Sending users to our documentation

Suggestions and Questions About the Forum Web Site.

ImagePost here only if the Forum isn't working as you would like or expect.

If you require help using Audacity, or think you have found a "bug", please post on the forum board relevant to your operating system.
Windows
Mac OS X
GNU/Linux and Unix-like

Sending users to our documentation

Permanent link to this post Posted by whomper » Wed Jul 07, 2010 4:13 am

i would suggest you explicitly add wiki to the top of the pages
and to make it blatantly clear that tips tutorials and documentation are clickable resources and not decoration/verbiage in the header

perhaps also add a *single* landing page that lists topics/problems
and gives links (perhaps in a table by the 4 categories) to that info
whomper
Probationer
 
Posts: 1251
Joined: Sat Jan 23, 2010 9:36 pm
Operating System: Please select

Re: Sending users to our documentation

Permanent link to this post Posted by Gale Andrews » Wed Jul 07, 2010 10:45 pm

whomper wrote:i would suggest you explicitly add wiki to the top of the pages


Which pages are you talking about? Can you be a little clearer?

whomper wrote:to make it blatantly clear that tips tutorials and documentation are clickable resources and not decoration/verbiage in the header


OK I've been very blatant, assuming you are talking now about the Forum header - I agree it would be more normal for links to be underlined, so I have now made them so. Depends if other people like it, too. Do we really need the "underline" word as now?

whomper wrote:perhaps also add a *single* landing page that lists topics/problems and gives links (perhaps in a table by the 4 categories) to that info


I think more than three links could be confusing. I think the Wiki tutorials link is fine. I'm not quite so sure about the link to "Tips". We considered a troubleshooting page or category on the Wiki but it kind of cut across the existing structure. I think the current front page is in essence a mini troubleshooter. Maybe it would be better to link there instead of Tips?

I'd caution against spending too much time on this. Most users are I think still just going to ask before looking.



Gale
________________________________________FOR INSTANT HELP: (Click on Link below)
* * * * * Tips * * * * * Tutorials * * * * * Quick Start Guide * * * * * Audacity Manual
Gale Andrews
Quality Assurance
 
Posts: 26087
Joined: Fri Jul 27, 2007 12:02 am
Operating System: Windows 10

Re: Sending users to our documentation

Permanent link to this post Posted by steve » Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:13 pm

Gale Andrews wrote:I agree it would be more normal for links to be underlined, so I have now made them so. Depends if other people like it, too.

I'm +1 for the links in the header to be underlined.

Gale Andrews wrote:I'm not quite so sure about the link to "Tips". We considered a troubleshooting page or category on the Wiki but it kind of cut across the existing structure. I think the current front page is in essence a mini troubleshooter. Maybe it would be better to link there instead of Tips?

How about replacing the "Tips" link with a link to FAQ?
Personally I'd like the FAQ's to be expanded to include answers to more of the common problems (such as "Why does all sound playback stop working when I connect my USB device?"). What would be the chance of having some sort of active web page/searchable FAQ instead of the single static page?
9/10 questions are answered in the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)
steve
Site Admin
 
Posts: 46587
Joined: Sat Dec 01, 2007 11:43 am
Operating System: Linux *buntu

Re: Sending users to our documentation

Permanent link to this post Posted by whomper » Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:13 am

there are 5 helpful links at the bottom which are easy to miss

changing the links at the top makes it more obvious that they are links to helpful places

why not put *all* the links at the top and the bottom
at least some people will use them and avoid some needless repetitive questions

+1 for the suggetion to go to faqs
i would add a link for all useful places
whomper
Probationer
 
Posts: 1251
Joined: Sat Jan 23, 2010 9:36 pm
Operating System: Please select

Re: Sending users to our documentation

Permanent link to this post Posted by steve » Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:48 am

whomper wrote:there are 5 helpful links at the bottom which are easy to miss

At the bottom of what?
9/10 questions are answered in the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)
steve
Site Admin
 
Posts: 46587
Joined: Sat Dec 01, 2007 11:43 am
Operating System: Linux *buntu

Re: Sending users to our documentation

Permanent link to this post Posted by whomper » Thu Jul 08, 2010 2:08 am

bottom of the pages with the top i think
maybe it is just message pages in the forum
whomper
Probationer
 
Posts: 1251
Joined: Sat Jan 23, 2010 9:36 pm
Operating System: Please select

Re: Sending users to our documentation

Permanent link to this post Posted by Gale Andrews » Thu Jul 08, 2010 2:38 am

stevethefiddle wrote:
Gale Andrews wrote:I'm not quite so sure about the link to "Tips". We considered a troubleshooting page or category on the Wiki but it kind of cut across the existing structure. I think the current front page is in essence a mini troubleshooter. Maybe it would be better to link there instead of Tips?

How about replacing the "Tips" link with a link to FAQ?
Personally I'd like the FAQ's to be expanded to include answers to more of the common problems (such as "Why does all sound playback stop working when I connect my USB device?"). What would be the chance of having some sort of active web page/searchable FAQ instead of the single static page?


I largely agree about the FAQs on the main site having become less relevant. I don't have a lot of time to address them and the whole thing is a mess with the partly duplicated FAQ in the Manual which ought to be where the development is done. When 2.0 finally comes I would prefer to have the FAQ only in the Manual, but the big problem with that is that there is very little interest in translating the Manual, whereas the FAQs on the main site are more actively translated and the current translators are familiar with the gettext translation system used there.

I have got some ideas for new FAQs listed in the Manual, including the one you mentioned. Feel free to add some ideas.

At the moment I have a mild preference to relink "Tips" in the Forum header to the Wiki front page rather than our FAQ, at least until the FAQ can be a bit more targeted.

There is a Google search box on the main web site though it's quite coarse (defaults to main site) and allows you to choose only audacityteam.org combined (Manual/Forum and main Wiki).



Gale
________________________________________FOR INSTANT HELP: (Click on Link below)
* * * * * Tips * * * * * Tutorials * * * * * Quick Start Guide * * * * * Audacity Manual
Gale Andrews
Quality Assurance
 
Posts: 26087
Joined: Fri Jul 27, 2007 12:02 am
Operating System: Windows 10

Re: Sending users to our documentation

Permanent link to this post Posted by waxcylinder » Thu Jul 08, 2010 8:29 am

I agree with Steve +1 for underlining the links.

[i]Personally I still think the links in that dark blue colour on the darkish blue header background do not stand out nearly enough to be clearly visible - remember we had a long discussion about this a while back - regarding colours and font size for the link text.)

Whomper, I think the "5 helpful links" you are referring to are the cunning email signature that Stevethefiddle constructed for himself. He posts so frequently that you see these links most of the time :ugeek:

WC
________________________________________FOR INSTANT HELP: (Click on Link below)
* * * * * FAQ * * * * * Tutorials * * * * * Audacity Manual * * * * * Audacity Wiki * * * * *
waxcylinder
Forum Staff
 
Posts: 9283
Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2007 11:03 am
Location: Manchester, UK
Operating System: Windows 10

Re: Sending users to our documentation

Permanent link to this post Posted by Gale Andrews » Thu Jul 08, 2010 8:27 pm

waxcylinder wrote:Personally I still think the links in that dark blue colour on the darkish blue header background do not stand out nearly enough to be clearly visible - remember we had a long discussion about this a while back - regarding colours and font size for the link text.)


-1 on making the font size any larger. I already had increased it further after those discussions, and if we keep the current extra text then we've already spilled over into an extra line.

I would prefer A:links are blue, which is standard practice (they are a quite gaudy colour if you hover over them). For that reason I don't like the "Advanced Search" link being white (same colour as "Audacity Forum") but I have underlined it now. Rather than make A:links a non-standard colour so that some people will think they aren't links, do we want to change the background colour of the header? If so, to what?



Gale
________________________________________FOR INSTANT HELP: (Click on Link below)
* * * * * Tips * * * * * Tutorials * * * * * Quick Start Guide * * * * * Audacity Manual
Gale Andrews
Quality Assurance
 
Posts: 26087
Joined: Fri Jul 27, 2007 12:02 am
Operating System: Windows 10

Re: Sending users to our documentation

Permanent link to this post Posted by steve » Fri Jul 09, 2010 12:23 am

Gale Andrews wrote:they are a quite gaudy colour if you hover over them

They certainly stand out as links if you hover over them, but people will only hover over them if they realise that might be links.
I think the underlining definitely makes them look more like links than without underlining, but on my monitor they don't particularly stand out. Perhaps a bit more purpley? (that's probably not a real word - a bit of red in the colour)
9/10 questions are answered in the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)
steve
Site Admin
 
Posts: 46587
Joined: Sat Dec 01, 2007 11:43 am
Operating System: Linux *buntu

Next

Return to Maintaining / Improving this Forum



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest