audacity 2.1.2 fails to compile on open suse 13.2

Building and customizing Audacity from the source code.

If you require help using Audacity, please post on the forum board relevant to your operating system:
Windows
Mac OS X
GNU/Linux and Unix-like

Re: audacity 2.1.2 fails to compile on open suse 13.2

Permanent link to this post Posted by Gale Andrews » Mon Feb 15, 2016 3:24 pm

Thanks for your investigations.

If possible could you provide a unified diff of that setup.h?

Gale
________________________________________FOR INSTANT HELP: (Click on Link below)
* * * * * Tips * * * * * Tutorials * * * * * Quick Start Guide * * * * * Audacity Manual
Gale Andrews
Quality Assurance

Operating System: Windows 10

Permanent link to this post Posted by thomasf » Mon Feb 15, 2016 7:21 pm

I fixed that problem for me on my fork: https://github.com/ThomasFeher/audacity.git on branch fix_build_with_wxWidgets_stl.

This is based of the 2.1.2 release tag.

Building the current master does not succeed for me, due to missing --std=c++11 flags, i guess.

Would be nice to from others if that fixes their build, too.
thomasf

Operating System: GNU/Linux other

Permanent link to this post Posted by thomasf » Mon Feb 15, 2016 7:25 pm

If possible could you provide a unified diff of that setup.h?

Used
Code: Select all
diff -u
now.
Attachments
setup.h.u.diff
(3.13 KiB) Downloaded 54 times
thomasf

Permanent link to this post Posted by thomasf » Mon Feb 15, 2016 9:16 pm

As my fix builds on Travis, too, I made a pull request on Github.
thomasf

Permanent link to this post Posted by Gale Andrews » Tue Feb 16, 2016 2:36 pm

thomasf wrote:As my fix builds on Travis, too, I made a pull request on Github.

Thanks for that, Thomas.

Gale
* * * * * Tips * * * * * Tutorials * * * * * Quick Start Guide * * * * * Audacity Manual
Gale Andrews
Quality Assurance

Permanent link to this post Posted by davepl » Wed Feb 17, 2016 9:16 am

steve wrote:My guess is that you're trying to use an ANSI build of WxWidgets rather than a Unicode build.
Do you really need to build audacity from source? I thought that Open Suse already had a fairly up to date version of Audacity?

The newest audacity available in openSUSE is 2.1.1
I'm an openSUSE multimedia maintainer and I'm trying to update audacity to 2.1.2 specifically to fix an installation bug caused by 2.1.1 using wxWidgets 2.8 and having to overide rpms auto requires. wxWidgets 3 doesn't need this.
I get the same error with openSUSE's wxGTK3-3_0, which defaults to unicode. I've packaged Fedora's wxGTK3 and audacity builds with it. I'm still looking in to the problem but for the reporter audacity-2.1.2 should be available in multimedia:apps soon. An update for openSUSE:Leap:42.1 will also be needed to fix the bug but that's going to take a while because I have to sort out the wxWidgets3 build first.
davepl

2.1.3 continues to fail on OpenSuse (latest)

Permanent link to this post Posted by rickst29 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:17 pm

I'm using the latest rolling "nightly" build, 4.10.3-1-default #1 SMP PREEMPT Wed Mar 15 07:47:00 UTC 2017
Unicode does not solve the problem by itself:

[email protected]:~/Downloads/audacity-minsrc-2.1.3> wx-config --list

Default config is gtk2-unicode-3.0

Default config will be used for output

The errors all seem to occur within DirManager.cpp, and they continue to be of the type:
DirManager.cpp:1539:17: error: cannot convert ‘const wxString’ to ‘const wxChar* {aka const wchar_t*}’ in initialization

These are my amateur opinions (although I have added just a few lines into audacity in the past, I'm not a "Developer"):

(1) Re-compiling wxwidgets is kinda nasty - and probably why OpenSuse hasn't created a new audacity package in a long time.
(2) The programming issue (converted parameter falling out of scope) seems valid, and our coding seems to be erroneous.
(3) I have NO IDEA whether our "bad coding" is required for Windows, or OS-X.
(4) The remaining errors (with just a cursory look...) are all within DirManager, so a new patch would seem to be of "reasonable" size.

I might play with it....
rickst29

Re: 2.1.3 continues to fail on OpenSuse (latest)

Permanent link to this post Posted by Gale Andrews » Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:49 pm

davepl (see above) made a non-STL wxWidgets for openSUSE and the OpenSUSE repository builds of Audacity 2.1.2 and 2.1.3 use this.

The core problem that Audacity does not compile against wxWidgets built with STL remains - see http://bugzilla.audacityteam.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1393.

So if you want to compile Audacity 2.1.3 yourself, I suggest you do so against davepl's non-STL wxWidgets http://packman.links2linux.org/package/wxwidgets-3_0-nostl.

Gale

rickst29 wrote:I'm using the latest rolling "nightly" build, 4.10.3-1-default #1 SMP PREEMPT Wed Mar 15 07:47:00 UTC 2017
Unicode does not solve the problem by itself:

[email protected]:~/Downloads/audacity-minsrc-2.1.3> wx-config --list

Default config is gtk2-unicode-3.0

Default config will be used for output

The errors all seem to occur within DirManager.cpp, and they continue to be of the type:
DirManager.cpp:1539:17: error: cannot convert ‘const wxString’ to ‘const wxChar* {aka const wchar_t*}’ in initialization

These are my amateur opinions (although I have added just a few lines into audacity in the past, I'm not a "Developer"):

(1) Re-compiling wxwidgets is kinda nasty - and probably why OpenSuse hasn't created a new audacity package in a long time.
(2) The programming issue (converted parameter falling out of scope) seems valid, and our coding seems to be erroneous.
(3) I have NO IDEA whether our "bad coding" is required for Windows, or OS-X.
(4) The remaining errors (with just a cursory look...) are all within DirManager, so a new patch would seem to be of "reasonable" size.

I might play with it....
Gale Andrews
Quality Assurance

The advantage of 'Tumbleweed' ....

Permanent link to this post Posted by rickst29 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:38 am

First: When I followed instructions and replaced all my wxWidgets libraries with "no-stl" versions, I compiled "pretty well". The result has just a small conflict regarding ALSA versus PulseAudio....

But Second: I see that 2.1.3 is already packaged for Tumbleweed, by someone smarter than me. Downloading immediately, because it will solve my audio playback problem. And, since OpenSuse has already figured out how to build it for 'Tumbleweed', ''Leap' users can probably look forward to a new OpenSuse package before too long.
rickst29

Previous

Return to Compiling Audacity