Error MSB3721 building Audacity 2.1.2 for Windows [SOLVED]

Hello,

I am trying to build Audacity for Windows on Windows 10 using VS2015 and the first of the nearly 4000 errors I am currently getting is:

Error	MSB3721	The command "msgfmt -o "C:\Users\Robert\Development\audacity-master\win\Release\Languages\af\Audacity.mo"   ..\..\..\locale\af.po" exited with code 1.	locale	C:\Users\Robert\Development\audacity-master\win\Projects\locale\po.targets	45

Can anyone shed any light on this?
Thanks.

I am trying to build Audacity on Windows 10 using VS 2015 and I am getting several errors of the form:

Error	C1189	#error:  Macro definition of snprintf conflicts with Standard Library function declaration	lv2	C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\10\Include\10.0.10240.0\ucrt\stdio.h	1927

The thing is that I have already searched the code several times (using Windows file explorer) and /commented out/ every occurrence of “#define snprintf _snprintf”. Where can these extra macro definitions be hidden?

I am trying to build Audacity on Windows 10 using VS 2015 and I am getting several thousand pairs of errors of the form:

Error	C2039	'uintmax_t': is not a member of '`global namespace''	libnyquist	C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 14.0\VC\include\cstdint	53

and

Error	C2873	'uintmax_t': symbol cannot be used in a using-declaration	libnyquist	C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 14.0\VC\include\cstdint	53

The string value varies, but they all belong to cstdint.h . How can I get rid of these errors?

Topics merged. Please don’t post multiple topics about the same question.

I don’t build on Windows, but I see in the “compile.txt” file /win/ folder of the source code, that it says that “Microsoft Visual Studio 2013 C++” is required.

I’ve done everything, as far as I can tell, by the book, starting with a clean copy of the WXWidgets and Audacity sources, but unlike the case a couple of comments up, I don’t have conflicting versions of WXWidgets installed. Yet I still get the same missing zlib.h, wx/defs.h etc. errors.

As your case is unlike the topic you posted to, don’t post there. Topic merged. Please stay in this topic now.

Gale

OK. Sorry. I switched to using MVC++ 2013 before I posted that last comment and that’s why I commented on an existing topic relating to similar error messages building with that version rather than MVC++ 2015 which I had been trying previously.

Not so, we don’t claim support for VS2015.

The problem with VS2015 is this: Cannot Compile Audacity 2.1.1 in Windows 10 - #2 by Gale_Andrews - the easiest solution with VS2015 would be to change the platform toolset on all projects to Visual Studio 2013 (v120).

You don’t say what version of wxWidgets you are using. Use wx3.0.2 for best compatibility with Audacity.

If you want to build the locale project you need to install msgfmt. See win\compile.txt.

So if the problem is not now solved using VS2013, what is the exact problem?

Gale

I’ve resolved the problem with the missing zlib.h and other wx-related headers. It turned out that because VS 2015 hadn’t complained, I had forgotten to reboot after setting the WXWIN environment variable. With VS 2013 it seems you do have to reboot.

However now I am back with one of the errors I had when I originally posted:

Error   MSB3721   The command "msgfmt -o "C:\Users\Robert\Development\audacity-master\win\Release\Languages\af\Audacity.mo"   ..\..\..\locale\af.po" exited with code 1.   locale   C:\Users\Robert\Development\audacity-master\win\Projects\locale\po.targets   45

I read in another post that I needed to get hold of a copy of msgfmt.exe and install it in my path. I did that and then rebooted, but I’m still getting the same error. Actually, strictly speaking I’m getting that error half the time. The other half of the time when I build I get errors of this kind in po.targets in the locale project:

error MSB4175: The task factory "XamlTaskFactory" could not be loaded from the assembly "Microsoft.Build.Tasks.v12.0. The process cannot access the file 'C:\Users\Robert\AppData\Local\Temp\jdezx3zl.dll' because it is being used by another process

I don’t need any languages other than English, so if there is a way to save time by just leaving out the locales altogether I would be fine with that.

Build > Configuration Manager. Select the active configuration you are building then scroll down to the “locale” project and uncheck the “Build” box.

Gale

Thank you! I’ve got Audacity with ASIO built and working now.