problems installing audacity 1.3.3

hello
i just tried to install audacity 1.3.3 beta and got the following error messages during compile:

cc1plus: error: unrecognized command line option “-msse”
make[4]: *** [AAFilter.lo] Error 1
make[4]: Leaving directory /home/jason/Desktop/audacity-src-1.3.3-beta/lib-src/soundtouch/source/SoundTouch' make[3]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1 make[3]: Leaving directory /home/jason/Desktop/audacity-src-1.3.3-beta/lib-src/soundtouch/source’
make[2]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory /home/jason/Desktop/audacity-src-1.3.3-beta/lib-src/soundtouch' make[1]: *** [soundtouch-recursive] Error 2 make[1]: Leaving directory /home/jason/Desktop/audacity-src-1.3.3-beta/lib-src’
make: *** [audacity] Error 2

does anyone know what could be wrong here?

i´ve already installed the following libraries:

sudo apt-get install build-essential libwxgtk2.8-0 libwxgtk2.8-dev libmad0 libmad0-dev libsndfile1 libsndfile1-dev gettext libwxbase2.6-dev libwxgtk2.6-dev wx2.6-headers libmad0-dev libvorbis-dev libogg-dev libflac-dev libflac+±dev libid3tag0-dev zlib1g-dev libtwolame0 libtwolame-dev libgtk-dev libwxgtk-dev twolame libasound2-dev libjack0.100.0-dev portaudio19-dev libgtk2.0-dev

and i was trying to install like this:

./configure –program-suffix=beta && make
sudo make install

thanks in advance for any help!

You don’t say what CPU your system has, but I’m guessing it isn’t x86, and so you are discovering that soundtouch isn’t set up to build on non-x86 hardware. The best solution is to install soundtouch from your distribution (letting them worry about patches to make it compile) and then ./configure --with-soundtouch=system to build audacity without having to compile soundtouch.

hi
thanks for your reply.
you are right, i neglected to mention what cpu i am running. i am using a mac g4 powerbook ¨titanium¨ (ppc processor).
i am on xubuntu, kernel 2.6.17-12-powerpc.
i installed the following libraries:
libsoundtouch1c2 version 1.3.0-2.1
libsoundtouch1-dev 1.3.0-2.1

but i still get the following errors:

make[4]: Leaving directory /home/jason/Desktop/audacity-src-1.3.3-beta/lib-src/soundtouch/source/SoundTouch' make[3]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1 make[3]: Leaving directory /home/jason/Desktop/audacity-src-1.3.3-beta/lib-src/soundtouch/source’
make[2]: Leaving directory /home/jason/Desktop/audacity-src-1.3.3-beta/lib-src/soundtouch' make[1]: *** [soundtouch-recursive] Error 2 make[1]: Leaving directory /home/jason/Desktop/audacity-src-1.3.3-beta/lib-src’

these were the other libraries i already installed:

sudo apt-get install build-essential libwxgtk2.8-0 libwxgtk2.8-dev libmad0 libmad0-dev libsndfile1 libsndfile1-dev gettext libwxbase2.6-dev libwxgtk2.6-dev wx2.6-headers libmad0-dev libvorbis-dev libogg-dev libflac-dev libflac+±dev libid3tag0-dev zlib1g-dev libtwolame0 libtwolame-dev libgtk-dev libwxgtk-dev twolame libasound2-dev libjack0.100.0-dev portaudio19-dev libgtk2.0-dev

is there something else i am missing for the ppc platform?
thanks again.

You are still compiling using the copy of soundtouch in the audacity tree, not the system one. Did you use the configure option I described? What does the library listing at the end of the configure script say about Soundtouch?

i´m relatively new to linux and not sure exactly what you mean here. i installed the soundtouch libraries using the synaptic package

Did you use the configure option I described?

i compiled as following:
./configure --program-suffix=beta && make --with-soundtouch=system
i was following this thread to install audacity
http://www.ubustu.com/globe/2007/04/21/compile-audacity-132-beta-with-feisty/#more-37

What does the library listing at the end of the configure script say about Soundtouch?

ln -sf libresample/libresample.a libresample.a
make -C soundtouch
make[2]: Entering directory /home/jason/Desktop/audacity-src-1.3.3-beta/lib-src/soundtouch' Making all in include make[3]: Entering directory /home/jason/Desktop/audacity-src-1.3.3-beta/lib-src/soundtouch/include’
make all-am
make[4]: Entering directory /home/jason/Desktop/audacity-src-1.3.3-beta/lib-src/soundtouch/include' make[4]: Nothing to be done for all-am’.
make[4]: Leaving directory /home/jason/Desktop/audacity-src-1.3.3-beta/lib-src/soundtouch/include' make[3]: Leaving directory /home/jason/Desktop/audacity-src-1.3.3-beta/lib-src/soundtouch/include’
Making all in source
make[3]: Entering directory /home/jason/Desktop/audacity-src-1.3.3-beta/lib-src/soundtouch/source' Making all in SoundTouch make[4]: Entering directory /home/jason/Desktop/audacity-src-1.3.3-beta/lib-src/soundtouch/source/SoundTouch’
if /bin/bash …/…/libtool --tag=CXX --mode=compile g++ -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I…/…/include -I…/…/include -O3 -msse -fcheck-new -I…/…/include -MT AAFilter.lo -MD -MP -MF “.deps/AAFilter.Tpo” -c -o AAFilter.lo AAFilter.cpp;
then mv -f “.deps/AAFilter.Tpo” “.deps/AAFilter.Plo”; else rm -f “.deps/AAFilter.Tpo”; exit 1; fi
g++ -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I…/…/include -I…/…/include -O3 -msse -fcheck-new -I…/…/include -MT AAFilter.lo -MD -MP -MF .deps/AAFilter.Tpo -c AAFilter.cpp -o AAFilter.o
root@dhcppc0:~/Desktop/audacity-src-1.3.3-beta#

thanks again!

i compiled as following:
./configure --program-suffix=beta && make --with-soundtouch=system

No - a confusing guide, that doesn’t do what you want at all. You’ve got two separate stages to compiling almost any program. The first is to run the configure script to figure out how to build it, and the second (longer) is to run make to actually do the work. The && in the middle just joins the two commands together so they run one after the other, only continuing if the first one worked OK.

So we can break the process into two stages. First, run
./configure --program-suffix=beta --with-soundtouch=system
to do the configuration. This will run through quite quickly, and end up with a summary of what options have been selected and so on, which is what I’m interested in. It should contain a line like
LIBSOUNDTOUCH: using SYSTEM libraries
If it doesn’ t, and has LIBSOUNDTOUCH: using LOCAL libraries, then we still have a problem. Make sure you have the 1.3.3 tarball not the old 1.3.2 one linked from the article, because that won’t work.

After that you can just run
make
to compile the program. This way if you don’t like the options you get when you run configure, you can change them and re-run configure without waiting for the make to run (which is much the slower bit).

hello again

i got the following when compiling as you suggested:

checking for soundtouch-1.0 >= 1.3.1… configure: Libsoundtouch libraries are NOT available as system libraries
checking for ./lib-src/soundtouch/include/SoundTouch.h… yes
configure: libsoundtouch libraries are available in the local tree
checking for ./lib-src/libnyquist/nyx/nyx.h… yes
configure: nyquist libraries are available in the local tree
checking for XML_ParserCreate in -lexpat… yes
checking expat.h usability… yes
checking expat.h presence… yes
checking for expat.h… yes
configure: Expat libraries are available as system libraries
checking for ./lib-src/expat/xmlparse/xmlparse.h… yes
configure: Expat libraries are available in the local tree
checking for ./lib-src/twolame/libtwolame/twolame.h… no
configure: libtwolame library is NOT available in the local tree
configure: Figuring out what libraries to enable
configure: Using SYSTEM libraries for LIBVORBIS
configure: Using SYSTEM libraries for LIBMAD
configure: Using SYSTEM libraries for LIBSNDFILE
configure: Using SYSTEM libraries for LIBFLAC
configure: Using SYSTEM libraries for LIBID3TAG
configure: disabling LIBSAMPLERATE
configure: Using LOCAL libraries for LIBRESAMPLE
configure: error: You requested using the system libraries for LIBSOUNDTOUCH but they are not available

so, there seems to be a problem using the system libraries. how can i correct this?

thanks again for your help!

What version of soundtouch have you installed using apt-get? It may be that the system copy of soundtouch is too old. You should have a /usr/lib/pkgconfig/soundtouch-1.0.pc or so file which the audacity configure script checks for.

hi again

libsoundtouch1c2 version 1.3.0-2.1
libsoundtouch1-dev 1.3.0-2.1

thanks again!

Hmm, that should work, but I think the test for external soundtouch only finds version 1.3.1 onwards, because that was easier and I was lazy writing the test, and already had 1.3.1 installed.

Assuming that the package is built normally (to install into /usr/lib/ and so on) you should be able to use the attached file to get audacity to configure. Put it into /usr/lib/pkgconfig/, and then change the version number in the file to match your package version. I couldn’t attach it unless I zipped it, so you will have to unpack the zip file.

The audacity configure should then find your system copy of soundtouch and get you going.
pkgconfig.zip (383 Bytes)

ok, now when i compile i get the following:

checking for soundtouch-1.0 >= 1.3.1… configure: Libsoundtouch libraries are NOT available as system libraries
configure: error: You requested using the system libraries for LIBSOUNDTOUCH but they are not available
root@dhcppc0:~/Desktop/audacity-src-1.3.3-beta#

i put the soundtouch-1.0.pc file you sent me in /usr/lib/pkgconfig/

the file now reads:

prefix=/usr
exec_prefix=${prefix}
libdir=${exec_prefix}/lib
includedir=${prefix}/include

Name: SoundTouch
Description: SoundTouch is an open-source audio processing library for changing the Tempo, Pitch and Playback Rates of audio streams or files
Version: 1.3.0-2.1
Libs: -L${libdir} -lSoundTouch
Cflags: -I${includedir}/soundtouch

(i changed the version of soundtouch to my current version).

hmmm. not sure what i am doing wrong here.

thanks again for taking the time to help me out on this…i think there must be a way to get audacity 1.3.3 running on ppc!

Audacity does work on PPC, this is really a problem with not having new enough dependencies in your distribution, and so showing up build system problems.
First off, a quick check to see if pkgconfig is actually working. Run
pkg-config soundtouch-1.0 --modversion
in a terminal. It should give “1.3.0-2.1” as the output, thus meaning pkg-config is working and can find soundtouch. Assuming that’s the case, then the problem is with the configure script shipped with the 1.3.3 release tarball, which has subsequently been fixed (it works for me here). I’ve attached a zip file of the current configure script from CVS which should solve the problem. Simply replace the configure script in the tarball with the one in the zip file, and it should work. I thought the fix was in 1.3.3, but I must have been wrong.
configure.zip (46.6 KB)

yes, this worked. it gave the output “1.3.0-2.1”

Assuming that’s the case, then the problem is with the configure script shipped with the 1.3.3 release tarball, which has subsequently been fixed (it works for me here). I’ve attached a zip file of the current configure script from CVS which should solve the problem. Simply replace the configure script in the tarball with the one in the zip file, and it should work. I thought the fix was in 1.3.3, but I must have been wrong.

i switched the conigure script like you said and ran:
./configure --program-suffix=beta

this configured without any error messages. but when i ran
make
i got the following error messages at the end of the script

make[4]: Leaving directory /home/jason/Desktop/audio installs misc/audacity-src-1.3.3-beta/lib-src/soundtouch/source/SoundTouch' make[3]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1 make[3]: Leaving directory /home/jason/Desktop/audio installs misc/audacity-src-1.3.3-beta/lib-src/soundtouch/source’
make[2]: Leaving directory /home/jason/Desktop/audio installs misc/audacity-src-1.3.3-beta/lib-src/soundtouch' make[1]: *** [soundtouch-recursive] Error 2 make[1]: Leaving directory /home/jason/Desktop/audio installs misc/audacity-src-1.3.3-beta/lib-src’

so, i´m not sure if i am still missing something, or if i should ignore these error messages.
i have audacity 1.2.6 running on my system–it´s great but i wanted to use some of the new features (which i know from using audacity on os x).
thanks again for all your help…i´m sure we can get it working!

Should have been ./configure --program-suffix=beta --with-soundtouch=system I think, and then check the last 20 lines of configure output as before - it should say what soundtouch has been selected.

hi again
ok, i compiled as you suggested:
./configure --program-suffix=beta --with-soundtouch=system

and i got the following at the end of the configure script

checking for pkg-config… /usr/bin/pkg-config
checking pkg-config is at least version 0.9.0… yes
checking for SNDFILE… yes
configure: Libsndfile libraries are available as system libraries
checking for ./lib-src/libsndfile/src/sndfile.h.in… yes
configure: libsndfile libraries are available in this source tree
checking for ANSI C header files… yes
checking for sys/types.h… yes
checking for sys/stat.h… yes
checking for stdlib.h… yes
checking for string.h… yes
checking for memory.h… yes
checking for strings.h… yes
checking for inttypes.h… yes
checking for stdint.h… yes
checking for unistd.h… yes
checking for SAMPLERATE… no
configure: Libsamplerate libraries are NOT available as system libraries
checking for ./lib-src/libsamplerate/src/samplerate.h… no
configure: libsamplerate libraries are NOT available in the local tree
checking for ./lib-src/libresample/include/libresample.h… yes
configure: libresample libraries are available in the local tree
checking for vorbis_bitrate_addblock in -lvorbisfile… yes
checking vorbis/vorbisfile.h usability… yes
checking vorbis/vorbisfile.h presence… yes
checking for vorbis/vorbisfile.h… yes
configure: Vorbis libraries are available as system libraries
checking for ./lib-src/libvorbis/include/vorbis/vorbisenc.h… no
checking for ./lib-src/libogg/include/ogg/ogg.h… no
configure: Vorbis libraries are NOT available in this source tree
checking for LIBMAD… yes
checking for mad_decoder_init in -lmad… yes
configure: libmad libraries are available as system libraries
checking for ./lib-src/libmad/frame.h… no
configure: libmad libraries are NOT available in the local tree
checking for FLAC__file_decoder_new in -lFLAC… yes
checking FLAC/format.h usability… yes
checking FLAC/format.h presence… yes
checking for FLAC/format.h… yes
configure: FLAC libraries are available as system libraries
checking for ./lib-src/libflac/include/FLAC/format.h… no
checking for ./lib-src/libflac/include/FLAC++/decoder.h… no
configure: FLAC libraries are NOT available in this source tree
checking for id3_file_open in -lid3tag… yes
checking id3tag.h usability… yes
checking id3tag.h presence… yes
checking for id3tag.h… yes
configure: Libid3tag libraries are available as system libraries
checking for ./lib-src/libid3tag/frame.h… no
configure: libid3tag libraries are NOT available in the local tree
checking for SOUNDTOUCH… no
configure: Libsoundtouch libraries are NOT available as system libraries

did i miss something?
thanks again!

hello
can anyone else help me out on this: trying to install audacity 1.3.3 on a mac g4 powerbook?
thanks for any help!