.aup file reference and .wav instead of .au

Audio software developers forum.

If you require help using Audacity, please post on the forum board relevant to your operating system:
Windows
Mac OS X
GNU/Linux and Unix-like

Re: .aup file reference and .wav instead of .au

Permanent link to this post Posted by Gale Andrews » Tue Jan 03, 2017 7:33 pm

qwertquadrat wrote:
Gale Andrews wrote:Can you save multiple clips in one line as one file?

Not directly. One could of course copy each clip in one channel to an empty project and mix down the audio.

If this preserves the timeline position of each clip this might be the best you can do.

Gale
________________________________________FOR INSTANT HELP: (Click on Link below)
* * * * * Tips * * * * * Tutorials * * * * * Quick Start Guide * * * * * Audacity Manual
Gale Andrews
Quality Assurance

Operating System: Windows 10

Re: .aup file reference and .wav instead of .au

Permanent link to this post Posted by steve » Tue Jan 03, 2017 7:34 pm

qwertquadrat wrote:That is kinda what I already did in my previous projects: First to take every sound strip, edit it in Audacity and then import it in Blender. So one had to edit every sound strip individually - and hope that everything matches later on

Another terminology issue. I regard "editing" as "cut / copy / paste / delete" and so on. Things like noise reduction, amplifying, panning, filtering and so on, I refer to as "processing".

If "editing", the clip lengths are likely to change, which will mess up the blender project. If "processing", avoiding any process that might change the length, and use WAV format only, you are in effect processing the clips "in place" with no risk of desynchronising your blender project.

I realise that you want to be able to move the entire audio part of the blender project into Audacity as an Audacity project, then move it back into blender, retaining the same clip/sound strip structure in both applications, but I don't think that's going to work because blender projects and Audacity projects are too different - not compatible. I think the best you will manage is to handle the "multi-clip project" in blender, and use Audacity to extend the audio processing capability - processing the audio files that are used in the blender project.

If you manage to get closer to your "ideal" process, I'd be interested to hear how.
9/10 questions are answered in the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)
steve
Site Admin

Operating System: Linux *buntu

Previous

Return to General Audio Programming