Subtle pops or clicks in my audio

Hello again everyone. I have returned after fixing some other issues with my mic through this forum a few months ago so i thought it would be best to stop here.

I have attached a few seconds of audio that i recorded recently and am not quite sure what the problem is. I keep my mic well cleaned and coverd when not in use to prevent dust from getting on it. I use a pop filter when in the process of recording and the mic is a hood 1 1/2 to 2 feet from my voice during recording.

The problem areas are after the words Back with and it sounds like a pop and then whatever happens when i say raiders. However i’m not quite sure what has or can cause this problem.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

It’s pretty certain what’s happening. Your recording system is going on a mini-vacation here and there. It’s particularly egregious about 10.6 seconds. Attached. Swipe sideways.

It’s rampant and I don’t know we ever fixed the past performers who had this problem.

OK, technically, it’s not shutting down. There is data in that straight-line hole, but near as I can tell, it’s totally silent. It’s not you. You see most of the blue waves are lumpy-bumpy and there is an abrupt straight line down and then up? That’s the tick sound at each one of the holes. If you were good with the blue line magnifier, you could probably find all of them—the others are not this obvious.

I use a pop filter when in the process of recording and the mic is a hood 1 1/2 to 2 feet from my voice during recording.

It’s not you and you don’t have to do that. Somewhere just over a good fist from the pop filter should do it.

What’s the microphone and computer?

Koz

Anything here?

http://manual.audacityteam.org/man/faq_recording_troubleshooting.html#skips

Koz

The microphone is a Blue yeti because i don’t want to spend a ton of money on a mic. The computer is custom made do you want the specs or?

Is this the cable that came with the Yeti? How long is it? Is this a desktop? Have you tried different USB connections? Someones the ones in front aren’t as stable as the ones in rear.

Koz

Are you connecting direct? Any USB hubs or other splitters or devices?

Koz

Yes it’s the original cable that came with the mic. Desktop computer. USB connections havent changed the issue and i regularly use the ones in the back because i need the front ones for usb thumb drives ect. Yes i’m directly connected to the usb port no hub or splitter

If nothing in that link was helpful, then I’m out. We should wait for another elf.

Without fishing through the other posts, what was your other posting problem?

Koz

My other thread was about poping with my mic turned out when i cleaned it last time i had missed some dog hair ( still not sure how that go on there unless it did it dureing a recording session because i cover it when it’s not in use) and that is what was causing it. After i did another cleaning didnt have any issues with anything till this current issue.

Go back up through the thread. There’s a link to common popping notes. It’s posted out of order from Dueling Posts.

Koz

Unfortunately it dosent look like any of those are the problem. Just did another test after going down the list same problem

it dosent look like any of those are the problem

I had to try it. The other elves are nine hours that way (pointing east), so they won’t be back on line for some hours. I posted a note about seemingly generic problems with ticking.

Koz

It’s all good thanks for trying i’m sure it’s something dumb that i just can’t find

Increasing the CPU priority of Audacity to “Above Normal” is worth a shot : that lowers the odds Audacity will be interrupted by any other program on the computer …

https://www.howtogeek.com/108742/how-to-use-the-new-task-manager-in-windows

Yes i’m aware of how computers work i’m in the process of getting my CS degree both my recording and audacity software run on high thanks anyway

i’m aware of how computers work i’m in the process of getting my CS degree

It could be argued you should be telling us what the problem is.

.06 seconds is a pretty serious chunk of time for the machine to stop paying attention to the USB data stream. That was the approx gap at the end of your sample.

I guess the question is what else do you have at super-high priority, and what happens if you lower them?

It’s powerful tempting to blame the Yeti. Yetis are responsible for pages of Audacity complaints and even a custom “Yeti Curse” filter, but I don’t think it’s the problem this time.

One Audacity note. Audacity does not apply affects or filters in real time. It always records what the computer feeds it. There is process management. You can use Timer Record. "“Wake up at 6AM and record for a half-hour.” That does happen in real time.

How well does the Yeti work on another machine? Audacity license is free. If the Yeti has troubles on two machines, The Yeti may actually have internal problems—particularly since you said the damage seems to follow your words. If they both fail, it may the Yeti or cable. If only one fails, it may be your machine.

Koz

Probably yes however i’m better at programs than i am with audio hence why i came here. I’ll try another machine see if i can find another one lying around here. Nothing else has high priority during the recordings the only thing that would be higher would be OS real time priority that i can’t change if it is the yeti i still have a warranty and can send it in

So i went and tested the microphone on another computer and it works perfectly fine the only thing i can think of now is a computer issue or the context of the room. The other room has a soft chair and rug floors where the room i record in has a wooden chair i sit in and wooden floors. I’m thinking it might be the floor stelling or the wooden chair i’m going to replace the wooden chair and lay a blanket down on the floor to prevent noise from it and see if it helps the issue.

Desperation method:

Oh, yes. That does work.

i’m going to replace the wooden chair and lay a blanket down on the floor to prevent noise from it and see if it helps the issue.

I super-duper doubt it. Wearing my pointy elf-hat for a second, the gap I found in your presentation has an 85dB noise floor. That has to be broken between the microphone and the computer, not in front of the wind screen.

After you get it running, then I’ll beat up your floors.

Koz

But it’s not the mic or the line so maybe my usb ports?