Converting .WAV files from Zoom H4

This section is now closed.

Audacity 1.2.x is now obsolete. Please use the current Audacity 2.1.x version.

The final version of Audacity for Windows 98/ME is the legacy 2.0.0 version.

Converting .WAV files from Zoom H4

Permanent link to this post Posted by hedera » Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:39 pm

I'm embarrassed to admit it but I may have tried to bite off more than I can chew up. Our chorus has been recording rehearsals using a (borrowed) FirePod and Samson Audio condenser mics (and Audacity on my laptop). We recently bought a Zoom H4, and last night I decided to experiment. I got a really good MP3 out of it last week doing the compression and processing in the H4; but last night I decided to record in .WAV. Now I'm like the dog that caught the car - I don't know what to do with it. If I just open the .wav file the volume is too low to listen except with headphones; the MP3 last week could be listened to on a computer without headphones. If I import the .wav file into Audacity, the volume is REALLY high (I turned the gain up to 113 because we didn't seem to be getting full spectrum) and it's noisy as Hades. Also, I'm used to Audacity's really long audio files, the .wav is shoved all together so that an hour and 6 minutes fits on 1 screen. After recording with Audacity, the display usually shows about 30 seconds on one screen. However the display is a minor issue.

What do I do with this? I thought I could just open it in Audacity and export the .WAV to an MP3 but it doesn't look that simple now. I found one tutorial in the wiki about converting .wav files of speech, and I'll try some of that, but any advice from a kind expert would be deeply appreciated. I need to know what to do with .WAV to turn it into an acceptable MP3.
hedera
============
Nature bats last.
hedera

Operating System: Please select

Re: Converting .WAV files from Zoom H4

Permanent link to this post Posted by hedera » Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:32 pm

Um, it does help to read the fine manual. After I quit panicking (I really need to post the podcast today), I read through some of the wiki and discovered I had used the wrong import method - importing the .WAV file as "audio" instead of "raw" produces an excellent, working file. I'm posting this for the information of other total newbies.
hedera
============
Nature bats last.
hedera

Operating System: Please select

Return to Windows