Sound / Silence Marker

Anything you think is missing, or needs enhancement, goes here.

If you require help using Audacity, please post on the forum board relevant to your operating system:
Windows
Mac OS X
GNU/Linux and Unix-like

Re: Sound / Silence Marker

Permanent link to this post Posted by AnotherAndrew » Mon Dec 16, 2013 12:58 am

Hello all,

Kudos to those (Steve) who have prompted my first post with this proposed / in development feature.

I'd just like to say I've been scouring the web these past few days for a tool which splits WAVs based on silence. There are so many that get close, but no cigar.

Frustratingly, having been a coder many years ago, what I'm hoping to achieve doesn't seem *that* hard, these programs just need more settings, GRRRR!!!

So imagine my glee when I discover that work is already underway that has the ability to:
- Select where the split point is placed relative to the silence (I prefer the end of the silence/start of sound, so as to preserve fade-outs)
- Set an OFFSET to the markers (likely in my case the beginning of the marker)

I'm sincerely hoping my only additional request is technically possible:
- the ability to use this in Audacity Chains

I'd love to finally, with some reasonable level of reliability, process 1000's of WAVs into their constituent tracks in bulk.

I've looked at around 12-15 pieces of software to do this, with varying degrees of failure. Slice Audio File Splitter by NCH Software has come close, but still cuts off fade outs and very small amounts at the beginning of a track ... what I'd give for a simple track marker offset!

Anyway, great work and I'll be keen to use it!

Andrew
AnotherAndrew

Operating System: Please select

Permanent link to this post Posted by steve » Mon Dec 16, 2013 1:35 am

AnotherAndrew wrote:- the ability to use this in Audacity Chains

You may be out of luck with that.
It would be possible to make Sound/Silence marker work in a Chain, but I suspect that would not help you because Export Multiple is not available in Chains. So although you would be able to create the labels you would not be able to export multiple files based on those labels.
9/10 questions are answered in the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)
steve
Senior Forum Staff

Operating System: Linux *buntu

Permanent link to this post Posted by AnotherAndrew » Mon Dec 16, 2013 2:54 am

Bugger! :(

So I guess there's a good reason why export multiple can't be chained? :D
AnotherAndrew

Permanent link to this post Posted by steve » Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:31 am

AnotherAndrew wrote:So I guess there's a good reason why export multiple can't be chained? :D

The Chains feature was originally designed to handle quite a limited range of commands as part of the (now obsolete) "CleanSpeech mode". Since then the functionality of Chains has been considerably expanded way beyond the original design. If Chains are to be expanded further, the whole feature should probably be redesigned from the ground up, which would be a lot of work and is not the highest priority for any of our current developers. I'm not aware of any intrinsic reason why Export Multiple could not be supported, but rather the practical consideration of having the developer resources to implement it.

I don't recall any previous requests for Export Multiple to be supported in Chains, so perhaps you would like to suggest this in a new topic the "Adding Features" section of this forum viewforum.php?f=20 Of course, requesting a feature does not mean that it will be implemented any time soon, but it does mean that your request is logged which can encourage development of the feature.
steve
Senior Forum Staff

Permanent link to this post Posted by Gale Andrews » Mon Dec 16, 2013 1:36 pm

steve wrote:I don't recall any previous requests for Export Multiple to be supported in Chains, so perhaps you would like to suggest this in a new topic the "Adding Features" section of this forum viewforum.php?f=20

There are already 11 votes for this on Wiki Feature Requests plus one other not yet added. So I'll add AnotherAndrew's vote for a total of 13 votes - no need to start another topic.

Gale
________________________________________FOR INSTANT HELP: (Click on Link below)
* * * * * Tips * * * * * Tutorials * * * * * Quick Start Guide * * * * * Audacity Manual
Gale Andrews
Quality Assurance

Operating System: Windows 10

Permanent link to this post Posted by AnotherAndrew » Tue Dec 17, 2013 1:04 am

Thanks to both Gale and Steve for your help.

While from a coding perspective, I can understand that Steve would rather see a rewrite rather than another incremental patch to what already sounds like a patchwork quilt, with confidence I can say that very few (if any) non-enterprise level sound packages seem to have the ability to do bulk processing like Audacity's chains, so it’s an invaluable feature giving the application a hefty lead over most tools, including the much revered (?) but less user friendly SoX. So a pretty big extension of that edge would be an ability to export multiple from markers - even if it was just another patch on the quilt :mrgreen:
AnotherAndrew

Permanent link to this post Posted by steve » Wed Sep 16, 2015 2:16 pm

Still waiting for some Nyquist Plug-in interface enhancements so that we can do a version that everyone is happy with.
steve
Senior Forum Staff

Permanent link to this post Posted by waxcylinder » Mon Jan 04, 2016 5:24 pm

steve wrote:Still waiting for some Nyquist Plug-in interface enhancements so that we can do a version that everyone is happy with.

BUMP
* * * * * FAQ * * * * * Tutorials * * * * * Audacity Manual * * * * * Audacity Wiki * * * * *
waxcylinder
Forum Staff

Permanent link to this post Posted by waxcylinder » Tue Mar 01, 2016 4:48 pm

and BUMP again
* * * * * FAQ * * * * * Tutorials * * * * * Audacity Manual * * * * * Audacity Wiki * * * * *
waxcylinder
Forum Staff

Permanent link to this post Posted by waxcylinder » Sat Apr 30, 2016 2:40 pm

Bumpity-bump
waxcylinder
Forum Staff

PreviousNext

Return to Adding Features to Audacity