built fails for rev 13400+

(Windows 7 64)
I’ve tried to built the newest version 2.0.7 alpha.
Audacity.sln is no longer a valid VS 2008 solution.
It seems that the developers have decided to migrate to VS 2013.
However, it would have been nice if this were announced e.g. in this forum and when the compile.txt’s would have been adapted accordingly.
From the Audacity.sln file is not readily apparent which VS should be installed–it has as header:

Microsoft Visual Studio Solution File, Format Version 12.00

Visual Studio Express 2012 for Windows Desktop

Thus, I’ve installed MS VSE2012–which does not work because it assumes Version 4.0 of MSBuild.exe.
Although the msbuild.exe 12.0 can be downloaded separately, it still won’t build the solution. Btw, VS2012 is hardly accessible which makes it even worse to detect the problem.

The revision comments suggest (at Rev 13401) that VS 2013 should be used and that an obsolete Audacity solution remains for the time being.
However, former is for Windows 8.1 and latter produces a bunch of errors in VSE 2008.

Will there any proper guide lines be available in the near future how to scope with this migration?

Regards
RJ

I’m sure that it will be, when the migration is complete.
You can follow the changes as they happen on the developer’s mailing list here: http://audacity.238276.n2.nabble.com/audacity-devel-f238278.html
If you wish to participate in the discussions, you can register on that mailing list here: https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/audacity-devel
I’ve not been following the discussion closely as I’m not on Windows, but I get the impression that the migration is going well so far.

Robert, all you should need to do is open audacity-vs2008_OBSOLETE.sln in VS2008. That’s all I’m doing until the migration dust is settled. I don’t think the situation with VS2013 is clear enough yet to document it.

Gale

Yes, I thought so too, however, there are bugs appearing that I’ve never seen before.

For the time being, I reverted to an older revision in order to keep the ASIO integration intacte.

From the discussion, I can see that the migration is not so easy as believed. The best thing is obviously to create another working copy. It needs also some environment variable switching.

However, this won’t solve my accessibility issues with MSVS2012/2013 when the 2008 solution is no longer available.

Microsoft have an article about accessibility of Visual Studio 2013:

Does that help at all?

Thanks Steve, it says:

In addition to accessibility features and utilities in Windows, the following features make Visual Studio 2013 more accessible for people with disabilities:

Toolbar button and text enlargement

Text size options in the editors

Color customization in the editors

Keyboard shortcut customization

Auto-completion for methods and parameters

It’s rather for low vision then for blindness.
However, I have to familiarize myself with all the stuf.
By the way, I can only install VS 2012, VS 2013 doesn’t seem to be intended for my old Windows 7 64-bit (!).

According to this page: Visual Studio Express | Now Visual Studio Community
Visual Studio Express 2013 supports Windows 7 SP1 (x86 and x64).
If you don’t have Service Pack 1 installed you will need to install that first: Install Windows 7 Service Pack 1 (SP1) - Microsoft Support

I have not tried to build with ASIO, but does it help to create a new environment variable for the ASIO SDK, or delete the old one and create a new one? Rebooting may help.

“Microsoft Visual Studio Express 2013 with Update 3 for Windows Desktop” is the one you want, from
Free Developer Software & Services - Visual Studio . Windows 7 x86 or x64 is supported, if it has SP1.

Gale

Thank you both for the research.

I think that I’ve downloaded the right file in the first place. I’m trying now the german version.
The setup is in progress, however, the setup window is quite confusing, it lists all possible installation outcomes at once instead of a single message or a progress bar or something.
I let it run for now (and hhoefully download the 4 GB’s…)

I think the ASIO Sdk with the current environment variable won’t make any difficulties once VSE works again.
The WXWidgets are another matter.
We’ll see how it goes.

You will have to rebuild wxWidgets (2.8.12 is safer) using VS2013. Then make the five necessary Widgets DLL’s from that rebuild available to Audacity.

If you have not noticed yet, you have to comment or remove the following from wxWidgets/src/msw/window.cpp in order to build Widgets:

#if !defined __WXWINCE__ && !defined NEED_PBT_H
#include <pbt.h>
#endif

Leland’s command for building Widgets at an MSVC command prompt worked well for me:

cd C:wxWidgets-2.8.12buildmsw
nmake -f makefile.vc UNICODE=1 SHARED=1 BUILD=release
nmake -f makefile.vc UNICODE=1 SHARED=1 BUILD=debug

Gale

Thank you my mates.

The german VSE2013 runs smoothly now.
The WxWidgets are also built successfully thanks to Gale’s script–took me a while to find the prompt…
ASIO works too.
I’ve only put the setup.h file in the wrong place, so the accessibility features are disabled…

Thanks again. Nice to be up-to-date.