Multi-channel Recording in Audacity

Did you buy a new mixer? Do you need advice? Post here.

If you require help using Audacity, please post on the forum board relevant to your operating system:
Windows
Mac OS X
GNU/Linux and Unix-like

Multi-channel Recording in Audacity

Permanent link to this post Posted by steve » Fri Aug 27, 2010 11:46 am

If you successfully use a multi-channel sound card with Audacity, please list it here.
Please also list your operating system and any special drivers, limitations, or set-up procedures.

For stereo sound cards, please go to this topic: viewtopic.php?f=27&t=9477

Currently on the forum the following devices have been reported to work:

Edirol m-16dx
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=17366#p66538
Set recording to 18 channels.

M-Audio FastTrack Ultra 8R (usb)
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=17366#p100511

M-Audio Delta 1010 LT
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=4796&p=19193&hilit=1010LT#p19193
On Windows it requires old drivers from 2007 (5.10.00.5057)
Select "Multi" for recording 8 channels.

The following cards have also been reported to work:

Alesis multimix firewire 16

RME Multiface II + PCI

M-Audio Delta 1010

Alesis Multimix 12 Firewire (first 8 channels)

Alesis Multimix-8 USB 2.0 (requires USB 2 interface on the computer)

Alesis iO4 on Ubuntu 12.10. The iO4 must be plugged in before you boot your computer. The input volume is quiet and you must crank the gain to maximum for each iO4 input. Cranking up the input volume in Ubuntu's sound settings or within Audacity has little or no apparent effect.

MOTU Traveller firewire/USB (On Mac OS X)

Presonus AudioBox 1818 fails on Win7 64 bit. Records 8 channels on XP machine (32 bit)

TASCAM US-1800 Win 7 64-bit but only worked after compiling Audacity with ASIO support
Last edited by Gale Andrews on Mon Feb 24, 2014 3:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
9/10 questions are answered in the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)
steve
Site Admin

Operating System: Linux *buntu

Re: Multi-channel Recording in Audacity

Permanent link to this post Posted by Gale Andrews » Wed Sep 01, 2010 3:02 am

Note there is a comparable list on the Wiki "Multichannel Recording" page. I've just updated that with the information from this topic, and some information based on other reports.

Just to be clear, this topic is about Windows and possibly Linux, is that so? I thought multi-channel recording in Audacity usually worked on Mac because multi-channel hardware normally works in Core Audio without requiring ASIO (Koz suggested off-forum to me this wasn't always so).

There's also an overlap with Recommended Sound Devices on the Wiki but perhaps that should be confined to cases where we have a detailed report.

BTW the link in the above post to M-Audio FastTrack Ultra 8R (usb)
(viewtopic.php?f=27&t=17366#p100511) doesn't seem to have anything about FastTrack Ultra.

Gale
________________________________________FOR INSTANT HELP: (Click on Link below)
* * * * * Tips * * * * * Tutorials * * * * * Quick Start Guide * * * * * Audacity Manual
Gale Andrews
Quality Assurance

Operating System: Windows 10

Permanent link to this post Posted by steve » Wed Sep 01, 2010 1:25 pm

Gale Andrews wrote:Note there is a comparable list on the Wiki "Multichannel Recording" page.

Excellent, I'd not spotted that page but I was hoping to use this topic as a "feeder" for such a page on the wiki.

Gale Andrews wrote:Just to be clear, this topic is about Windows and possibly Linux, is that so?
... I thought multi-channel recording in Audacity usually worked on Mac ...

I don't know. That's an issue where we depend on user feedback. I'll add a note to the OP asking for people to state their operating system version.

Gale Andrews wrote:There's also an overlap with Recommended Sound Devices

I'm aware of that - and there's an overlap with the Sound Card Reviews topic on the forum, but I think that multi-channel sound cards should be kept on a separate page (in both the wiki and the forum). Users will usually be looking for advice on stereo xor multichannel sound card.

I think a link on each of the wiki pages to the other would be useful.
I'll add similar links to the two forum topics.

Gale Andrews wrote:the link in the above post to M-Audio FastTrack Ultra 8R (usb)
(viewtopic.php?f=27&t=17366#p100511 ) doesn't seem to have anything about FastTrack Ultra.

There's a problem with how the forum makes links to posts - they don't always work properly on multi-page topics.
On the second page of the topic liselorev said:
liselorev wrote:The device collection rejoices. A M-Audio FastTrack Ultra 8R (usb) device has joined the rank.
8 mic/line inputs. And the recording is swell.

The Edirol, only having 4 mic entrances (with mic pre-amp and phantom),... suggested a purchase of extra mic preamps to use the 12 other line-entrances for recording of mic signals. The price for these pre-amps was bigger than the price of the M-Audio 8-channel. Hence the choice.
steve
Site Admin

Permanent link to this post Posted by Gale Andrews » Thu Sep 02, 2010 5:27 am

stevethefiddle wrote:
Gale Andrews wrote:There's also an overlap with Recommended Sound Devices

I'm aware of that - and there's an overlap with the Sound Card Reviews topic on the forum, but I think that multi-channel sound cards should be kept on a separate page (in both the wiki and the forum). Users will usually be looking for advice on stereo or multichannel sound card.

I think a link on each of the wiki pages to the other would be useful.
I'll add similar links to the two forum topics.

OK, so I've done that on the WIki as you suggest. Though if we had a more meaty review of a multi-channel device we might not want to post all that detail to the "Multichannel recording" WIki page.

Thanks

Gale
* * * * * Tips * * * * * Tutorials * * * * * Quick Start Guide * * * * * Audacity Manual
Gale Andrews
Quality Assurance

Permanent link to this post Posted by kozikowski » Fri Sep 10, 2010 3:39 pm

Also note that although we have first-person experience and reviews on many audio techniques and operating equipment, that's not true with multi-channel equipment. That puts us squarely in the Manufacturer's Hype and Urban Legend territory. "I don't personally have this stuff, but my sister knows a guy where she works......etc."

"Produces multi-channel recordings on all computer platforms from Amiga to Zeos!!"

Sure it does.

We also have people who forced a multi-channel presentation with oddball equipment and obsolete software on one (1) computer platform. Possibly only one (1) computer. We're happy for you, but we need something with a little broader appeal.

I do believe that ASIO software packages can manage multi-channel gracefully under many difference circumstances. I also believe that you can compile Audacity with internal ASIO functionality. I compiled a program once in 1985. I still have the limp on wet days.

There seems to be a requirement that if you do get one of these systems to work, that you not speak about it to any other living soul. Like you sign a form at the registry office or something. Further, since they tend to be expensive, people are not willing to blow the bux on a device until they're sure it's going to work. It's not like I spent $19US for my Logitech microphone on a lark.

So all of these things are players in why you can't just march into Frys Electronics and pick up a nice six channel audio setup for use with Audacity.

It's a bit more challenging than that.

Koz
kozikowski
Forum Staff

Operating System: OS X 10.9 Mavericks

Permanent link to this post Posted by Gale Andrews » Sat Sep 11, 2010 8:46 am

kozikowski wrote:I do believe that ASIO software packages can manage multi-channel gracefully under many difference circumstances. I also believe that you can compile Audacity with internal ASIO functionality... There seems to be a requirement that if you do get one of these systems to work, that you not speak about it to any other living soul.

The requirement if you compile Audacity with ASIO support is quite specific. You can tell whoever you like, but you can't distribute that ASIO build to them. You can help them with making an ASIO build themselves.

Gale
Gale Andrews
Quality Assurance

Permanent link to this post Posted by steve » Sat Sep 11, 2010 9:19 am

Gale Andrews wrote:You can tell whoever you like,

I think Koz is referring to the Secret Order of Igams (dum dom dumm - terrifying sound effect on timpani drum).
Allegedly the Secret Order of Igams specifically forbids members to reveal the dark secrets of which sound cards work and how to set them up (on pain of having their sound card ripped out and replaced with a Sigmatel HD).

Some people say that the Secret Order of Igams, aka "I've Got A Multi-channel Sound-card (and I know how to use it)" is purely fictitious, citing as proof their near total absence on Google searches, but others say that only proves how secret the organisation is.

Gale Andrews wrote:You can tell whoever you like, but you can't distribute that ASIO build to them. You can help them with making an ASIO build themselves.

Would it be possible (theoretically/practically/legally) for a programming wizard to write a script that automated the process of building Audacity with ASIO support, thus requiring users to (only) register with Steinberg, download the ASIO SDK, put it in the same folder as the Audacity source code and run the script.
steve
Site Admin

Permanent link to this post Posted by Gale Andrews » Wed Sep 15, 2010 2:16 am

stevethefiddle wrote:Would it be possible (theoretically/practically/legally) for a programming wizard to write a script that automated the process of building Audacity with ASIO support, thus requiring users to (only) register with Steinberg, download the ASIO SDK, put it in the same folder as the Audacity source code and run the script.

I've given my take on that at viewtopic.php?f=20&t=39592 .

Gale
Gale Andrews
Quality Assurance

Permanent link to this post Posted by mahjoob » Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:53 pm

I am trying to record from both the EXTERNAL MIC and the INTERNAL AUDIO from the computer at the same time however I only seem to be able to select one to record from...is there any way I can record from a Dual-Source...thanks!!
mahjoob

Operating System: Please select

Permanent link to this post Posted by steve » Thu Dec 16, 2010 7:45 pm

It may be possible to record sounds playing on the computer and the microphone at the same time, but doing so is riddled with pitfalls and bear traps. There's probably a better way to achieve the same result. What exactly do you want to do?
steve
Site Admin

Next

Return to Recording Equipment