Noise Gate with a sidechain?

Anything you think is missing, or needs enhancement, goes here.

If you require help using Audacity, please post on the forum board relevant to your operating system:
Windows
Mac OS X
GNU/Linux and Unix-like

Noise Gate with a sidechain?

Permanent link to this post Posted by barry.beattie » Fri Apr 28, 2017 3:42 pm

Hi all

I'm looking for a Noise Gate that has a side-chain facility so a different track/audio source can open and close a gate a track.

For those who aren't sure what I mean, see this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pS5Qp1ZVJQo

In other words, nothing passes on the track with the gate over it unless the threashold is reached on a different track plugged into the sidechain

Thanks in anticipation.

Cheers
Barry
barry.beattie

Operating System: Windows 10

Re: Noise Gate with a sidechain?

Permanent link to this post Posted by steve » Fri Apr 28, 2017 4:59 pm

Topic moved to "Adding Features".

Thank you for your suggestion. We already have a feature request logged:
"Built-in Noise Gate
Should include real-time preview and optional side chain filter, where the trigger for the Gate would be another track or a filtered version of the current track or another track"

so I've added your 'vote' for this feature.
9/10 questions are answered in the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)
steve
Site Admin

Operating System: Linux *buntu

Permanent link to this post Posted by kozikowski » Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:53 pm

The nit-picker is raising his hand.
This isn't a side chain noise gate. This is a side chain gate.
A gating effect is cause to happen from work on a second sound channel. It does not trigger a gate that then starts evaluating and processing noise.

Koz
kozikowski
Forum Staff

Operating System: OS X 10.9 Mavericks

Permanent link to this post Posted by steve » Fri Apr 28, 2017 7:42 pm

kozikowski wrote:This isn't a side chain noise gate. This is a side chain gate.

You're right. The nit-picker wins :D
steve
Site Admin

Permanent link to this post Posted by Trebor » Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:38 pm

barry.beattie wrote:I'm looking for a Noise Gate that has a side-chain facility so a different track/audio source can open and close a gate a track.

An envelope-follower may suffice ...
envelope-follower demo.flac
(899.11 KiB) Downloaded 19 times
Trebor

Operating System: Windows Vista

Permanent link to this post Posted by barry.beattie » Sat Apr 29, 2017 1:21 am

steve wrote:
kozikowski wrote:This isn't a side chain noise gate. This is a side chain gate.

You're right. The nit-picker wins :D

LOL! The hardware gates I've used (with sidechain facility) are still gates with the second (gate controlling) signal plugged directly into the detector circut. Some have SEND/RECEIVE jacks for the detector circut with a bridge to join them together (sometimes a simple piece of wire) when the sidechain isn't in use...

... but they're still sold as "Noise Gates"... because of the other "gate" controls are still needed, not just the side-chain.

I was wondering how to setup the detector audio track to control the track to be processed, but I've started to use the Auto-Duck (for a different job) and putting the detector track UNDER the track to be processed works just fine... as long as you can select (as in highlight the few seconds or whatever) what part of the track to be process should be affected... just like the Auto-Duck. I mention this in case that part of the Auto-Duck code can be re-used for the side-chain idea.

Just my 2c.

Thanks
barry.beattie

Permanent link to this post Posted by steve » Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:48 am

barry.beattie wrote:I was wondering how to setup the detector audio track to control the track to be processed, but I've started to use the Auto-Duck (for a different job) and putting the detector track UNDER the track to be processed works just fine...

Funnily enough, that is one aspect of Auto Duck that I really don't like. It is not really 'intuitive'. I can remember that the track(s) to be modified must be selected (just like all other effects), but I forget whether the control track needs to be above or below the selected track(s). Wouldn't it be better if the effect had a drop-down list (multiple choice control) with a list of available tracks so that you can select any available track in the project as the control track?
steve
Site Admin

Permanent link to this post Posted by Gale Andrews » Sat Apr 29, 2017 3:34 pm

steve wrote:
barry.beattie wrote:I was wondering how to setup the detector audio track to control the track to be processed, but I've started to use the Auto-Duck (for a different job) and putting the detector track UNDER the track to be processed works just fine...

Funnily enough, that is one aspect of Auto Duck that I really don't like. It is not really 'intuitive'. I can remember that the track(s) to be modified must be selected (just like all other effects), but I forget whether the control track needs to be above or below the selected track(s). Wouldn't it be better if the effect had a drop-down list (multiple choice control) with a list of available tracks so that you can select any available track in the project as the control track?

You could start a new Adding Features topic about that. It might get some votes.

Gale
________________________________________FOR INSTANT HELP: (Click on Link below)
* * * * * Tips * * * * * Tutorials * * * * * Quick Start Guide * * * * * Audacity Manual
Gale Andrews
Quality Assurance

Permanent link to this post Posted by Trebor » Sat Apr 29, 2017 11:34 pm

barry.beattie wrote:... nothing passes on the track with the gate over it unless the threashold is reached on a different track ...

I've put Steve's envelope-follower code into a plugin (attached) ...

Envelope-Follower plugin in action.gif
Envelope-Follower plugin in action.gif (35.85 KiB) Viewed 713 times

You could use a gate after the envelope-follower, (but that's optional).
Attachments
ENV-FOL.ny
(2.01 KiB) Downloaded 26 times
Trebor

Operating System: Windows Vista

Permanent link to this post Posted by barry.beattie » Thu May 04, 2017 12:11 pm

cool!

Will give this a solid attempt over the weekend. Thanks. I'm still a n00B to Audacity and didn't have a clue what to do with Steve's E-F code.

Cheers
B
barry.beattie

Next

Return to Adding Features to Audacity