Need advise ...best microphone?

Did you buy a new mixer? Do you need advice? Post here.

If you require help using Audacity, please post on the forum board relevant to your operating system:
Windows
Mac OS X
GNU/Linux and Unix-like

Re: Need advise ...best microphone?

Permanent link to this post Posted by kozikowski » Tue Jun 24, 2008 1:26 am

<<<You'll need to listed to the result to see how it affects the sound of your voice.>>>

Which brings us back around to good headphones. Trying to monitor sound from live speakers presupposes that you have a good room with minimum echoes, a good amplifier, etc. etc. etc. Nobody ever has that, so a grand place to start is headphones.

I've found that comfortable sound counts more than absolute accuracy. Prop your laptop on your tummy and watch a movie on headphones. If you can make it through two hours of headphone wearing, then you have a winnah. I haven't figured out a good way to condense that experience into a quick shopping trip to West Side Audio. I have a top grade set of cans where I can't listen at good volume. I keep wanting to reach over and turn them down--and they're not that loud. I'm guessin' distortion or a very non-flat frequency response.

I've been known to go back to my original Sennheiser HD-414s which are still running after some 45 years. Sennheiser re-issued the HD-414 and prompted pages of engineering tests and opinions on line comparing the old and new. The new ones are basically a good, conventional Sennheiser headphones in a 414 body. The original 414 was almost an engineering mistake. They put two microphone diaphragms in open air foam cases and slipped them on. They sounded much better (smoother) than most things available at that time except for its slightly weak bass. Still true. I've sat through many movies with those things.

Get a young woman to go with you shopping. Those people can detect audio problems before you finish parking the car.

Koz
kozikowski
Forum Staff

Operating System: OS X 10.9 Mavericks

Permanent link to this post Posted by steve » Tue Jun 24, 2008 4:17 pm

Personally I hate monitoring through headphones - give me a decent pair of speakers any day. Having said that, a good pair of headphones will probably little more than 10%-20% of the price of a good pair of speakers.
9/10 questions are answered in the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)
steve
Site Admin

Operating System: Linux *buntu

Permanent link to this post Posted by YFLeo » Wed Jul 30, 2008 3:02 pm

Re: headphones vs speakers, it probably depends on what you're listening to. I do very quiet work, and the difference is enormous. A track that sounds fine on speakers can turn out to have all sorts of little noises when played through headphones.
YFLeo

Operating System: Please select

Permanent link to this post Posted by kozikowski » Thu Aug 07, 2008 6:26 pm

<<<it probably depends on what you're listening to.>>>

Or more to the point, what your audience is. If you know everybody is going to be listening in the car, headphones are a complete waste of time.

<<<Personally I hate monitoring through headphones>>>

So do I, and I think good speakers are a swell idea. However, when you walk into a system where you know the speakers would have to improve a good deal to achieve the kind of quality you want to throw in the dust bin, headphones are a good alternative. There's a posting on here about someone producing a complex series of audio tracks and wondering why nobody's system sounds like hers does. No guarantee, of course, that her system is correct.

The flat spots on both sides of your head and sweaty ears are a good inpetus to save for speakers. Oh, and be sure to walk away from the computer at least once and forget you have them on.

There's a standing joke, by the way. Any time you bring up sound problems all the engineers start shopping for headphones. It's one of the things that makes engineers and production people get on so well.

Koz
kozikowski
Forum Staff

Operating System: OS X 10.9 Mavericks

Permanent link to this post Posted by steve » Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:50 am

Topic locked as it is now only attracting spam posts.
9/10 questions are answered in the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)
steve
Site Admin

Operating System: Linux *buntu

Previous

Return to Recording Equipment