Multiple sessions

Help for Audacity 2.x.x on Windows.

ImageThis forum is for Audacity 2.x.x on Windows.

• Please state which version of Windows you are using, the exact three-section version of Audacity from "Help menu > About Audacity".

• Audacity 1.2.x and 1.3.x are obsolete and no longer supported. If you still have those versions, please upgrade at https://www.audacityteam.org/download/.
    The old forums for those versions are now closed, but you can still read the archives of the 1.2.x and 1.3.x forums.

Multiple sessions

Permanent link to this post Posted by Cynyster » Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:29 am

I am not sure what I am asking is even a "Feature" but more of a consequence of earlier versions of audio software.
I generally cover high school sports. I have been using "Adobe Audition 1.5" for over a decade.
This particular version does the one thing that later versions and audacity does not do at all.
That is multiple sessions.

Meaning...
That while I am covering an event I will have 5-10 windows of adobe audition open.
All recording from the same audio device (in this case a USB codec).

When something significant happens in the game, I will stop one session and edit the end to get the highlight that I want.
All the while the other instances of audition are still recording undisturbed.

As you might imagine, audition 1.5 does not play so nice with windows 10.

Is there a way that I can duplicate this workflow with Audacity? If not now, how difficult would it be to implement in a future version.

Thank you for your time.

Cheers
Cynyster

Operating System: Windows 10

Re: Multiple sessions

Permanent link to this post Posted by steve » Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:04 pm

Cynyster wrote:Is there a way that I can duplicate this workflow with Audacity? If not now, how difficult would it be to implement in a future version.

Only one Audacity instance can record (or play) at one time. My guess is that it would be very difficult to change that.

What you can do is to make one recording and add labels (markers) whenever anything significant happens (Ctrl+M)
http://manual.audacityteam.org/man/label_tracks.html
9/10 questions are answered in the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)
steve
Site Admin

Operating System: Linux *buntu

Permanent link to this post Posted by Cynyster » Sun Mar 26, 2017 3:47 pm

Ahhh That is a shame.
Typically "Highlights" need to be saved and sent off for playback during the next break (sometimes in as little as 5 minutes from when they happen in real time)

Thank you for your reply.

Cheers
Cynyster

Permanent link to this post Posted by steve » Sun Mar 26, 2017 7:08 pm

Cynyster wrote:Typically "Highlights" need to be saved and sent off for playback during the next break (sometimes in as little as 5 minutes from when they happen in real time)

Add your markers (labels) in real-time (while recording), then as soon as you get to the break, "Export Multiple" based on labels. See: http://manual.audacityteam.org/man/export_multiple.html
(have a practice run at home before you need to do it for real)
9/10 questions are answered in the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)
steve
Site Admin

Operating System: Linux *buntu

Permanent link to this post Posted by waxcylinder » Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:18 am

Or use two (or more) computers.

WC
________________________________________FOR INSTANT HELP: (Click on Link below)
* * * * * FAQ * * * * * Tutorials * * * * * Audacity Manual * * * * * Audacity Wiki * * * * *
waxcylinder
Forum Staff

Return to Windows