I still can't get Audacity to record only computer sounds.

Instead, it also records any sounds that are happening in the room.
And the recording of the computer sounds only records bits and pieces of vocals I want to record.

Any help would be appreciated! I tried the advice I received on here a couple of days ago,
and I thought it had solved my problem, but I still have the problem.

I don’t know: maybe Audacity has changed their software, so that people can’t record directly from YouTube, or example?
That’s not what I’m trying to do though. What I want to do is perfectly legal with everyone: I’m trying to record audio from
sites that permit it to be recorded for commercial use, but Audacity is not “letting me.” Thanks! :slight_smile:

http://manual.audacityteam.org/man/tutorial_recording_computer_playback_on_windows.html

Audacity doesn’t care where it gets the sound from as long as Windows (or the operating system) provides it. Back in the paleolithic, you could pick “Stereo Mix” as a recording “device” and it would shovel everything the computer was doing into Audacity. I believe that job has been taken over by WASAPI.

Windows Audio Session API
About WASAPI.
The Windows Audio Session API (WASAPI) enables client applications to manage the flow of audio data between the application and an audio endpoint device.

Koz

Something is wrong somewhere. I have a brand new computer, so I hope it’s not that. I’m not having any audio problems when I go to a DAW, for example.

From left to right, I have the settings on Audacity set to:
Windows WASAPI, Speaker/Headphone (Realtek High Definition Audio), 2 (Stereo) Recording Channels, Speaker/Headphone (Realtek High Definition Audio)

But the recording just picks up bits and pieces of what should be recorded.
I noticed that on the WASAPI setting, it automatically moves the “Recording Volume” button all the way to the
right. But no matter where I set it, it still just picks up parts of words. :slight_smile:

That’s very different. Check sound activated recording. I’m not on a computer right now.

Koz