Solved - audacity fails to configure due to libmad

I do not wish to disable libmad support. Here is a cut and paste from the ./configure output and my checks for libmad

checking for mad_decoder_init in -lmad… no
configure: error: *** libmad not found. Run configure --without-libmad to disable it.
[root@localhost audacity-src-1.2.6]# find / -name libmad* -print
/usr/local/lib/libmad.la
/usr/local/lib/libmad.so.0
/usr/local/lib/libmad.a
/usr/local/lib/libmad.so
/usr/local/lib/libmad.so.0.2.1

[root@localhost audacity-src-1.2.6]# echo $LD_LIBRARY_PATH
/usr/local/Trolltech/Qt-4.5.3/lib:/usr/local/lib:/root/wxGTK/wxGTK-2.8.10/buildgtk:/root/wxWidgets/wxX11-2.8.10:/opt/wx/2.8/lib

This is a redhat enterprise linux 5 operating system

Install both libmad and the development library for libmad (libmad-dev) - most distros include them in their repository.

The find command in my text shows that the library libmad is already installed. I am not sure if libmad-dev is installed as I do not know it’s full filename. Please reply with that filename for libmad-dev and I’ll check for it also.
The problerm appears to me that the configure script is not coded properly to find the libmad.a file that is clearly present on my server.
Thank you, Jim

I’m on Ubuntu and the package names on Ubuntu are: “libmad0” and “libmad0-dev”
On Ubuntu the -dev file is required when compiling applications that use it.
As it says in the Audacity wiki:

Note that some Linux distributions make a practice of splitting each library they package into two parts, those required for running programs using the library, and all the other files only needed when compiling applications using the library. The latter are often found in a package with a -dev suffix to the name. For the purposes of these instructions, whenever a library is listed as being needed, it means that both parts are needed in order to compile Audacity.

I don’t know if that applies to Redhat (I’ve never used it), but a quick look on Google seems to suggest that the development library package may be called “libmad-devel”

[root@localhost libmad]# yum install libmad-devel-0.15.1b-4.el5.rf.i386.rpm
Loaded plugins: rhnplugin, security
Setting up Install Process
Examining libmad-devel-0.15.1b-4.el5.rf.i386.rpm: libmad-devel-0.15.1b-4.el5.rf.i386
Marking libmad-devel-0.15.1b-4.el5.rf.i386.rpm to be installed
Resolving Dependencies
→ Running transaction check
—> Package libmad-devel.i386 0:0.15.1b-4.el5.rf set to be updated
→ Processing Dependency: libmad = 0.15.1b for package: libmad-devel
→ Processing Dependency: libmad.so.0 for package: libmad-devel
→ Finished Dependency Resolution
libmad-devel-0.15.1b-4.el5.rf.i386 from /libmad-devel-0.15.1b-4.el5.rf.i386 has depsolving problems
→ Missing Dependency: libmad.so.0 is needed by package libmad-devel-0.15.1b-4.el5.rf.i386 (/libmad-devel-0.15.1b-4.el5.rf.i386)
libmad-devel-0.15.1b-4.el5.rf.i386 from /libmad-devel-0.15.1b-4.el5.rf.i386 has depsolving problems
→ Missing Dependency: libmad = 0.15.1b is needed by package libmad-devel-0.15.1b-4.el5.rf.i386 (/libmad-devel-0.15.1b-4.el5.rf.i386)
Error: Missing Dependency: libmad.so.0 is needed by package libmad-devel-0.15.1b-4.el5.rf.i386 (/libmad-devel-0.15.1b-4.el5.rf.i386)
Error: Missing Dependency: libmad = 0.15.1b is needed by package libmad-devel-0.15.1b-4.el5.rf.i386 (/libmad-devel-0.15.1b-4.el5.rf.i386)
You could try using --skip-broken to work around the problem
You could try running: package-cleanup --problems
package-cleanup --dupes
rpm -Va --nofiles --nodigest
[root@localhost libmad]# yum install libmad-0.15.1b-4.el5.rf.i386.rpm
Loaded plugins: rhnplugin, security
Setting up Install Process
Examining libmad-0.15.1b-4.el5.rf.i386.rpm: libmad-0.15.1b-4.el5.rf.i386
Marking libmad-0.15.1b-4.el5.rf.i386.rpm to be installed
Resolving Dependencies
→ Running transaction check
—> Package libmad.i386 0:0.15.1b-4.el5.rf set to be updated
→ Finished Dependency Resolution

Dependencies Resolved

=============================================================================================================================
Package Arch Version Repository Size

Installing:
libmad i386 0.15.1b-4.el5.rf /libmad-0.15.1b-4.el5.rf.i386 138 k

Transaction Summary

Install 1 Package(s)
Update 0 Package(s)
Remove 0 Package(s)

Total size: 138 k
Is this ok [y/N]: y
Downloading Packages:
warning: rpmts_HdrFromFdno: Header V3 DSA signature: NOKEY, key ID 6b8d79e6

Public key for libmad-0.15.1b-4.el5.rf.i386.rpm is not installed
[root@localhost libmad]#

I found a way around this issue and have been able to finish compiling audacity. In the end I had to separately download and compile SoundTouch version 1.4 (one version back) and re-configure audacity with (–with-soundtouch=system).
Thanks for your help and replies. Jim - I will close this topic as soon as I figure out how.

Glad you’ve fixed it :wink:
No need to “close” the topic, though you can add “Closed” or “Solved” to the Subject line if you wish.