Can't make 1.3.11 under Ubuntu 9.10

Hi!

I’m trying to compile 1.3.11-beta on my Ubuntu 9.10 machine. ./configure runs fine and exits normally, but the make aborts after a while. From what I can see from the errors it is complaining about automake not being installed. I took a look and I have automake 1.11. I’m stumped.

Here’s the error output…

WARNING: automake-1.10' is missing on your system. You should only need it if you modified Makefile.am’, acinclude.m4' or configure.in’.
You might want to install the Automake' and Perl’ packages.
Grab them from any GNU archive site.
cd . && perl admin/am_edit
cd . && perl admin/am_edit Makefile.in
cd . && rm -f configure
cd . && make -f admin/Makefile.common configure
make[3]: Entering directory /home/ka1ssr/audacity-src-1.3.11-beta/lib-src/taglib' configure.in:45: error: possibly undefined macro: AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE If this token and others are legitimate, please use m4_pattern_allow. See the Autoconf documentation. configure.in:62: error: possibly undefined macro: AM_CONFIG_HEADER configure.in:66: error: possibly undefined macro: AC_CHECK_COMPILERS configure.in:73: error: possibly undefined macro: AC_ENABLE_SHARED configure.in:77: error: possibly undefined macro: AC_ENABLE_STATIC configure.in:119: error: possibly undefined macro: AM_CONDITIONAL make[3]: *** [configure] Error 1 make[3]: Leaving directory /home/ka1ssr/audacity-src-1.3.11-beta/lib-src/taglib’
make[2]: *** [configure] Error 2
make[2]: Leaving directory /home/ka1ssr/audacity-src-1.3.11-beta/lib-src/taglib' make[1]: *** [taglib-recursive] Error 2 make[1]: Leaving directory /home/ka1ssr/audacity-src-1.3.11-beta/lib-src’
make: *** [audacity] Error 2

My apologies if this is something extremely obvious and covered elsewhere.

Thanks for your help!

Bill

It might require exactly version 1.10 of automake. Ubuntu usually provides earlier versions of automake because this is such a common problem (incompatibilities between different versions of automake). (I’m still on Ubuntu 9.04 and that has automake 1.10)

I notice that “taglib” gets a few mentions there, and I’ve heard of problems with that - do you have taglib installed on your system? I’ve got version 1.5.3 of the following:
libtag1c2a
libtagc0
libtag1-dev
libtagc0-dev

Arrgh! Bit on the bum by the missing libraries thing again! I didn’t have libtagc0 and libtagc0-dev installed. I did an apt-get build-dep audacity a while ago but I guess it didn’t install all the libraries needed. 1.3.11 builds nicely now (except for all those rude warnings about prototypes and unused variables) and the finished product seems to run without crashing. I’ll do some serious editing later on this evening to see how things work out.

Thanks a lot for your help! I should have caught that one.

Bill