Fixing "tinny" sound

I recorded a dialog in a closed bathroom and the sound is a bit tinny. Just wondering if someone has experimented with adding a bit of bass and removing the minor reverb that comes from recording in closed spaces…
Cheers!

Removing reverb is damn near impossible.

Tinny recordings are also difficult to fix. You can try boosting everything below about 400 Hz, but if there’s nothing there to begin with then you’ll only be boosting low frequency noise that you don’t want.

If you can, you’re much better off re-recording. A bathroom is usually not a good choice for a recording space due to all the reflective materials.

Though it can be interesting as an “effect”.

Not only that, but if the guitar amp falls in the bath you’re toast :wink:

Thats what I though :frowning: Just wondered if someone knew of a secret magic fix…

The graphic equalizer may help restore some of the bass and make it sound less tiny, but unfortunately Audacity does not have a “secret magic fix” button.

As a test, when I put a classical piece into Audacity and did absolutely nothing to it, the output was a bit tinnier than the original. I went to “Effects/Bass-Treble,” set the bass on +10 and the treble on -10. The output was actually better than the original, a fuller sound to my ear.

As a test, when I put a classical piece into Audacity and did absolutely nothing to it, the output was a bit tinnier than the original. I went to “Effects/Bass-Treble,” set the bass on +10 and the treble on -10. The output was actually better than the original, a fuller sound to my ear.

THANK YOU for the suggestion to increase bass by 10 and decrease treble by 10. I recorded audio of my voice for a book, and after noise reduction, amplification, etc., there was tinny residual noise. Using the +10 bass and -10 treble got rid of it! Thanks!

Heres a trick I do when I am in a room I know has alot of echo… talk into a felt hat.

Take a felt hat and put the mic in it and talk into the felt hat. Cuts down the background echo and that tinny sound alot. Acts as a sound dampener. Its a VERY good trick.

OMG THANK you!

I have had tinny sound ever since Windows 10 forced the creators update on me. Sure there were times it happened because of the room I was in but I thought I fixed all that with my setup. Now it was back and things sound all tinny and I have a deadline.

The bass +10/treble -10 effect Made it sound SO much better!

I have had tinny sound ever since Windows 10 forced the creators update on me

It’s not unusual for Windows to add processing and “corrections” whether you want them or not. It pays to ask about Windows processing and turn most of it off.

It’s highly recommended to record your work as clean as possible rather than trying to take out effects and corrections later.

This is just one of the places where Windows tries to “help you.”

http://manual.audacityteam.org/man/faq_recording_troubleshooting.html#enhancements

Koz

The thing is Audio can sound so different on different speakers, I spent hours mixing my bands tracks and I notice they sound awfully tinny and not very full after I put the mp3 files onto my phone. I know it’s probably just phone speakers but that’s what people mostly listen through and I dont get how I’m suppose to master for it to sound good through phone when I cant hear it through my phone as I edit. I dont get it at all. Anyone?