Assembling .au files

I recorded approx. 90 minutes of audio from speech, when I saved, the PC (WXP) crashed. I have a directory structure with a set of directories with .au files, but no project file to assemble them. Is there some tool/some way of assembling the 752 files of 1.037kb back into an audio stream?
Roberto

I found something on the wiki that might be helpful, look specifically at the LAST THREE ENTRIES, about using WinAmp, for the “easiest” suggestion.

url:
http://audacityteam.org/wiki/index.php?title=CrashRecovery

text of last three entries, in case they’re gone or changed:

I recently have to kill audacity and as a result I lost the aup project file for my recording of 3000+ au files. What exactly should I do to restore the aup project file from the thousands au files?

\

i tried to add the .au files to a winamp playlist ordered by date (ascending) then save the output as a wav file this solved my problem. i hope it will help yours. (My project was a recording project so the order of files were easily understood)

\

I also had success with the winamp method using the write to disk output utility. Didn’t work for me until I first converted each individual .au into .wav files then converted all the .wav files into a single .wav file.

I don’t know HOW the above writer “converted each individual .au into .wav files”, unless maybe WinAmp can do that, and I do know that Windows Media Player doesn’t seem to work for this process.

TSC

Transcriber,
thank you for your help and advice. Unfortunately, I still am unable to resolve my problem. Even though winamp recognizes the aup files it will not allow me to select more than one at a time. From what I understand from reading the info you gave me, all I should have to do is import the aup files and winamp will do the rest. Maybe I didn’t understand properly….

I’ve never used winamp, but I notice that the last replier in the wiki said:

I also had success with the winamp method using the write to disk output utility. Didn’t work for me until I first converted each individual .au into .wav files then converted all the .wav files into a single .wav file.

Now I don’t know how exactly how he did those conversions, but if you could figure out how to do them, then maybe you could use that resulting single file in winamp?

You might also try putting your question at the end of that wiki entry, maybe the people who wrote those comments will be able to tell you more?

TSC

And I found this too, if it works, it’d be way easier!

Re: can I REassemble an aup file from filenames only?
by stevethefiddle on Wed Dec 05, 2007 9:12 pm

If it’s just “data-recovery” that your after (getting your recorded audio back) -

Depending on how much editing you did, there may be a lot of duplicate files.
However, .au files can be opened in Audacity -
Start a new project, then
File → Import → Audio
Select the old project folder and navigate down to the .au files
Left click on the first file, then press the shift key and select the last file (that should select all the files) and click on “Open”.
All your recordings should now be recovered, with each au file in its own track, (although you won’t have any of the time positions and there may be duplicate files).

TSC