Which Headphones is best for mixing tune?

I need headphones for mixing tunes but I am not satisfied with the mic performanc of my current headset. Which one should I buy?

See: https://forum.audacityteam.org/search.php?keywords=headphones&terms=all&author=&fid[]=27&sc=1&sf=titleonly&sr=posts&sk=t&sd=d&st=0&ch=300&t=0&submit=Search

Because we’ve had spam responses to this type of question in the past:
Please note that advertising is not allowed on this forum, so please restrict answers to personal experience and don’t include links that may be considered to be adverts.

The go-to Hollywood headphones are Sony MDR-7506. Their claim to fame is the ability on a live shoot, to show you something wrong with the sound before anybody else hears it. If you ask for headphones on a shoot, there’s just short of 100% chance somebody will hand you a pair of these. Not only are they ubiquitous, but they’re all over the place.

But I wouldn’t want to listen to a movie or concert with them. Wrong task.

I think the all-time champs are still the Koss Pro4s. I think they’re up to AAA now?? Perfect reproduction, but they’re hot, sweaty and weigh as much as a Land Rover. I have a set of these and the slightly lesser quality Pro3.

My personal favorite for private listening is Sennheiser eH-150. I find them very pleasant to listen to, but I have to be careful because they have smooth but powerful bass boost. There is another forum personal recommendation of Sennheiser. I need to look it up.

Behringer makes two headphones. I have the HPS3000 that I got in a swap deal instead of a purchase price adjustment. I later found Behringer makes a higher end unit that I probably should have requested. Mine sounds very much like the Koss units.

I gotta go for a while.

Koz

Yeah. I keep oozing back to the Sennheisers. I found the original set left for trash after a studio building move. They had the usual broken cable and everything else worked fine. Trivial to fix. Then I bought a second set. I can listen to both for hours (one at a time).

I think it was WaxCylinder who has his own favorite Senniheisers.

Searching.

Koz

He likes Sennheiser HD25-1.

I think I’m retreading a posting we did a while ago.

https://forum.audacityteam.org/t/headphone-review/30853/1

Koz

I do have notes on earbuds. I found a config I very much like.

No picture yet, but it’s the Apple model just after this one.
Screen Shot 2017-09-08 at 8.29.29 PM.png
I can mess with them enough to make them semi-seal in my ear canal and they sound OK. Then I found someone selling foam covers that build out the diameter of the driver for an almost perfect koz-fit.

OK!! I can do this.

I can’t stand the current earbud design…
Screen Shot 2017-09-08 at 8.26.09 PM.png
… and the sealed ear canal units are very uncomfortable. When I’m walking around the neighborhood, I take them in and out frequently and the sealed units feel like I’m sucking my brains out through my ears. I can’t spare that much, thanks.

Koz

If you want to keep it cheap but professional, I’ve mixed for a decade mainly in Sennheiser HD280 Pro’s for detail work while referencing my monitors for general checks. They’re very transparent without the mid scoop or bass boost most consumer headphones have.

I’ve heard that you can accidentally buy headphones and find they’re built for the wrong genre or purpose and then end up with the wrong kind of sound? Is that right? Well I listen to most genres except classical & jazz really. Indie-pop, rock & some nice bass would be good.

“Good” headphones for recording purposes should accurately reproduce the full audio frequency range, without significantly boosting or reducing any part of that range. These may not give as much listening pleasure as cheaper headphones, but for recording purposes you need to hear what is actually there, not a sound that flatter the recording.

For “recreational listening” to music, the choice is more a matter of personal taste. Some people prefer to have exaggerated bass while other people have different tastes. Go with what it comfortable and sound “good” to you.

Topic locked as it is proving to be a spam magnet.