wxWidgets Build on OSX

Hi,

I’m attempting to build Audacity on OSX (10.9.4) using Xcode (5.1.1).

As a start I’ve built wxWidgets (which in itself was not straightforward!). I’m wondering why four different builds of wxWidgets are necessary(see http://wiki.audacityteam.org/wiki/Building_On_Mac#Install_wxWidgets)? If I were to go with just one build, which would be best?

Cheers,

Chris

I assume you realise that you won’t be able to build Audacity unless you also have Xcode 3 and Xcode 4, nor (for that reason) will you likely be able to build Audacity on a machine that started with a Mavericks install.

If you really want to change the Widgets configurations, you can amend the widgets build script available on the above page so that it only builds release (or if you are going to join Audacity as a developer, only builds debug).

Gale

Any idea why Xcode 3 and 4 are required?

Because Audacity still supports PPC. Mac builds made for official releases are universal binaries that run on both Intel and PPC Mac’s.

We may drop PPC support soon.

Gale

If that’s the case then are the earlier Xcode versions only required because of their associated platform SDKs (giving the ability to target older versions of OSX) or is there actual code that requires the earlier versions? That is, is it possible to build an OSX 10.9-only version of Audacity?

No. The steps at Missing features - Audacity Support actually produce a universal binary. The Xcode 3.x SDK is currently required, even if you make a native Intel build.

Gale

Any idea what the older SDKs are being used for?

As I stated before, to provide PPC support.

Are you trying to do anything specific, apart from build Audacity?

Gale

No, I’m just trying to get a build working on OSX but I don’t want to revert to older OSs to do this. I’m also not interested in PPC. I was hoping that this might be possible but it’s not clear how difficult this would be to actually do.

Try to build Audacity having built Widgets, and tell us where it fails (I’m very confident it will). Then I’ll raise a bug report.

Gale

Ok, I’ll give it a go and see what happens.

I’m going to have a look at this too https://developer.apple.com/library/mac/documentation/DeveloperTools/Conceptual/cross_development/Introduction/Introduction.html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/10000163-BCICHGIE.