Deleting cfg file doesn't work

This section is now closed.

Audacity 1.3.x is now obsolete. Please use the current Audacity 2.0.x version.

The final version of Audacity for Windows 98/ME is the legacy 2.0.0 version.

Deleting cfg file doesn't work

Permanent link to this post Posted by n0mad23 » Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:03 am

Hi,

I was using the stable version until last night and never had any problems. Suddenly it just wouldn't load. I checked the forums here, and installed this latest version.

It loaded and worked for me twice and then just wouldn't load. I first erased the .cfg file but it wouldn't restart. Now it won't regardless of how I uninstall and reinstall (ie., Audacity's uninstall program or via Control Panel). I tried XP Pro's "Run As" command via right clicking the mouse and got this message - "Audacity could not find a place to store .csp Clear Speech preset files. Audacity is now going to exit." It also suggested a possible corrupted install.

I've even tried redownloading and reinstalling with no success.

Any ideas and/or suggestions?
n0mad23

Re: Deleting cfg file doesn't work

Permanent link to this post Posted by n0mad23 » Mon Jun 15, 2009 2:40 am

Double post -

I've got it working again! I'm pretty sure the problem has to do with the VST-Bridge addon. I haven't reinstalled this one but seem to have total functionality with everything else.

I'll be sure to post an update in a few days if everything continues to work.

Cheers and thanks for such a fab piece of software!
n0mad23

Permanent link to this post Posted by steve » Mon Jun 15, 2009 6:21 pm

n0mad23 wrote:I'm pretty sure the problem has to do with the VST-Bridge addon.

That's quite possible. The VST bridge will try to handle all VST's that it can find (unless you specifically tell it to ignore them), but you just need one incompatible VST installed anywhere on your computer and it can mess everything up. The good news is that there are LOTS of free LADSPA and Nyquist plug-ins. They may not look as pretty as VST, but if they do the job, who cares. :D
9/10 questions are answered in the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)
steve
Senior Forum Staff

Permanent link to this post Posted by n0mad23 » Tue Jun 16, 2009 10:49 pm

It was the VST-Bridge addon. No related problems since I stopped using it, and there are more LADSPA and Nyquist plugins than a user like me needs. Now if I can only figure out why this version is giving me so much trouble loading .aif files....
n0mad23

Permanent link to this post Posted by steve » Tue Jun 16, 2009 11:58 pm

n0mad23 wrote:Now if I can only figure out why this version is giving me so much trouble loading .aif files....

That's quite a different question, but since there's no one else in this topic to confuse...
What files are these? Are they from iTunes? Do they have DRM protection? Can you convert them to WAV in iTunes?
9/10 questions are answered in the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)
steve
Senior Forum Staff

Permanent link to this post Posted by jinsu » Mon Jun 22, 2009 12:56 pm

I have also upgraded to that version (1.5.32) and are still having some problem

I've also tried a little debugging, by monitoring all file system operations done by Balsamiq Mockups using a Sysinternals tool, and can confirm that the file is actually read by the program.
this solves the problem
jinsu

Return to Windows