Looking for Step-By-Step Newbie Guide to Compiling

Hello Everyone,

I wanted to try and compile Audacity source on Windows 8 but I cannot seem to get it working. I’ve been trying to follow the guide located at http://wiki.audacityteam.org/wiki/Developing_On_Windows step by step but I still can’t compile.

Specifically, during the “build wxWidgets” phase. I’m following the supplied compile.txt guide which is telling me to, "Build wxWidgets for all configurations of Audacity that you want… Build “DLL Unicode Debug” to use in a version of Audacity.

I have VC++2008 running but when I try to build it, it comes up with a window stating “Please specify the name of the executable file to be used for the debug session.” with the file regsvr32 in the list. So I selected that file but it says debugging information cannot be found in that file and I’m pretty sure it has nothing to do with building a DLL Unicode Debug.

I’ve also tried grabbing the source files and trying to build it regardless but it says the file wxbase28ud_net_vc_custom.dll is missing from my computer. This file of course requires the step I skipped up above.

I am at a loss with what my next step should be and if anyone can help me out i would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you.

Just try opening “C:wxWidgets-2.8.12buildmswwx_dll.dsw”, convert the file, then Build > Batch Build and select only five projects, namely

• adv
  • base
  • core
  • html
  • net

for “DLL Unicode Debug”.

Gale

Hello Gale,

Thank you for the quick reply. With your help I am finally able to compile Audacity.

Unfortunately after trying to run it, I get a “wxWidgets Debug Alert” popup saying:
‘…srccommonwincmn.cpp(811): assert “wxAssertFailure” failed in wxWindowBase::DoSetWindowVariant(): unexpected window variant’
followed by a huge call stack.
The window then asks if I want to stop the program or choose cancel to suppress further warnings.

Choosing to continue will come up with another window which says:
“Unhandled exception at 0x038df022 (wxmsw28ud_core_vc_custom.dll) in Audacity.exe: 0xC0000005: Access violation reading location 0x3ff00000”
with the option to break or continue.

I could press continue for ages or simply break which ends up with a stalled program where my only option is to stop debugging in VC++.

So I’m sorry to trouble you again but it seems I’ve hit another barrier. I had hoped simply removing the wxmsw28ud_core_vc_custom.dll file would get it to run but Audacity needs the file so I’m left scratching my head again.

Hello everyone,

After trying a whole bunch of other methods, I abandoned Debug and instead went with Release. Release does seem to work after I copied the wxWidgets, eg. wxbase28u_vc_custom.dll and four others, over to the Release folder. It seems counter-intuitive to be fiddling around with the Release instead of the Debug but at least I have it running and can start to tinker with it.

So does that happen as soon as you press the Play button in MSVC to launch Audacity? If it happens after launch, what do you do to trigger the problem?

I’m guessing that somehow you did not build the debug build correctly.

Gale