Slim down the Click Track interface

Anything you think is missing, or needs enhancement, goes here.

If you require help using Audacity, please post on the forum board relevant to your operating system:
Windows
Mac OS X
GNU/Linux and Unix-like

Re: Slim down the Click Track interface

Permanent link to this post Posted by steve » Wed Sep 30, 2015 9:26 pm

Gale Andrews wrote:if there are fringe cases (tracks not intended to synchronize or not intended to mix?) where the track starts are required to stay put.

Is there such a use case? I've been trying to think of one but I've drawn a blank.
9/10 questions are answered in the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)
steve
Site Admin

Operating System: Linux *buntu

Permanent link to this post Posted by kozikowski » Mon Jan 04, 2016 10:22 pm

Jazz Piece for Piano, something like "4:08" that lasts 4:08 min.

In my opinion, we should not be designing software for one person, somewhere, who sometime in history needed a custom click track.

B Flat, Teutonic Glockenspiel. It's probably at that exact point we split generating a musical drum track from a simple metronome.

How many actual polished walnut and swinging weight metronomes do you know that can sound syncopated? That was such a successful instrument that I have an all-electronic version with similar controls, size and the same semi-pyramid shape. Oak. Not walnut.

I would not be surprised if they sampled an actual mechanical metronome to get the sound.

So lets do that and turn the drum people loose to their discussion of which MIDI interpretation to use for their drum track generator.

Koz
kozikowski
Forum Staff

Operating System: OS X 10.9 Mavericks

Permanent link to this post Posted by kozikowski » Tue Jan 05, 2016 2:32 am

Here. I made a sample (attached). I got my metronome out of the Hardware Archive (garage). That's 120 beats Per Minute according to the single speed dial on the front. The other control is On/Off.

According to the conversion table on the bottom, that qualifies as a Presto half-note.

I believe them.

Koz
Attachments
MetronomeSample.wav
(1.36 MiB) Downloaded 37 times
kozikowski
Forum Staff

Permanent link to this post Posted by steve » Tue Jan 05, 2016 8:33 am

kozikowski wrote:In my opinion, we should not be designing software for one person, somewhere, who sometime in history needed a custom click track.

B Flat, Teutonic Glockenspiel. It's probably at that exact point we split generating a musical drum track from a simple metronome.

How many actual polished walnut and swinging weight metronomes do you know that can sound syncopated? That was such a successful instrument that I have an all-electronic version with similar controls, size and the same semi-pyramid shape. Oak. Not walnut.

I would not be surprised if they sampled an actual mechanical metronome to get the sound.

So lets do that and turn the drum people loose to their discussion of which MIDI interpretation to use for their drum track generator.

You've persuaded me koz :)
steve
Site Admin

Permanent link to this post Posted by waxcylinder » Tue Mar 01, 2016 4:50 pm

@Steve, is this a suitable mini-project for you ??

Peter
________________________________________FOR INSTANT HELP: (Click on Link below)
* * * * * FAQ * * * * * Tutorials * * * * * Audacity Manual * * * * * Audacity Wiki * * * * *
waxcylinder
Forum Staff

Operating System: Windows 10

Permanent link to this post Posted by kozikowski » Wed Mar 02, 2016 4:15 am

Sample an actual mechanical metronome? I may know someone who has one—or knows where to get one. We should avoid making a simulation of an artistic version of an engineering implementation. Using a real one may turn out to be impractical, but I want someone to say that after I got a good recording.

Koz
kozikowski
Forum Staff

Permanent link to this post Posted by Trebor » Wed Mar 02, 2016 7:19 am

kozikowski wrote:Sample an actual mechanical metronome? I may know someone who has one—or knows where to get one.

There are some mechanical [clockwork] metronomes on Freesound ... http://www.freesound.org/search/?q=metronome

[ If you only want Public Domain samples ... http://www.freesound.org/search/?q=metr ... nced=0&g=1 ]
Trebor

Operating System: Windows Vista

Permanent link to this post Posted by kozikowski » Wed Mar 02, 2016 6:02 pm

And that's the exact reason I wanted to produce a fresh one.

That and I've never met a clockwork metronome.

Koz
kozikowski
Forum Staff

Permanent link to this post Posted by steve » Thu Mar 10, 2016 10:39 am

kozikowski wrote:Here. I made a sample (attached). I got my metronome out of the Hardware Archive (garage). That's 120 beats Per Minute according to the single speed dial on the front. The other control is On/Off.

Here you go koz.
One more control than your hardware metronome, and that's because Nyquist plug-ins don't yet have a "time widget" (so two controls for minutes and seconds).
The number of seconds is approximate because the "pendulum" of this metronome always completes a to-and-fro swing, guaranteeing that you always get at least the duration requested. (Can you stop a real metronome "instantly", accurate to 1/1000th second? No, neither can I :mrgreen: ).

Maximum duration that can be generated in one go is 61 minutes (one hour and 60 seconds). If you need longer, press the "K" key to go to the end of the track and run the generator again (no need to wind it up between consecutive operations), or copy and paste.

fullwindow-Metronome Track-000.png
fullwindow-Metronome Track-000.png (18.53 KiB) Viewed 684 times

The name of the effect is "Metronome Track..." (because it generates a metronome track).
Attachments
metronome-track.ny
(1.7 KiB) Downloaded 40 times
Last edited by steve on Sat Mar 12, 2016 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Updated plug-in. Tweaked the sound
steve
Site Admin

Permanent link to this post Posted by kozikowski » Thu Mar 10, 2016 7:28 pm

I gotta do this when I can get to a better machine.
Can you stop a real metronome "instantly", accurate to 1/1000th second?

Someone once complained about the 16 MIDI instruments not all starting at the same time. The same person who volunteered an actual clockwork metronome for recording (shortly) wanted me to find an actual orchestra where all the instruments started at once.

He said call him at home if I found one.

Koz
kozikowski
Forum Staff

PreviousNext

Return to Adding Features to Audacity