GUI plugins, custom format plugins

Anything you think is missing, or needs enhancement, goes here.

If you require help using Audacity, please post on the forum board relevant to your operating system:
Windows
Mac OS X
GNU/Linux and Unix-like

GUI plugins, custom format plugins

Permanent link to this post Posted by Ondrej » Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:36 pm

Hi,

I work in speech research and I use audacity on a daily basis, however, there are lots of tiny things that would make my (and other researchers, I assume) life sooo much easier. I would be willing to write plugin for these things and share them, but it seems like plugins are only available for the audio signal processing. Here's a list of features that I'd appreciate so much, so perhaps someone might help with directing me to an appropriate documentation:

* custom label format --- I use labels, but they are in a slightly different format --- is there a way of writing a plugin that does a simple time conversion before loading the label file?
* importing raw audio and labels from command line --- I run audacity in linux and very often I would like to open raw files and/or labels from a command line. Is there a way to do it?
* pre-selecting different parameters for raw audio import (right now, the pre-filled value for sampling frequency of a raw file is 44100Hz, but I mostly work with 8kHz files, so it's very anoying to change the field each time I'm loading a file)

So most of the things are GUI-related.

Thank you
Ondrej

Operating System: GNU/Linux other

Re: GUI plugins, custom format plugins

Permanent link to this post Posted by steve » Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:15 pm

It looks to me like you need a customised version of Audacity rather than plug-ins. Do you program in C++?
9/10 questions are answered in the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)
steve
Site Admin

Operating System: Linux *buntu

Permanent link to this post Posted by Ondrej » Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:20 pm

I do a bit, yes.
Ondrej

Permanent link to this post Posted by steve » Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:31 pm

The first step in building a custom version, is to build a standard unmodified version first. Once you've got that working you can then begin studying and modifying the code.
Basic build instructions for Linux are here: https://github.com/audacity/audacity/bl ... er/INSTALL
9/10 questions are answered in the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)
steve
Site Admin

Operating System: Linux *buntu

Permanent link to this post Posted by Ondrej » Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:35 am

Thanks, will give it a try. Much appreciated
Ondrej

Return to Adding Features to Audacity