6 features

Anything you think is missing, or needs enhancement, goes here.

If you require help using Audacity, please post on the forum board relevant to your operating system:
Windows
Mac OS X
GNU/Linux and Unix-like

Re: 6 features

Permanent link to this post Posted by Piotr Grochowski » Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:14 pm

steve wrote:
Piotr Grochowski wrote:I want native 8-bit.

OK, I'm sure we can do that. I estimate that it will cost around $60000. How will you pay?

No! I want it in free Audacity, not a paid program.

Make a free "Audacity for fun" that supports 8-bit PCM.
Piotr Grochowski

Operating System: Windows 10

Permanent link to this post Posted by Piotr Grochowski » Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:10 pm

Here is comparison of equal harmonics and sawtooth wave (where harmonics decrease):
They look very similar. Linear volume scale would fix this.
Piotr Grochowski

Permanent link to this post Posted by Piotr Grochowski » Sat Sep 09, 2017 6:43 pm

Photosounder got it right. It uses a gamma-corrected linear volume scale, and it always normalizes spectrograms. In white noise, bass is correctly darker (quieter) because bass is more magnified in logarithmic than linear (I mean the frequency scale logarithmic/linear this time, not the other logarithmic/linears). Scale can be varied by gradient.png file. Unlike logarithmic volume scale, linear volume scale has its minimum, just like brightness, so linear volume scale is accurate. Audacity miserably fails with trying to make quietest sounds visible, and ending up with horrible contrast. Normalizing spectrograms is a way to properly show volumes above 1 in spectrograms. Please. If you think there is no problem with current system, explain the dB marks on the gain thingies.

Step 1: make volume scale linear (please this!).
Step 2: make colors adjustable.
This is what it will look like after these steps: http://i.imgur.com/cfuZz55.png

Step 3: use higher default window size, to reduce confusion
Step 4: don't temporarily crash when loading spectrograms, instead allow user to use it. keep certain resolution images of spectrograms in memory for view before loading pixel resolution
Step 5: automatically normalize spectrograms.
Step 6: use gamma correction.
Step 7: allow custom gradients as image.
Step 8: make bass quieter to compensate for bass magnifying.
Step 9: use some filtering on frequency instead of nearest neighbor filtering.
Step 10: allow more algorithms, like band-pass filter and envelope detection (this allows for customizable time-frequency resolution for different frequencies)
Step 11: realize that these steps make it easier for many people.

There you go. A step solution is much less likely to completely fail. Photosounder uses these already.
Piotr Grochowski

Previous

Return to Adding Features to Audacity