Tascam US-2000, need help with Audacity

Hello everyone!

Me and my friends have been recording with Audacity for some time, with a borrowed usb mixer and all, and we got great results, but we wanted to upgrade and get something for ourselves, so we bought a Tascam US-2000 interface.

But the problem now is that we can’t record more than channels 1 & 2 (as paired stereo channels) on Audacity… Is it possible to get Audacity to “hear” more channels than just 1& 2?

We don’t mind having the 16 channels recorded into 1 mono track on Audacity, we just want the sound we are making to be recorded on Audacity, one way or the other. We don’t need to have every channel recorded into a separate track.

Also, we don’t wanna have to use Cubase LE4 that came bundled with the Tascam…

Can anyone help us with this? We are even considering returning the Tascam if we can’t get it to work with Audacity, but we only have 28 days left to return it…

Thanks in advance!

I don’t have a US-2000 so this is just a general guideline.

Upgrade to Audacity 1.3.11 from here: http://wiki.audacityteam.org/index.php?title=Nightly_Builds

Connect the Tascam and switch it on.
Open Audacity and go to Edit menu > Preferences > Devices
Look in the Recording Device setting and look to see if there is an option for “multi” or something similar.
If there is, select it and set the number of channels to 16.

If there is no “multi” option, look for any other option that may relate to the Tascam and set the number of channels to 2 (stereo) and try recording with just inputs 1 and 2.

Any success so far?

There’s no more options besides “1 (Mono)” and “2 (Stereo)”…

But I’ve been researching a bit. We’ve been using, under Devices, Interface, Host, the MME driver, and from what I’ve read, it doesnt suppot multichannel recording. Should we try selecting Windows DirectSound?

Yes.

I am having problems with getting the US-2000 to show more than 2 channels in audacity. With Cubebase I see all 16.

Environment is - Vista business edition.
Drivers and firmware for the US-2000 - Firmware - 1.01 / Drivers - 2.00. Latest version.
Windows Direct Sound is selected as host.

Only seeing 2 channels.

I have it also running on an old XP machine - and I see all 16 channels and working fine.

What am I doing wrong ?

Thanks