6 features

Anything you think is missing, or needs enhancement, goes here.

If you require help using Audacity, please post on the forum board relevant to your operating system:
Windows
Mac OS X
GNU/Linux and Unix-like

Re: 6 features

Permanent link to this post Posted by Trebor » Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:55 am

Audacity has a variety of spectrogram settings ...

Some Audacity Spectrogram settings.gif
Click on this image to see it in its entirety
Some Audacity Spectrogram settings.gif (666.39 KiB) Viewed 461 times

Adjusting the "Colors" parameters will change the brightness & contrast of the spectrogram.
Trebor

Operating System: Windows Vista

Permanent link to this post Posted by Piotr Grochowski » Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:35 pm

But there is no option for linear volume scale. And linear/logarithmic volume scale doesn't make any sense with colors, so I'm talking about grayscale.
Piotr Grochowski

Operating System: Windows 10

Permanent link to this post Posted by Piotr Grochowski » Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:50 am

Time for round 2 of low contrast - overtones.

This is 396Hz square wave, in 50688Hz, with 100% volume. Both spectrograms are grayscale. Photosounder is not a made-up program, and it's not made by me. Audacity has 4096 window size, while Photosounder has default time-frequency settings.

In Audacity spectrogram, the overtones all look black. In Photosounder spectrogram, volume decaying is visible. Also, in Audacity spectrogram, the square wave appears to start and end very unsmoothly, when I don't hear it as much unsmooth.
Piotr Grochowski

Permanent link to this post Posted by steve » Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:25 am

1000 Hz Square wave in both the simple (default) form and the "No Alias" version.
Spectrogram settings tweaked to show the specific features that I'm interested in - in this case, the low aliasing overtones in the simple form of the square wave compared to the no-alias square wave.

Personally I prefer the colour spectrogram (there's a reason why it's called a "spectro"gram ;)
but even the grayscale version shows the aliasing clearly with appropriate spectrogram settings.

tracks000.png
tracks000.png (40.89 KiB) Viewed 426 times

tracks001.png
tracks001.png (48.26 KiB) Viewed 426 times

Piotr Grochowski wrote:Photosounder is not a made-up program, and it's not made by me.

Yes I'm familiar with Photosounder. You may also be interested in Sonic Visualiser http://www.sonicvisualiser.org/
9/10 questions are answered in the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)
steve
Site Admin

Operating System: Linux *buntu

Permanent link to this post Posted by Piotr Grochowski » Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:01 pm

I don't want TWEAKED... I want LINEAR volume scale! Not the dB one...
Also, Photosounder normalizes viewed spectrogram, so you can distinguish, say, 1.3 from 1.

Also, I'm not talking about aliasing. 396Hz square wave on 50688Hz sample rate has no aliasing, because period is exactly 128. I'm talking about OVERTONE contrast (they all appear black), not ALIASING contrast. Please, I don't want WORKAROUNDS. I want LINEAR volume scale. Photosounder has one, gamma corrected.

And for 5 other feature suggestions, you should read the post that starts the topic.
Piotr Grochowski

Permanent link to this post Posted by steve » Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:16 pm

Please don't "shout".

Piotr Grochowski wrote:I want LINEAR volume scale!

Yes, we've got that point, thank you.
steve
Site Admin

Permanent link to this post Posted by Piotr Grochowski » Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:28 am

Please add plans to do 8-bit PCM. You seriously seem to want to be mean to us.
Piotr Grochowski

Permanent link to this post Posted by steve » Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:39 am

Piotr Grochowski wrote:Please add plans to do 8-bit PCM. You seriously seem to want to be mean to us.

I'm not being mean, I'm being realistic. No-one is going to add support for working in 8-bit PCM because there are no practical benefits for doing so.

Here are 3 simple ways to achieve 8-bit sound quality:

1) Export in an 8-bit file format.

2) Set the audio tracks to 16-bit, then Amplify by -48 dB, then amplify again back up to a reasonable level.

3) Apply this code in the Nyquist Prompt effect to achieve genuine "8-bit quality":
Code: Select all
;version 4
(quantize *track* 127)
steve
Site Admin

Permanent link to this post Posted by Piotr Grochowski » Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:42 am

I don't care about practical uses. I want you to make a new audio program then, called "Audacity for fun". It has all features and updates of Audacity, but also accepts requests without practical uses. 16-bit, 24-bit or float isn't the same thing as 8-bit, and functions will give differing results.

"Export in an 8-bit file format."

I want native 8-bit, not just in saved files.

"Set the audio tracks to 16-bit, then Amplify by -48 dB, then amplify again back up to a reasonable level."

No. -32768 becomes -130, not -128. Even better, I want native 8-bit.

"Apply this code in the Nyquist Prompt effect to achieve genuine "8-bit quality":"

I want native 8-bit, not just ability to convert to 8-bit.
Piotr Grochowski

Permanent link to this post Posted by steve » Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:52 pm

Piotr Grochowski wrote:I want native 8-bit.

OK, I'm sure we can do that. I estimate that it will cost around $60000. How will you pay?
steve
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Adding Features to Audacity