.aup file reference and .wav instead of .au

Audio software developers forum.

If you require help using Audacity, please post on the forum board relevant to your operating system:
Windows
Mac OS X
GNU/Linux and Unix-like

Re: .aup file reference and .wav instead of .au

Permanent link to this post Posted by Gale Andrews » Mon Jan 02, 2017 7:29 pm

qwertquadrat wrote:
qwertquadrat wrote:That is kinda what I already did in my previous projects: First to take every sound strip, edit it in Audacity and then import it in Blender. So one had to edit every sound strip individually - and hope that everything matches later on. That is okay for small projects, but not for large ones, where one want to edit one sound strip dependent on how the others sound.

Or is your suggestion to mixdown the audio from Blender and import that in Audacity? Then you can't edit every sound layer independently - Which means that you can't tune for example only the music or only the sound effects or only the voice of an actor or the narrator etc.. And if you are looking for a low-pass filter for the music for a scene, where the camera dives into water, you do not necessairly want to low-pass filter also the narrators voice.

Can these sound strips be exported as multichannel WAV files? Audacity can import such a file one track per channel.


Gale
________________________________________FOR INSTANT HELP: (Click on Link below)
* * * * * Tips * * * * * Tutorials * * * * * Quick Start Guide * * * * * Audacity Manual
Gale Andrews
Quality Assurance
 
Posts: 26094
Joined: Fri Jul 27, 2007 12:02 am
Operating System: Windows 10

Re: .aup file reference and .wav instead of .au

Permanent link to this post Posted by qwertquadrat » Mon Jan 02, 2017 8:41 pm

Sadly not out of the box :/ (and I am not aware of any add-on that implements such a feature)
Would that mean btw. that every channel would then be mono? And would you still have to apply the envelopes? Or does WAV support them?
If that preserves stereo, it would of course be an idea to develop a multichannel WAV export add-on for Blender instead.
qwertquadrat
 
Posts: 14
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2016 8:21 pm
Operating System: Windows 10

Re: .aup file reference and .wav instead of .au

Permanent link to this post Posted by steve » Mon Jan 02, 2017 9:23 pm

qwertquadrat wrote:First to take every sound strip, edit it in Audacity and then import it in Blender. So one had to edit every sound strip individually - and hope that everything matches later on.

I was going to ask what a "sound strip" is, but I've found it: https://www.blender.org/manual/de/edito ... audio.html
So in Audacity terminology, your "Blender project" contains many "audio clips".
How / where are those audio clips stored?
What is your project? Are you creating an animation in Blender, or editing a video that you shot with a video camera, or something else?
9/10 questions are answered in the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)
steve
Senior Forum Staff
 
Posts: 43920
Joined: Sat Dec 01, 2007 11:43 am
Operating System: Linux *buntu

Re: .aup file reference and .wav instead of .au

Permanent link to this post Posted by qwertquadrat » Mon Jan 02, 2017 11:06 pm

steve wrote:So in Audacity terminology, your "Blender project" contains many "audio clips".

Oh, okay, did not expect that this would lead to confusion. Sorry for that.

steve wrote:How / where are those audio clips stored?

In Blender most of the used files can be stored anywhere, because Blender only links to the files by default. One can include linked files in the Blender project file, but for video editing, files can easily get large - so that is mostly not a good idea. Usually one will end up creating a project folder manually and storing every used media file in this folder.
That is made because in contrast to Audacity, Blender has no destructive operations. Every filter is only applied for the preview in cache and on final render (= mixdown = export), so there is no need to save altered versions of a file - and converting every file to a specific file type would only cost time and storage space.

steve wrote:What is your project? Are you creating an animation in Blender, or editing a video that you shot with a video camera, or something else?

My projects vary, some are animated, but most are shot with a video camera and a sound recorder. Some contain visual effects and motion graphics (especially for the credits) made in Blender.
qwertquadrat
 
Posts: 14
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2016 8:21 pm
Operating System: Windows 10

Re: .aup file reference and .wav instead of .au

Permanent link to this post Posted by steve » Tue Jan 03, 2017 1:27 am

qwertquadrat wrote:In Blender most of the used files can be stored anywhere, because Blender only links to the files by default. One can include linked files in the Blender project file, but for video editing, files can easily get large - so that is mostly not a good idea. Usually one will end up creating a project folder manually and storing every used media file in this folder.

Thanks, that what I thought.

So if the files that you are using in Blender are in a lossless format (WAV), then you could just import a track into Audacity, process it (but do not do anything that will change the length), then export as WAV and overwrite the original WAV file. (I don't usually recommend overwriting the source file as it's too easy to mess up ;) Take whatever precautions you feel necessary.)

To overwrite the original file, you should have "Make a copy" selected as the Import option: http://manual.audacityteam.org/man/impo ... tml#import
9/10 questions are answered in the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)
steve
Senior Forum Staff
 
Posts: 43920
Joined: Sat Dec 01, 2007 11:43 am
Operating System: Linux *buntu

Re: .aup file reference and .wav instead of .au

Permanent link to this post Posted by qwertquadrat » Tue Jan 03, 2017 4:13 pm

I'm not sure what the new point is, so I answer again with the citation in which I thought I already answered to this question (again perhaps "sound strip" should be replaced by "audio clip" for a better understanding):
qwertquadrat wrote:That is kinda what I already did in my previous projects: First to take every sound strip, edit it in Audacity and then import it in Blender. So one had to edit every sound strip individually - and hope that everything matches later on. That is okay for small projects, but not for large ones, where one want to edit one sound strip dependent on how the others sound.

Just to mention an important feature that one can't use if one edit every sound file individually is the "Playback Meter" of Audacity. An important and basic point in editing audio for video is to ensure the volume of each clip matches. As Blender does support audio only very roughly, there is no playback meter in Blender. So even the fine tuning of the volume envelopes would be done much easier in Audacity than in Blender - If one can edit the whole audio at once and not only one clip at a time.
qwertquadrat
 
Posts: 14
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2016 8:21 pm
Operating System: Windows 10

Re: .aup file reference and .wav instead of .au

Permanent link to this post Posted by Gale Andrews » Tue Jan 03, 2017 5:54 pm

qwertquadrat wrote:
Gale Andrews wrote:Can these sound strips be exported as multichannel WAV files? Audacity can import such a file one track per channel.

Sadly not out of the box :/ (and I am not aware of any add-on that implements such a feature)
Would that mean btw. that every channel would then be mono? And would you still have to apply the envelopes? Or does WAV support them?
If that preserves stereo, it would of course be an idea to develop a multichannel WAV export add-on for Blender instead.

Any multi-channel file that might be saved by Blender would be a mixdown according to the channel allocation of the format. For WAV 5.1 the first channel would be front left, the second front right, third front right and so on. So panning would already be baked in but could be changed in Audacity.

Do I assume from your further post though that your clips are all stereo and not part of a mix. Are they simply strung out in time?


Gale
________________________________________FOR INSTANT HELP: (Click on Link below)
* * * * * Tips * * * * * Tutorials * * * * * Quick Start Guide * * * * * Audacity Manual
Gale Andrews
Quality Assurance
 
Posts: 26094
Joined: Fri Jul 27, 2007 12:02 am
Operating System: Windows 10

Re: .aup file reference and .wav instead of .au

Permanent link to this post Posted by qwertquadrat » Tue Jan 03, 2017 6:19 pm

Gale Andrews wrote:Do I assume from your further post though that your clips are all stereo

Mostly yes. Some sound effects are mono. And depending on the project, there is also a narrators voice that is mono.

Gale Andrews wrote:Are they simply strung out in time?

No. For example an actors voice, sound effects, music and ambient sound are played at the same time. Although they do not necessairly start at the same time btw.
qwertquadrat
 
Posts: 14
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2016 8:21 pm
Operating System: Windows 10

Re: .aup file reference and .wav instead of .au

Permanent link to this post Posted by Gale Andrews » Tue Jan 03, 2017 6:34 pm

qwertquadrat wrote:
Gale Andrews wrote:Do I assume from your further post though that your clips are all stereo

Mostly yes. Some sound effects are mono. And depending on the project, there is also a narrators voice that is mono.

Gale Andrews wrote:Are they simply strung out in time?

No. For example an actors voice, sound effects, music and ambient sound are played at the same time. Although they do not necessairly start at the same time btw.

Are each of those (actor's voice, sound effects...) in their own line going from left to right? Is there only one clip in that line, or multiple clips in each line? Can you save multiple clips in one line as one file?


Gale
________________________________________FOR INSTANT HELP: (Click on Link below)
* * * * * Tips * * * * * Tutorials * * * * * Quick Start Guide * * * * * Audacity Manual
Gale Andrews
Quality Assurance
 
Posts: 26094
Joined: Fri Jul 27, 2007 12:02 am
Operating System: Windows 10

Re: .aup file reference and .wav instead of .au

Permanent link to this post Posted by qwertquadrat » Tue Jan 03, 2017 7:24 pm

Gale Andrews wrote:Are each of those (actor's voice, sound effects...) in their own line going from left to right?

Depends obviously on how one arranges them. In the past I did that roughly, but sometimes multiple sound effects or two music clips fading in each other occur so one has to break the scheme and use an extra channel for them. For sound recorded on set one wants to sync it with the video, so it is handy to use channels for this audio that are close to the ones that are used for the video - Because on moving the video clip one can then easily also grab the related sound and ensure they stay in sync.

Gale Andrews wrote:Can you save multiple clips in one line as one file?

Not directly. One could of course copy each clip in one channel to an empty project and mix down the audio.
qwertquadrat
 
Posts: 14
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2016 8:21 pm
Operating System: Windows 10

PreviousNext

Return to General Audio Programming



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest