Consider a project of only unmodified tracks to be "clean"

Anything you think is missing, or needs enhancement, goes here.

If you require help using Audacity, please post on the forum board relevant to your operating system:
Windows
Mac OS X
GNU/Linux and Unix-like

Re: Consider a project of only unmodified tracks to be "clea

Permanent link to this post Posted by Edgar » Wed Nov 09, 2016 3:10 pm

Oh yeah, the wording I used for the checkbox's label was just a placeholder <grin>.
-Edgar
compiling Audacity daily
64-bit Windows 7
Edgar
Forum Crew

Operating System: Windows 7

Permanent link to this post Posted by Edgar » Wed Nov 09, 2016 3:30 pm

Gale Andrews wrote:Thanks, Ed and Steve. My only problems with the Preferences checkboxes were that I thought it dangerous to just put the control(s) directly in Warnings Preferences or in a new "Advanced" node in the Preferences tree. I think you said that trying to hide the controls behind an "Advanced..." button inside a Preferences pane meant that cancelling Preferences would not throw out the changes made in the "Advanced" dialogue.

I understand that you are concerned about the danger. I just lost 10 days worth of work in another application because muscle memory (and old age memory) caused me to delete 1.2 terabytes of data at the (verbal) press of a button; just a few weeks ago I had ticked the box "never show again" on that nag! My position has changed slightly. I still feel very strongly that there should be NO hidden preferences. I now also would not strongly support the single option: "never show again – no matter how dirty". I think that whatever design we come up with should be extensible; maybe a single checkbox in Preferences to honor or ignore "cleanliness" plus an additional column of checkboxes in the Effects Manager that allows the user to designate each Effect's "cleanliness".

It is not impossible to write code that has a button in a Preferences pane which opens a new Dialog and then allows reversion of the user's choice in that new Dialog when Cancel is chosen after dismissing the Dialog in the Preferences pane. Code must be written to remember the state before the user opens the new Dialog then during the Cancel operation that state must be restored.
-Edgar
compiling Audacity daily
64-bit Windows 7
Edgar
Forum Crew

Permanent link to this post Posted by Gale Andrews » Wed Nov 09, 2016 3:45 pm

Edgar wrote:It is not impossible to write code that has a button in a Preferences pane which opens a new Dialog and then allows reversion of the user's choice in that new Dialog when Cancel is chosen after dismissing the Dialog in the Preferences pane. Code must be written to remember the state before the user opens the new Dialog then during the Cancel operation that state must be restored.

OK. Does dismissing the new dialogue include OK'ing it? In other words, should OK there still be over-ridden by Cancel in the main Preferences window? I think yes.

Gale
________________________________________FOR INSTANT HELP: (Click on Link below)
* * * * * Tips * * * * * Tutorials * * * * * Quick Start Guide * * * * * Audacity Manual
Gale Andrews
Quality Assurance

Operating System: Windows 10

Permanent link to this post Posted by Edgar » Wed Nov 09, 2016 3:55 pm

Gale Andrews wrote:
Edgar wrote:It is not impossible to write code that has a button in a Preferences pane which opens a new Dialog and then allows reversion of the user's choice in that new Dialog when Cancel is chosen after dismissing the Dialog in the Preferences pane.

OK. Does dismissing the new dialogue include OK'ing it? In other words, should OK there still be over-ridden by Cancel in the main Preferences window?

Absolutely; when the initial Preferences pane is opened the state of the hidden checkbox(es) is memorized. The user's choices are overridden by those memorized values if Cancel is chosen.
-Edgar
compiling Audacity daily
64-bit Windows 7
Edgar
Forum Crew

Permanent link to this post Posted by steve » Wed Nov 09, 2016 4:39 pm

Returning to the OP's original proposition (emphasis mine):
tcbrack wrote:I use Audacity for playback and analysis, but not editing of audio files as part of my work. In this use case, the save project prompt that appears on exit is a nuisance.

There is an alternative approach to resolving this "nuisance" / "RSI" problem that is close to 100% safe,
requires no "hidden" settings and no dragon guardians.

That solution is to have a option in the GUI to put Audacity into "Play and Display" mode. In Play and Display mode, all editing is disabled, but all playing and viewing functions are enabled. If the user has unsaved work open when they enable Play and Display, they are immediately prompted to "save the project or restart Audacity" (Play and Display would require that there is no unsaved data). Audacity then remains in Play and Display mode until they turn off Play and Display and return to normal editing mode.
9/10 questions are answered in the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)
steve
Site Admin

Operating System: Linux *buntu

Permanent link to this post Posted by Gale Andrews » Wed Nov 09, 2016 5:30 pm

steve wrote:Returning to the OP's original proposition (emphasis mine):
tcbrack wrote:I use Audacity for playback and analysis, but not editing of audio files as part of my work. In this use case, the save project prompt that appears on exit is a nuisance.

There is an alternative approach to resolving this "nuisance" / "RSI" problem that is close to 100% safe,
requires no "hidden" settings and no dragon guardians.

That solution is to have a option in the GUI to put Audacity into "Play and Display" mode. In Play and Display mode, all editing is disabled, but all playing and viewing functions are enabled. If the user has unsaved work open when they enable Play and Display, they are immediately prompted to "save the project or restart Audacity" (Play and Display would require that there is no unsaved data). Audacity then remains in Play and Display mode until they turn off Play and Display and return to normal editing mode.

Thanks for the suggestion. Do you envisage Play and Display mode would be a button and its state written to audacity.cfg, so that Audacity could launch with that mode enabled?

Why is the restart needed as opposed to closing the project, saving changes or not?

Note that "editing" has different interpretations. As you'll recall, some of these users want to pan or amplify to look or listen better, but they don't think of that as "editing".

Gale
* * * * * Tips * * * * * Tutorials * * * * * Quick Start Guide * * * * * Audacity Manual
Gale Andrews
Quality Assurance

Permanent link to this post Posted by steve » Wed Nov 09, 2016 9:52 pm

Gale Andrews wrote:Note that "editing" has different interpretations. As you'll recall, some of these users want to pan or amplify to look or listen better, but they don't think of that as "editing".

The relevant interpretation to this proposal is: "does not modify the audio data".
If we chose to do so, this could include track gain and track pan.
Vertical and horizontal zoom are certainly included.

Gale Andrews wrote:Do you envisage Play and Display mode would be a button

TBD

Gale Andrews wrote:and its state written to audacity.cfg, so that Audacity could launch with that mode enabled?

Yes, I'd envisage it as "persistent until changed", though a possible alternative could be "per session".

If it is "persistent", then it could be helpful to have a different splash screen on launch to remind the user that they are in "play and view" mode.

Gale Andrews wrote:Why is the restart needed as opposed to closing the project, saving changes or not?

The important feature is that there can be no unsaved work open. The specific steps to get there are unimportant. Exit and relaunch is one way to get there. In the case of one open project, then closing the project is sufficient (saving changes or not).
9/10 questions are answered in the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)
steve
Site Admin

Operating System: Linux *buntu

Permanent link to this post Posted by waxcylinder » Tue Dec 13, 2016 11:07 am

BUMP
* * * * * FAQ * * * * * Tutorials * * * * * Audacity Manual * * * * * Audacity Wiki * * * * *
waxcylinder
Forum Staff

Permanent link to this post Posted by waxcylinder » Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:13 pm

re-BUMP
* * * * * FAQ * * * * * Tutorials * * * * * Audacity Manual * * * * * Audacity Wiki * * * * *
waxcylinder
Forum Staff

Permanent link to this post Posted by waxcylinder » Wed Mar 01, 2017 4:53 pm

and again BUMP
waxcylinder
Forum Staff

PreviousNext

Return to Adding Features to Audacity