Can I install new build alongside existing Audacity?

Building and customizing Audacity from the source code.

If you require help using Audacity, please post on the forum board relevant to your operating system:
Windows
Mac OS X
GNU/Linux and Unix-like

Can I install new build alongside existing Audacity?

Permanent link to this post Posted by rachalmers » Fri Feb 12, 2016 7:42 am

Probably a stupid question, but I have an existing Audacity running on my Mac - and I'm using it in production.

I have just built both Release and Debug versions, apparently successfully. But ... can I install either of the two while the existing production version is on this system? Or are they mutually exclusive? One day I'll buy a development machine...

thanks
Robert
rachalmers

Operating System: OS X 10.11 El Capitan or later (macOS)

Re: Can I install new build alongside existing Audacity?

Permanent link to this post Posted by Gale Andrews » Fri Feb 12, 2016 1:01 pm

rachalmers wrote:Probably a stupid question, but I have an existing Audacity running on my Mac - and I'm using it in production.

I have just built both Release and Debug versions, apparently successfully. But ... can I install either of the two while the existing production version is on this system? Or are they mutually exclusive? One day I'll buy a development machine..

In the context of running
Code: Select all
xcodebuild -configuration Release install

which I assume you mean, you have "installed" it to /tmp/Audacity.dst/.

You can move it to /Applications if you wish providing its folder has a different name to that containing your production version.

You can't run both or all three at the same time, unless you create a "Portable Settings" folder in at least two of the folders containing Audacity.

Gale
________________________________________FOR INSTANT HELP: (Click on Link below)
* * * * * Tips * * * * * Tutorials * * * * * Quick Start Guide * * * * * Audacity Manual
Gale Andrews
Quality Assurance

Operating System: Windows 10

Return to Compiling Audacity