * * Audacity Wiki * * * * *
waxcylinder
Forum Staff

Permanent link to this post Posted by Gale Andrews » Sun May 25, 2008 4:51 pm

The behaviour Koz notes is routine for audacityteam.org sites (Wiki editing is the same). If your post or edit hangs, stop, use the Back button and preview/submit again.

Gale
* * * * * Tips * * * * * Tutorials * * * * * Quick Start Guide * * * * * Audacity Manual
Gale Andrews
Quality Assurance

Re: Inner/Outer envelope points

Permanent link to this post Posted by Gale Andrews » Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:03 am

joeswafford wrote:I am a 'newbie', so I hope my question doesn't sound dumb. What is the difference between the 'outer and inner control points?? When and for what reason would I know which to use When??

Please, post a *new topic* with a *relevant subject* to the correct board for your operating system and version of Audacity. This is nothing to do with Forum issues and even less to do with "connectivity problems". I've moved this to the "Audio Processing" board for want of anything better.

The best documentation we have for Envelope Tool is in the Manual for Audacity 1.3.12 Beta - it's mostly relevant even if you have Audacity 1.2.5/6. See:
http://manual.audacityteam.org/index.ph ... elope_Tool

The point of either of the inner control points is that they let you amplify beyond the original volume envelope of the track, making it louder than it was before. So the outer and inner control points both let you reduce the amplification below the original level, but only the inner points let you increase it.

Gale
* * * * * Tips * * * * * Tutorials * * * * * Quick Start Guide * * * * * Audacity Manual
Gale Andrews
Quality Assurance

Previous

Return to Maintaining / Improving this Forum