BBC Meters

Anything you think is missing, or needs enhancement, goes here.

If you require help using Audacity, please post on the forum board relevant to your operating system:
Windows
Mac OS X
GNU/Linux and Unix-like

BBC Meters

Permanent link to this post Posted by kozikowski » Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:00 pm

How about a BBC ballistics option for the sound meters? I'm not in love with the 1-7 meter range, but I do like rapid attack and slow recovery. That makes the readings much easier to perceive, particularly if you're trying to read your script and watch the meters at the same time.

Jury's out on the ability to ignore "Broadcast Insignificant Peaks." That's probably pushing the metaphor.

Oh, and can you make the meters come to rest full up when you power Audacity off? :roll:

Koz
kozikowski
Forum Staff

Operating System: OS X 10.9 Mavericks

Re: BBC Meters

Permanent link to this post Posted by steve » Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:14 am

kozikowski wrote:Oh, and can you make the meters come to rest full up when you power Audacity off? :roll:

That bit's a joke, yes?

I think meters are an example of a feature that would benefit greatly from "modular plug-in" design.
Unfortunately, there has been no development of the "modules" API for several years, and although there is experimental support for modules ("Nyquist WorkBench" as an example), comments in the code advise against spending too much time developing modules until the API has been improved.

I'd love there to be several other types of meter available as "modules" so that the user can choose what they want, but developing the modules API is beyond my pay scale.
9/10 questions are answered in the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)
steve
Site Admin

Operating System: Linux *buntu

Permanent link to this post Posted by Gale Andrews » Thu Apr 13, 2017 2:49 pm

If you want this added to our Feature Requests, please rewrite it being specific as to what features you want. For example are you asking for an LUFS/True Peak meter ?

Gale

kozikowski wrote:How about a BBC ballistics option for the sound meters? I'm not in love with the 1-7 meter range, but I do like rapid attack and slow recovery. That makes the readings much easier to perceive, particularly if you're trying to read your script and watch the meters at the same time.

Jury's out on the ability to ignore "Broadcast Insignificant Peaks." That's probably pushing the metaphor.

Oh, and can you make the meters come to rest full up when you power Audacity off? :roll:

Koz
________________________________________FOR INSTANT HELP: (Click on Link below)
* * * * * Tips * * * * * Tutorials * * * * * Quick Start Guide * * * * * Audacity Manual
Gale Andrews
Quality Assurance

Operating System: Windows 10

Permanent link to this post Posted by kozikowski » Sat Apr 15, 2017 10:36 pm

The original BBC meters were in the cathode of a vacuum tube (valve) and measured the conductance of the valve over the course of a show. Any non-linearity or strange characteristics in the valve were simply built into the specification. The one flag-waving oddity was after the show when the meter resorted to full-up when the mixing desk was powered off.
please rewrite it being specific as to what features you want.

So you want me, living as I do in Sunny Southern California (land of fruits and nuts) to describe to you a British Broadcasting Corporation Peak Program Meter?

Koz
kozikowski
Forum Staff

Permanent link to this post Posted by steve » Sat Apr 15, 2017 11:51 pm

I presume that you (koz) are not particularly concerned about strict compliance with BS 6840-10:1991 or IEC 60268-10:1991 but more interested in fast peak response and 2 to 3 second drop back time?
steve
Site Admin

Permanent link to this post Posted by kozikowski » Sun Apr 16, 2017 1:00 am

Correct, although it would be nice if both the attack and release conform. Jury's out on the specification intentionally ignoring some peaks. That's firmly buried in the weeds—I'm not sure where to go with that.

It's totally worth the whimsy factor if one of the display options was 0.5 through 7.5.

Stay below 6!!!!!

Koz
kozikowski
Forum Staff

Permanent link to this post Posted by Gale Andrews » Sun Apr 16, 2017 1:29 pm

kozikowski wrote:So you want me, living as I do in Sunny Southern California (land of fruits and nuts) to describe to you a British Broadcasting Corporation Peak Program Meter?

I an not an Audio Engineer by profession. Before replying I read https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peak_programme_meter which tells me there are many different kinds of PPM meter. It shows me a BBC PPM meter from 1 to 7 but you said you did not want those values. :?

We can't add Feature Requests unless they are clear. However if all you are asking for is "fast peak response and 2 to 3 second drop back time" then you already voted for that a couple of years ago so this is null and void.

Gale
* * * * * Tips * * * * * Tutorials * * * * * Quick Start Guide * * * * * Audacity Manual
Gale Andrews
Quality Assurance

Permanent link to this post Posted by steve » Sun Apr 16, 2017 1:35 pm

Gale Andrews wrote:if all you are asking for is "fast peak response and 2 to 3 second drop back time" then you already voted for that a couple of years ago so this is null and void.

It's still a good idea though ;)
steve
Site Admin

Permanent link to this post Posted by Gale Andrews » Sun Apr 16, 2017 1:37 pm

kozikowski wrote:Correct, although it would be nice if both the attack and release conform.

Conform to what, given you asked for them to be different?

Gale
Gale Andrews
Quality Assurance

Permanent link to this post Posted by Gale Andrews » Sun Apr 16, 2017 1:39 pm

steve wrote:
Gale Andrews wrote:if all you are asking for is "fast peak response and 2 to 3 second drop back time" then you already voted for that a couple of years ago so this is null and void.

It's still a good idea though ;)

Is that then a +1 from Steve? Is it a metering option, or does everyone see it?

Gale
Gale Andrews
Quality Assurance

Next

Return to Adding Features to Audacity