Compiling Audacity with Asio

Building and customizing Audacity from the source code.

If you require help using Audacity, please post on the forum board relevant to your operating system:
Windows
Mac OS X
GNU/Linux and Unix-like

Re: Compiling Audacity with Asio

Permanent link to this post Posted by Edwood » Sun Oct 17, 2010 3:43 am

I might have a success here?!

I just copied it to my DAW which has my RME HDSP 9632 in it. And ASIO shows up!

I guess the laptop I'm using with the clean Win7 install to compile Audacity doesn't have ASIO drivers for the sound devices, so it doesn't show up?

Can you guys take a look at my Build Log and see if there are any problems I might have overlooked?

-Ed
Edwood

Operating System: Please select

Permanent link to this post Posted by Edgar » Sun Oct 17, 2010 4:00 am

The 2 errors you got may be ignored for now, they are for the local version of the manual and help. Don't really know why you have that problem but if/when you want to look into it we can dig in to the details.

As for Asio, I had a similar problem/experience and have asked for more help from one of the Development team members but I really do not know what is going on.
Edgar
Forum Crew

Operating System: Windows 7

Permanent link to this post Posted by Edgar » Sun Oct 17, 2010 4:03 am

Edwood wrote:What about the ASIO SDK? Where do I put the parts I need for those?

My question as well! My build seemed to want a DLL but I have no way to tell which one (one thing, the Asio build in NOT Unicode and I build Audacity in Unicode normally).
Edgar
Forum Crew

Permanent link to this post Posted by Edwood » Sun Oct 17, 2010 4:26 am

I'm using an RME 9632 with a Win7 Ultimate x64 workstation.

While it detects "ASIO Hammerfall DSP" it does not give me any other options like MME does, so I have no way of selecting ADAT or SPDIF input/outputs. So basically I can't record or playback anything since it's not actually selecting anything. Argh!

Trying to see if there's something wrong with my RME driver set up, which is pretty simple, so I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.
Edwood

Permanent link to this post Posted by Edwood » Mon Oct 18, 2010 4:02 pm

I think I've figured out why there is no sound.

Looks like with ASIO, Audacity only looks for the first two channels? Don't know why that is. All the inputs and outputs show up in MME, but not ASIO? Seems like a big step backwards.

Fortunately the RME HDSP 9632 can reroute channels, which I found out here:
http://www.rme-audio.de/forum/viewtopic.php?id=5414

-Ed
Edwood

Permanent link to this post Posted by Gale Andrews » Tue Oct 19, 2010 5:54 am

Hi Edwood,

You did well to build Audacity with ASIO - Edgar and I are stumbling on errors finding ASIO header files in PortAudio v19 and then if those errors are fixed manually a linker error after compiling appears:
portaudio-v19.lib(pa_win_hostapis.obj) : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol _PaAsio_Initialize
C:AudacitySVN_Unicode workingwinUnicode ReleaseAudacity.exe : fatal error LNK1120: 1 unresolved externals

Nothing I've tried so far has helped (I'm on Win 7 x64 like Edgar) but I don't have SP1 for "Windows SDK for Windows 7 and .NET Framework 3.5" as you do so I am installing the later "Microsoft Windows SDK for Windows 7 and .NET Framework 4" and will try with that.

I don't really understand your taglib error at the moment (it means you won't be able to read ID3 tags in Audacity). The error with the "help" project is I think just that you don't have Python installed (http://www.python.org/download/). After installing it, add the location of the top-level directory where you installed Python to your Path environment variable and reboot the computer before building Audacity.

To answer your other queries:

* DirectSound is not built in to Audacity. Install the DirectX SDK from Microsoft (http://msdn.microsoft.com/directx) then that installation will automatically define the DXSDK_DIR environment variable and build DirectSound support into Audacity.

* ASIO does not show up as a host in Audacity Preferences until you connect an ASIO device then restart Audacity

* You don't need to put any parts of the ASIO SDK with Audacity beyond defining the ASIOSDK_DIR environment variable

Edwood wrote:I think I've figured out why there is no sound.
Looks like with ASIO, Audacity only looks for the first two channels? Don't know why that is. All the inputs and outputs show up in MME, but not ASIO? Seems like a big step backwards.
Fortunately the RME HDSP 9632 can reroute channels, which I found out here:
http://www.rme-audio.de/forum/viewtopic.php?id=5414

One of the main benefits of ASIO is that it should make it easier for Audacity to see multiple separate channels, but it depends on the ASIO drivers that come with the 9632. MME often doesn't show individual channels but groups pairs of channels together as separate devices. How many recording channels are offered in Audacity Preferences under ASIO? Do any other recording apps see multiple channels under ASIO?

Also you could try installing an ASIO driver for WDM like ASIO4ALL and see if your sound card and Audacity can work with it.

Gale
________________________________________FOR INSTANT HELP: (Click on Link below)
* * * * * Tips * * * * * Tutorials * * * * * Quick Start Guide * * * * * Audacity Manual
Gale Andrews
Quality Assurance

Operating System: Windows 10

Permanent link to this post Posted by Edgar » Tue Oct 19, 2010 4:25 pm

Edwood wrote:============ Rebuild All: 26 succeeded, 2 failed, 3 skipped ===============

I've attached a txt file of the Build log.

The build log has too much info to comb through. Compile again and look for the window "Error List"; click on one of the errors and then press ctrl+a (i.e select all) and then press ctrl+c (i.e copy to clipboard) then paste (ctrl+v) the result into a reply here. There is a problem somewhere which is causing the tag error which we should pin down--I do not see it here and am wondering if you got a "transitional" download somehow (got some of the files at the same time the files were being updated--should not happen, but...).

I am also guessing that you do not really have Asio completely installed but troubleshooting that is for another post!
Edgar
Forum Crew

Permanent link to this post Posted by indybeast » Tue Dec 21, 2010 6:11 am

I want to thank you guys for laying this out step by step. I was able to follow your directions and create an ASIO capable Audacity build today. I was pretty intimidated by the directions on the WIKI. But when I found this thread I gave it a try and it worked beautifully. Thanks again,

Terry
indybeast

Permanent link to this post Posted by Edgar » Tue Dec 21, 2010 7:23 am

indybeast wrote:I want to thank you guys for laying this out step by step. I was able to follow your directions and create an ASIO capable Audacity build today. I was pretty intimidated by the directions on the WIKI. But when I found this thread I gave it a try and it worked beautifully. Thanks again,

Terry

Well done, congrats! Some of us on Win7 still have trouble. What OS are you on? Which version of Audacity are you building?
Edgar
Forum Crew

Permanent link to this post Posted by indybeast » Wed Dec 22, 2010 3:13 pm

Some of us on Win7 still have trouble. What OS are you on? Which version of Audacity are you building?

I am using Win7 and the latest Audacity beta. When I did the builds there were some errors, but I continued anyway and everything works. That is, everything I've used so far. I use an Echo Audiofire12 to record 12 channels via firewire.
indybeast

PreviousNext

Return to Compiling Audacity