Is anyone building on OSX 10.11.3, Xcode 7.2.1

I’m having a look at the github code, on my machine, and notice that the Architectures and Base SDK sets are quite old. I’m running OSX 10.11.3, and Xcode 7.2.1.
I have the wsWidgets 3.0 installed, but see from comments elsewhere that it may not be the right one…

But anyway, if anyone else is building on the latest, it might be worth following up, I don’t want to be the only kid on the block fiddling with this… :nerd: Otherwise, it will be only when and if I get to it.

My current setup here.
Mac mini 6.2 - 2012, Intel Core i7,2.3 GHz, Memory:16 GB. El-Capitan OSX 10.11.3 2TB Xcode 7.2.1
Drive 0:HGST HTS721010A9E630. Upper bay. Drive 1:ST1000LM024 HN-M101MBB. Lower Bay
Audacity 2.1.2 - Focusrite SOLO Mini Preamp - Shure55SH Series II (Dynamic) - BTSKY™BM-800 (Condenser)

cheers

Just kept fiddling …

zeus:wxWidgets-3.0.2 robert$ sudo /Users/robert/Documents/github/Audacity/mac/build_wxwidgets
You must install the 10.6 SDK at this location:
/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/MacOSX.platform/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.6.sdk/
zeus:wxWidgets-3.0.2 robert$

A look around reveals this.

zeus:Audacity robert$ ls -l /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/MacOSX.platform/Developer/SDKs/
total 0
drwxr-xr-x  5 root  wheel  170  7 Aug  2017 MacOSX10.11.sdk

So I’ve put MacOSX10.11 in place of MacOSX10.6 in the build-wxwidgets file, and it appears to be building ok. So that’s one step along the way maybe.

So that all went reasonably well. A few warnings… but

robert$ wx-config --list

Default config is osx_cocoa-unicode-3.0-release

Default config will be used for output

Alternate matches:
osx_cocoa-unicode-3.0-debug

The warnings mostly look like this

ld: warning: object file (basedll_filename.o) was built for newer OSX version (10.6) than being linked (10.5)

The instructions are at mac/Build.txt. The latest known Xcode that works is 7.1 but the MacOSX10.6.sdk is required as well. We won’t support you if you try to do without the 10.6 SDK but feel free to report your findings.

wxWidgets 3.0.0 is untested but should work. I recommend you make a local install of wxWidgets 3.0.2 if in doubt.

If you want a native build of Mac with only the 10.11 SDK it has been reported to work with the attached project file using Homebrew but we won’t support you with that here.

Also a native 64-bit build of Audacity has been made with MacPorts https://trac.macports.org/ticket/47189 but I do not know about the XCode version or the SDK’s used there. Again we cannot support you with that here.

If there is a problem with XCode 7.2 with the 10.6 SDK built according to mac/Build.txt no doubt we will want to address that.

Gale
project.pbxproj Homebrew with only 10.11 SDK.zip (80.8 KB)

hmmm. Actually requires MacOSX10.6.sdk ? Wonder can I put that into the same folder as the new one?

wxWidgets 3.0.0 is untested but should work. I recommend you make a local install of wxWidgets 3.0.2 if in doubt.

did that. built and installed ok, with some warning as above. Too many to list though. But it works anyway.

If you want a native build of Mac with only the 10.11 SDK it has been reported to work with the attached project file using Homebrew but we won’t support you with that here.

Don’t know that I’m that interested in messing with Homebrew. But thanks. I’ll stick with the github (your) version and see what happens.

Also a native 64-bit build of Audacity has been made with MacPorts > #47189 (submission: audacity) – MacPorts > but I do not know about the XCode version or the SDK’s used there. Again we cannot support you with that here.

see Homebrew reply above …

If there is a problem with XCode 7.2 with the 10.6 SDK built according to mac/Build.txt no doubt we will want to address that.
Gale

Xcode 7.2.1 appears to build the wxWidgets thing ok, with only those warnings about the different build type.

But it’s obviously looking for something because opening Audacity.xcodeproj in Xcode and just doing a straight Build produces errors about missing .h files of various types, and probably other errors…

The Build.txt is clear enough, and the steps work fine. I’ll see if I can locate 10.6 and stuff it into the directory and see what happens… Have to change the build_wxwidgets file again though, where it’s looking for 10.6

ok. Interesting

The instructions in Build.txt are quite explicit. I suggest you follow those.

Gale

Bit difficult really.

On the Apple Developer site, the download of Xcode 4.3.3 contains SDK 10.7, not 10.6, I have to go all the way back to Xcode 4.0 to find the 10.6 SDK

So I’ve extracted the OSX10.6.SDK into the correct place. I had done yesterday, but I didn’t trust the sdk I was using - so I downloaded the real one from the Apple developer site.

So this is what first build reveals. There seems to be a config.h file missing somewhere.

so it’s back to the drawing board it seems.

Building on OSX 10.11.3, Xcode 7.2.1 with 10.6 SDK plugged in.

Using Xcode GUI, it’s a big enough distraction to spend half a day on. However, I doubt that it’s going to build on Xcode any time soon, out of the box as it is. I’ve reduced the errors so far to a couple of files, still with masses of warnings though and some seemingly insurmountable errors.

also,
Building from the command line has it falling over a lot of wx-3.0 stuff also, this is just the end of the last bit of fluff…

/usr/local/include/wx-3.0-release/wx/typeinfo.h:84:47: note: expanded from macro 'wxTypeId'
#define wxTypeId(OBJ) wxTypeIdentifier(typeid(OBJ).name())
                                              ^
10 warnings and 3 errors generated.
make[2]: *** [libFileDialog_la-FileDialog.lo] Error 1
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make: *** [all-recursive] Error 1

so given that - I might leave it. It’s eating into my work time.

To be most useful to us, do:

xcodebuild clean -configuration Release

then

xcodebuild -configuration Release install 2>&1 | tee release.log

then zip up and post release.log somewhere.

And if that does not fail, repeat for Debug configuration.

Gale

When I downloaded “xcode_4.3.3_for_lion.dmg” last year it contained the 10.6 SDK as well as the 10.7 SDK, irrespective Apple’s description only mentions the 10.7 SDK. Please try that download and let us know if it still also contains the 10.6 SDK.

Gale

Now that was fun. Seems to have compiled right through. release.log attached
Can I install/run this without trashing the existing Audacity on this mac?
debug.log.zip (153 KB)
release.log.zip (110 KB)

It doesn’t appear to contain any SDK now. I just downloaded it to look, and yes, it’s empty of any sdk. The whole thing is only 1.2GB. Like I said. xcode_4.0 still has it.

Please see the answer to your other post in which you asked that: Can I install new build alongside existing Audacity? - #2 by Gale_Andrews

So are you saying now that you can build using xcodebuild but not the Xcode IDE?

Gale

I don’t know where you are downloading from, but Xcode 4.3.3 for Lion (1.8 GB) at Sign In - Apple still has the same checksum as the copy I originally downloaded.

As it says in mac/Build.txt:

Navigate down the directories to get to:
Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/MacOSX.platform/Developer/SDKs/

The 10.6 and 10.7 SDK’s are there.

Gale

@Gale
-rw-r–r–@ 1 robert staff 1975427679 10 Dec 2014 xcode_4.3.3_for_lion.dmg

oh yes … Sorry. There it is. And for the record, I pulled it from the Apple Developer download site.

So it appears that no one is interested in Audacity on the latest OSX. The version that did compile relied on what is now a really old version of the SDK.and a now really old version of OSX. I understand that it too now no longer compiles but even if it does, it’s being built for older versions. A bit like insisting on sticking with Windows XP in the face of Windows 10… The macports version builds all of the support binaries, but the actual Audacity binary is simply a precompiled binary that gets installed. So it’s probably a waste of time in that respect.
So it would seem that one of the most popular platforms for musos and artists is rapidly being bypassed. Shame, but there you go. One lives in hope.

Users whose audio devices won’t work on El Capitan are certainly not interested in the latest version of OS X.

As of three hours ago, the Mac build is working again, using 10.6 as base SDK, at least on OS X 10.11.3. I have not personally tested 10.11.4 because I have not updated to that yet.

It is open to you as an individual to build Audacity with any SDK you see fit, or to use 64-bit MacPorts builds of Audacity. As a project, we have no current intention of supporting only the latest OS X and no other version.

For the release after next (2.1.4) I expect we will aim to support Lion and above. If so, whatever minimum SDK supports Lion will be the base SDK. We will decide at the time.

I do hope we will eventually produce 64-bit builds of Audacity for Mac and Windows.

Gale