Installing ASIO in Audacity

Building and customizing Audacity from the source code.

If you require help using Audacity, please post on the forum board relevant to your operating system:
Windows
Mac OS X
GNU/Linux and Unix-like

Installing ASIO in Audacity

Permanent link to this post Posted by DennisTheNewbee » Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:28 am

RE: Audacity 2.1.3, downloaded "exe", Using Win 7

Ref: http://wiki.audacityteam.org/wiki/ASIO_Audio_Interface

1) Do I download IDE 2015 or 2017, please?

2) Is the "Default" IDE install sufficient or what additional "Custom" mods must I include, please?

Thank you ! :?
DennisTheNewbee

Operating System: Windows 7

Re: Installing ASIO in Audacity

Permanent link to this post Posted by kozikowski » Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:33 am

You have a couple of odd things in your post. You don't install ASIO in Audacity. You create a whole new Audacity by compiling with ASIO services.
DennisTheNewbee

Have you ever compiled a program?

You could be an old hand with years compiling computer programs and just an Audacity newbee.

Koz
kozikowski
Forum Staff

Operating System: OS X 10.9 Mavericks

Permanent link to this post Posted by DennisTheNewbee » Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:07 am

Thank you for your reply, Koz.

Yes, I do understand Audacity must actually be recompiled. I've been a programmer/analyst in the business field (MIS) for 30+ years (now retired). BUT I'm well aware there's always a LOT to learn when beginning "a new project".

Oh, and I posted to the wrong area too, I think?

Any detailed guidance will be sincerely, sincerely appreciated.

Best Regards,
Denny
DennisTheNewbee

Permanent link to this post Posted by steve » Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:38 am

DennisTheNewbee wrote:Oh, and I posted to the wrong area too, I think?

No problem, at least we know that you are on Windows.
I've moved this topic to the "Compiling Audacity" board.

I would recommend that you first build a vanilla Release version of Audacity 2.1.3.
You will need the full Audacity source code, which is available here: https://github.com/audacity/audacity/releases
Then see the instructions here: http://wiki.audacityteam.org/wiki/Developing_On_Windows
See also the README.txt file in the source root for any details that may have changed since the wiki was last updated (I don't use Windows so I'm not sure if there are differences).

Hopefully you will then have a fully working release version of Audacity 2.1.3

When you got that working successfully, you will need to download the ASIO SDK from Steinberg (requires agreeing to terms & conditions), and see the instructions here: http://wiki.audacityteam.org/wiki/ASIO_Audio_Interface
9/10 questions are answered in the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)
steve
Site Admin

Operating System: Linux *buntu

Permanent link to this post Posted by DennisTheNewbee » Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:57 pm

THANK YOU !!
DennisTheNewbee

Permanent link to this post Posted by DennisTheNewbee » Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:28 pm

Hopefully I now have a "vanilla release" of 2.1.3 created. Thanks very much for directing me to read the super important "readme.txt" file in the source root !!!

Is there a file I might upload and play (and do minor edits) just to see if my efforts were successful? I'd like to resolve most errors before I begin really using Audacity.

As suggested, I will wait to install ASIO until all is well.
DennisTheNewbee

Permanent link to this post Posted by steve » Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:42 pm

Congratulations :-)

DennisTheNewbee wrote:Is there a file I might upload and play (and do minor edits) just to see if my efforts were successful?

Not sure what you want. MP3 files are plentiful on the Internet, or you could try making a test recording, or generate some sound from one of the effects in the Generate menu.
Have a look at the new "Tour Guide" for some things to try: http://manual.audacityteam.org/man/auda ... guide.html
9/10 questions are answered in the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)
steve
Site Admin

Operating System: Linux *buntu

Permanent link to this post Posted by Gale Andrews » Sat Apr 29, 2017 3:22 pm

DennisTheNewbee wrote:Thanks very much for directing me to read the super important "readme.txt" file in the source root !!!

I don't actually understand this. The yellow box at the top of the Developing on Windows page is not out of date. README is mainly about compiling Audacity on Linux. There is nothing there relevant to building on Windows except a link back to Developing on Windows.

The file that matters for Windows is win\compile.txt.

Gale
________________________________________FOR INSTANT HELP: (Click on Link below)
* * * * * Tips * * * * * Tutorials * * * * * Quick Start Guide * * * * * Audacity Manual
Gale Andrews
Quality Assurance

Operating System: Windows 10

Permanent link to this post Posted by DennisTheNewbee » Sat Apr 29, 2017 6:42 pm

Mam:

I mean no disrespect but I don’t understand your post either.

I am a newbee to Audacity and have spent a total of no more than 2.5 hours of productive time with this new system.

Thus I have had very little time to learn what documentation is available, or, where, in its various places, is located.

All I know is that I received the excellent suggestion to read and follow that readme file. As a result of following those instructions in that readme file, I have now successfully compiled Audacity and am able to successfully use the playback function.

Today, I will start to review the edit functions, and, study the conversion from MME to the ASIO driver.

And, I sincerely appreciate those who have already, in this short time, giving me a guiding hand -- rather than an admonition.
DennisTheNewbee

Permanent link to this post Posted by Gale Andrews » Sun Apr 30, 2017 1:32 pm

DennisTheNewbee wrote:Mam:

I'm a male.

DennisTheNewbee wrote:All I know is that I received the excellent suggestion to read and follow that readme file. As a result of following those instructions in that readme file, I have now successfully compiled Audacity and am able to successfully use the playback function.

My point is that there is nothing in README about compiling Audacity on Windows except a link to http://wiki.audacityteam.org/wiki/Developing_On_Windows. That is by design - if something new relevant to Windows compilation came up, it would also be in win/compile.txt referred to in Developing on Windows. I do compile on Windows, so I do know.

DennisTheNewbee wrote:giving me a guiding hand -- rather than an admonition.

I'm giving you a "guiding hand" too. You are very welcome to read README, but it contains nothing about compiling on Windows except the link Steve already gave you to Developing on Windows.

I'm just trying to save others who read this some time and possible confusion. Not all newbies are as astute as you are. Well done from me too on what you managed so far.

Gale
________________________________________FOR INSTANT HELP: (Click on Link below)
* * * * * Tips * * * * * Tutorials * * * * * Quick Start Guide * * * * * Audacity Manual
Gale Andrews
Quality Assurance

Operating System: Windows 10

Return to Compiling Audacity