Recording both sides, but can only hear through one side

I have a Scarlett Solo Gen 2 Focusrite, I’ve fixed the single channel recording issue to where I can now record equally on both channels, but now I can’t hear the recording through both ears of the headphones. It only plays through the right ear, no matter how high or low I adjust the volume, it is still the same. Would someone please show me how to fix this?

Using:
Scarlett Solo Gen 2
Windows 10
Samson C01 Condenser Mic
KRK KNS6400 Studio Headphones

I can’t hear the recording through both ears of the headphones.

Where are the headphones plugged in? The Solo or the computer?

Koz

Through the Solo

I’ve fixed the single channel recording issue to where I can now record equally on both channels

What problem was that and how did you fix it?

Koz

The problem was when I tried recording in audacity it would only record the left side, and the right side was not recording. I found out that windows 10 has a separate link to download because the solo had a problem with ASIO. I fixed this problem and now am able to record my voice on both left and right. Now, when I playback the track, I can only hear the audio on the right side.

it would only record the left side

That’s normal. The Solo is a mono device and is designed to record into a Mono—one blue wave—performance. If you force it into a stereo show, your voice will appear on the left.

the solo had a problem with ASIO.

I think there are still pieces of this missing. Regular Audacity doesn’t support ASIO.

What you’re supposed to do is record into a Mono performance. This is a single blue wave which appears in both sides of your headphones and should mix directly into stereo music if that’s your goal.

Even better, there is a cousin posting also having troubles getting a Solo to work. Theirs is a mystery, too.

Koz

These are pictures of the left of my timeline. Does your show look like this:
Screen Shot 2018-02-01 at 11.20.50.png
Or more like this? What do those words say near the bottom of that panel?

Koz

Screen Shot 2018-02-01 at 11.21.32.png

I opened up Audacity and switched to a mono recording and this is what I got.

I screenshotted but I’m not familiar with how to post it but the words at the bottom say: Mono, 44100 Hz, 32-bit float.

I would really just like to use this as a voice recording tool and I’m not sure whether I have set things up correctly.

Also, when I record, my voice seems to be coming in at extremely low volumes even when my gain is near maxed out and monitor is high as well on the Focusrite. For more information, I am using a Samson C01 Studio Condenser Microphone.

To add to the confusion, direct monitoring is mono on the Scarlett Solo. And of course, it is stereo when playing back.

direct monitoring is mono on the Scarlett Solo.

…which is what you would want if you were overdubbing. Headphone mix should always be mono because the Solo is natively a mono device. These devices are not sound mixers. You can’t assign sounds to wherever you want them.

the words at the bottom say: Mono, 44100 Hz, 32-bit float.

That’s normal. It plays to both sides of your headphones, right? Let’s take one problem at a time.

I screenshotted but I’m not familiar with how to post it

Did you use the clipping program for a screen shot? That should have put a picture file on your desktop. Scroll down from a forum text window to where it says Upload attachment > Browse. Select the picture file > OK.

I would really just like to use this as a voice recording tool

Are you normally soft-spoken? I once had to record a woman’s voice for an animation. Her voice was perfect but there just wasn’t a lot of it. She was very quiet. She had never heard of theatrical projection and it was very painful to get the work as a sound file. And that was a fully engineered recording session.

You should be one Hawaiian Shaka away from the microphone.

This can be rough to do if your microphone is on the normally supplied desk stand. That’s why I use a floor stand and counterweight where needed.

my voice seems to be coming in at extremely low volumes

Keep turning all the controls up until you can reach -6 to -10 on the Audacity bouncing light sound meter and the blue wave tips reach about half-way. It’s not unusual for announcers to run all the volume controls all the way up. The makers give these systems “gentle volume.”

Windows can have a volume control, too. Did you set that one? Right-click the speaker in the lower right > Recording.

It doesn’t matter how loud you can hear it. The recording is made from the Audacity sound meter and blue waves

You should be speaking into the side of the microphone, into the Samson name and green light. Did it say that in the instructions?

As an experiment, start a recording and turn all the volume controls you can reach all the way up. Now get closer to the microphone and speak louder until you can reach -6 on the Audacity sound meters.

Never blow into a microphone!

I use a longer than normal sound meter. Yours should look like this on the right.

That’s the volume you will have to announce to make a good recording. If you never make it, then there may be something broken.

Koz

I am having this issue!! It was FINE - then during editing, i deleted an area and when i began playing again, i could only hear from LEFT. What was the solution??

I’ve been advised to go into the computer’s properties of the solo and change it to 1 channel-stereo. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iRfODcloiBc)
It worked for me