Compiling Audacity with Asio

Building and customizing Audacity from the source code.

If you require help using Audacity, please post on the forum board relevant to your operating system:
Windows
Mac OS X
GNU/Linux and Unix-like

Re: Compiling Audacity with Asio

Permanent link to this post Posted by Edgar » Wed Dec 22, 2010 5:29 pm

indybeast wrote:
Some of us on Win7 still have trouble. What OS are you on? Which version of Audacity are you building?

I am using Win7 and the latest Audacity beta. When I did the builds there were some errors, but I continued anyway and everything works. That is, everything I've used so far. I use an Echo Audiofire12 to record 12 channels via firewire.

This is really good to hear as I also run Win7 and an Echo AudioFire (but mine is the 4 channel). Maybe I will try again; thanks!
Edgar
Forum Crew

Operating System: Windows 7

Permanent link to this post Posted by indybeast » Thu Dec 23, 2010 6:43 pm

I dont know if it makes any difference, but the machine I compiled the code on is a Win7 64 bit machine. But the one I use to record with, and run Audacity on, is a 32 bit Vista machine.

Terry
indybeast

Operating System: Please select

Permanent link to this post Posted by Edgar » Thu Dec 23, 2010 8:39 pm

indybeast wrote:the machine I compiled the code on is a Win7 64 bit machine. But the one I use to record with, and run Audacity on, is a 32 bit Vista machine.

Vista seems a bit better for ASIO and Audacity audio in general.
Edgar
Forum Crew

Operating System: Windows 7

Permanent link to this post Posted by peterest » Mon May 09, 2011 7:05 am

HI,
I am still looking for an ASIO answer to Audacity (which I love incidentally).
Pleased that our happy smiling friend has sorted everything out but I suspect there are still hundreds of us humble musicians who still have no idea what to do.
Built widgets?, built audacity?. What does that mean?

I for one would pay a few dollars to Steinberg to have an ASIO enabled version of audacity if that is what it takes.
peterest

Operating System: Please select

Permanent link to this post Posted by steve » Mon May 09, 2011 6:13 pm

If you are wanting ASIO because of the high performance and flexibility that it offers, then you may be interested in trying Linux.
Linux is an open source (and usually free) operating system. It does not use ASIO, but has its own native high performance sound system for music production which is called Jack http://jackaudio.org/
Audacity 1.3.13 supports Jack without any recompiling necessary.

If you want ASIO support because you want to integrate Audacity into a virtual studio with other Windows software, then it's a case of building Audacity from the source code. You could of course write to Steinberg to request that they make ASIO open source (GPL compliant), then Audacity (and any other software) could freely support it.
9/10 questions are answered in the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)
steve
Senior Forum Staff

Operating System: Linux *buntu

Permanent link to this post Posted by MickO » Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:43 am

I have just been through the process of compiling Audacity 2.1.3 with ASIO... to run on my windows 10 PC

The reason is that I have a Soundcraft Signature 12MTK, and want (initially) to be able to do simple multi-track recording of several instruments being played live (in a practice room).

After several problems (despite try to follow compile.txt) I have managed to get it to work (ie I can see ASIO, my device, and initiate multi-track recording), and though it might be of some use if I shared my experience.

I'm an experienced IT professional, but not a developer, so I am not hands-on familiar with IDEs and SDKs.

My first mistake was loading the latest version of Visual Studio community edition (VS2017), which generated copious error messages, so I installed VS2013, which was much better.

Secondly, I misinterpreted the instructions in compile.txt for setting the WXWIN path... resulting in errors such as:
error C1083: Cannot open include file: 'wx/defs.h'
error C1083: Cannot open include file: 'zlib.h'
error C1083: Cannot open include file: 'wx/wxprec.h'
error C1083: Cannot open include file: 'wx/wx.h'

What I found is that the WXWIN path needs to be pointing to the root of the WXWIN folder structure, eg:
WXWIN=C:\software\wxWidgets\wxWidgets-audacity-fixes
(as I decided to put it in a wxWidgets sub-folder of a software folder that I created).

NB this is the wxWidgets which has already been patched for Audacity, downloaded from
https://github.com/audacity/wxWidgets/a ... -fixes.zip

So this got me to the point where I could build Audacity, and it appeared to work, but it wasn't offering any ASIO capability.
How can you tell whether ASIO is there? I know that I had installed the Soundcraft ASIO driver, and downloaded the ASIO SDK (version 2.3), and set up the path environment variable, but could not see any ASIO option in the list of audio hosts, even when I had the MTK connected.

I found some advice on a PortAudio forum, specifically:
copy the entire ASIOSDK2.3 folder into:
(Audacity-root)\lib-src\portaudio-v19\src\hostapi\asio
Rename it from ASIOSDK2.3 to ASIOSDK

Having done this I re-built Audacity, and at first still couldn't see ASIO... but when I connected the MTK the ASIO option appeared as an audio host, and I could add multiple recording tracks in a single operation.

I haven't had the chance to try a proper recording session yet... will update if problems occur.
MickO

Operating System: Windows 10

Permanent link to this post Posted by MickO » Sat Jul 08, 2017 12:32 pm

Playback channel problem

After successfully building Audacity with ASIO for multitrack recording, so far things are mostly OK except for one little problem - I can't assign the playback channels. :cry:

With ASIO as the audio host, only a single stereo output option is offered, which is fine, except that it uses channels 1 & 2 of the MTK.
I want to use channels 11 and 12, which are the recommended playback channels for the MTK12, but I can't find an option to do this.
I can get by using 1 & 2, but this wastes two XLR inputs, as 11 & 12 offer a dedicated stereo playback.

I have tried setting the Windows playback device... it offers the full set of channels and I can then make 11&12 the default for playback, and if I just play something with media player et al they use this channel-pair correctly, but with ASIO selected as the audio host Audacity ignores this and just uses 1 & 2.

Have I missed something? Is this a constraint of Audacity? Has anyone else been able to direct the playback channels?
MickO

Operating System: Windows 10

Permanent link to this post Posted by steve » Sat Jul 08, 2017 1:30 pm

Audacity does not yet have channel mapping for input or output. Audacity currently supports 2 channel output only, which the audio device drivers usually map to the first two physical channels. Some of the more advanced soundcards provide their own channel mapping when using ASIO, but some don't.
9/10 questions are answered in the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)
steve
Senior Forum Staff

Operating System: Linux *buntu

Previous

Return to Compiling Audacity