Compiling with ASIO

Hi all

I am compiling Audacity with ASIO support. Spent a few days on this right now, and while I get Audacity compiled successfully, it bombs out on launch - no error, no splashscreen, just exits. To be fair, I am not an expert Windows developer, but everything seems to be correct.

Does anyone have any advice, or a link to a compiled version that I can use - this is for a community project and I have no intention of distributing. It’s driving me NUTS! :imp:

We will need a lot more information on your compile process if you want help there. As for a link to a compiled version we may not help you out on that due to copyright-type restrictions. I am almost certain we can get you up and running with your own compiled version.

What OS and compiler are you using? Are you certain that you have compiled the appropriate wxWidgets libraries and that they are in the same folder as your Audacity.exe? How did you obtain your Audacity source code and, if you are getting it via SVN, what revision did you grab?

Thanks for the reply Edgar

I am compiling on Windows 7 64 bit, with MS Visual Studio 2013

I have built WXWidgets 2.8.12, and put the .DLLs in the same directory as Audacity

I used SVN to get Audacity 2.0.6

Just rebuilt everything and it bombs out - I guess I need to do a debug build?

Phil

Make sure that you build wxWidgets with MS VS 2013 - you must build the libraries and the executable with the same compiler. 2.0.6 is revision 13340 - make sure you check out that revision. There should be no advantage in a debug build as there is obviously something wrong in your environment. Make sure you are not trying to use the experimental wxWidgets wx3 configurations for Audacity.

My next suggestion would be to remove ASIO from the equation. If it was me, I would start from scratch: delete your current Audacity folder entirely; delete its configuration folder ( C:Users_YourUserName_AppDataRoamingAudacity - you will need to use your appropriate username); remove the ASIO path environmental variable; reboot Windows; check out revision 13340; compile; copy in appropriate wxWidgets libraries; test to see that Audacity.exe functions as expected.

Persevere - everyone who does eventually gets it working!

Thanks Edgar - I am doing all this now and will report back.

Phil

Hey Edgar - just wanted to confirm that I am building version 2.0.0.6, revision 13340? I assume the ASIO support doesn’t work with anything newer?

Phil

Hi Edgar

Followed everything you said, and the compile fails with MANY errors. The first set are all around allegro - didn’t know I had to install that too. At this point I have no idea what is going on, so I think I am going to give up and find another audio solution. Thanks for all your help.

Is there a reason that you can’t use Audacity without ASIO?

Revision 13340 is the current “stable” release (a new stable release is probably imminent). ASIO support does work in newer revisions but I strongly suggest that you await the next stable release to be on the safe side (the last few months of Development have seen some major changes).

Giving up is your call – I feel certain that we can get you compiling - I would be happy to keep helping.

Hi:
I have read your posting about Compiling with ASIO. I have done it successfully with versions prior to 2.0.6 which gave me a lot of trouble and finally I gave up. Please read the threads below yours. I have communicated with Edgar many times. After I spent a lot of effort to no avail, he finally pointed out there could be problems with the code of 2.0.6 from the SVN. He mentioned a new version would be coming out very soon and should wait to try again. I hope this piece information is useful to you.

this is for a community project and I have no intention of distributing. It’s driving me NUTS! :imp:

Perhaps you should flash your “evil” smiley at Steinberg?

If it’s a community project it sounds like you might end up distributing ASIO-enabled builds of Audacity almost by definition.

Leaving that to one side, why do you need ASIO? Tell us what you’re trying to do with audio then we’ll tell if you if you even need ASIO for it. Often you don’t need ASIO if for example you buy a direct-monitoring USB interface.

Gale