Why does Audacity Record Already Recorded Tracks?

We all have our ideas regarding recording! Share your experience.

If you require help using Audacity, or think you have found a "bug", please post on the forum board relevant to your operating system.
Windows
Mac OS X
GNU/Linux and Unix-like

Why does Audacity Record Already Recorded Tracks?

Permanent link to this post Posted by Godwinlee » Sat Apr 30, 2011 8:32 pm

Hi

I'm having this problem with Audacity's recording...

I've recorded a gutiar track for a song now I need to record vocals, but when I press record again, Audacity re-records the guitar track that I am trying to sing over. It makes the guitar track too loud and distorted. I just want it so that it plays the guitar track while i record vocals and not re-record the guitar track..if you get what I mean haha
I'm using a Behringer Xenyx 502 mixer and an Apex 530 Condenser Mic with the Microphone option from the drop down in audacity when I record vocals. When I record my guitar, I use the Stereo Mix option because I have an Acoustic-Electric and I plug it in.

Help would be very useful!

Thanks! =)
Godwinlee

Re: Why does Audacity Record Already Recorded Tracks?

Permanent link to this post Posted by bgravato » Sat Apr 30, 2011 8:40 pm

You don't want the stereo mix option... That's for recording whatever is playing in the computer, that's because it records "everything" playing.

Also if you are listening to the recorded track through speakers it will obviously be captured by the mic too, you should use a pair of headphones.

You missed an important piece of information... How do you have it all connected? How do you connect the mixer to the computer? You have the mic connected to the mixer right? How do you connect the guitar? Directly to the computer? In which port?

Which audacity version and which operating system? Desktop computer or laptop?
Include as much details as you can in your post (Audacity version, Operating System, Equipment used, etc).
Please post your question in the appropriate forum (regarding audacity version and operating system).
bgravato
Forum Staff

Permanent link to this post Posted by Godwinlee » Sat Apr 30, 2011 9:03 pm

Hi thanks for replying!

I use the Stereo Mix option when I put the guitar track down because I connect it to my mixer and I record the guitar track first so theres nothing playing when I record the guitar track.
I am using headphones haha
How I have it all connect is that I have my mixer, the mic and guitar is connected to the mixer, the mixer is connected to my computer's mic jack. I have no audio interface.
I am using a Audacity 1.2.6 with Windows XP, and a Laptop
Godwinlee

Permanent link to this post Posted by bgravato » Sat Apr 30, 2011 9:28 pm

Godwinlee wrote:the mixer is connected to my computer's mic jack.

That's where it all goes wrong... and that's why it gets all distorted.

Mic input is not suitable for line level signal. Mic input expects a very tiny signal from a mic... The output from the mixer is a line level signal, so it needs to go to a line input... Most laptops don't have it unfortunately...

You might need an interface such as this: http://kozco.com/tech/audacity/pix/UCA202.jpg

The small device in the picture between the tape deck and the laptop is a Behringer UCA-202. It converts an analog line level signal into a digital signal on the USB port of the computer.

Regarding stereo mix... That's for recording what's playing on the computer... so when you record the second track and you listen to it through the headphones, that sound is going "through" the computer so it gets in the record... like I said before... there's no reason (in either case) to be recording from "stereo mix". In your case you would select the mic input as the recording device, because that's where you currently have the mixer connected and that's where the sound is coming from...
Include as much details as you can in your post (Audacity version, Operating System, Equipment used, etc).
Please post your question in the appropriate forum (regarding audacity version and operating system).
bgravato
Forum Staff

Permanent link to this post Posted by Godwinlee » Sun May 01, 2011 1:18 am

Okay! Thanks!

So I need to get an audio interface..okay

But i'm still confused about the guitar..i record the guitar as stereo mix and it sounds fine, its the microphone recording device option that when i press record it records the guitar again would getting an audio interface solve that?
Godwinlee

Permanent link to this post Posted by bgravato » Sun May 01, 2011 8:58 am

Godwinlee wrote:But i'm still confused about the guitar..i record the guitar as stereo mix and it sounds fine, its the microphone recording device option that when i press record it records the guitar again would getting an audio interface solve that?

Let me try to be more clear about this...

Stereo Mix records whatever is going through the soundcard. When you first record the guitar that's the only sound that is going through the soundcard, so that's what it records. When you record something else while another sound is playing (in this case the previously recorded guitar playing through the headphones) you get that on recording too.
Try watching a youtube video or playing an mp3 while you record the guitar and see if the sound from the video doesn't get in the recording too...

Now if you select the input where you have the mixer connected has the recording device you should get the same thing as you get with the stereo mix for the guitar, but when you record a second track while playing the first now you will only get the sound coming from the mixer.
bgravato
Forum Staff

Permanent link to this post Posted by bgravato » Sun May 01, 2011 9:24 am

Now on whether you need an external device or not... make sure first your laptop doesn't have a line in...

In the device list in the recording devices in Audacity do you have a line-in option? Same laptops have a shared mic-in/line-in in the same socket.

Some people have also reported to have some relative success in recording a line level signal through the mic input, though the result will never be as good as recording from a line input. Mic inputs are usually mono, though in this case, you're recording one instrument at a time and from one mic only, so that won't be a problem. The distortion and increased noise level will though, but your report of being able to successfully record the guitar suggest that you might be able to do it.

First thing, check if you got a line-in option in the recording devices, do you? If so select that as the recording device.

If no, then you should have a mic input option. Select that.

Try recording the guitar solo. Do you get the same result as with stereo mix?
bgravato
Forum Staff

Permanent link to this post Posted by bgravato » Sun May 01, 2011 9:26 am

Godwinlee wrote:its the microphone recording device option that when i press record it records the guitar again would getting an audio interface solve that?

No, if you keep recording from the stereo mix, the same thing will happen regardless of using an audio interface or not...
bgravato
Forum Staff

Permanent link to this post Posted by friday jones » Thu May 05, 2011 11:55 pm

Regarding your echoing of the previously recorded track while recording a new track:

Double-click the speaker icon in your Windows XP tray. In the Options menu, select Properties and then Recording. If there is a tab for "Wave," then untick the box marked "Select." That worked for me.
friday jones

Return to Recording Techniques