Compiling Audacity with Asio

Building and customizing Audacity from the source code.

If you require help using Audacity, please post on the forum board relevant to your operating system:
Windows
Mac OS X
GNU/Linux and Unix-like

Re: Compiling Audacity with Asio

Permanent link to this post Posted by Edwood » Sat Oct 16, 2010 5:52 am

OK. Going to take this step by step, so I don't screw something up. Please bear with me. Hopefully I can make a nice step by step tutorial out of this procedure in the end.
----

Here's what I've done do far.

Step 1: Install Microsoft Visual C++ 2008

a) Go to http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/d ... be78461ee0

b) Download vcsetup.exe.

c) Run vcsetup.exe

-Installation Options
No* MSDN Express Library for Visual Studio 2008
No* Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Express Edition (x86)
Yes* Microsoft Silverlight Runtime

Install in Folder:
c:Program FilesMicrosoft Visual Studio 9.0

The following items will be downloaded and installed:
* Runtime Pre-requisites
* Microsoft Windows SDK for Visual Studios 2008 Headers and Libraries (x86)
* Microsoft Windows SDK for Visual Studios 2008 Express Tools for .NET Framework (x86)
* Microsoft Windows SDK for Visual Studios 2008 Express Tools for Win32 (x86)
* Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Express Edition
* Microsoft Silverlight Runtime
88MB Download

Download and Installation will take some time.

-----

Step 2: Install wx Widgets 2.8.11

a) Go to http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/wxwi ... -Setup.exe

b) Download wxMSW-2.8.11-Setup.exe (should pop up automatically)

c) Run wxMSW-2.8.11-Setup.exe

By default it will extract files to c:wxWidgets-2.8.11

----

Step 3: Build wx Widgets

OK, so the next steps are go to c:wxWidgets-2.8.11buildmsw
And then open wx_dll.dsw with Visual Studio. Then allow Visual C++ Project to Convert and open this project?

Should I then close and save project when prompted, then reopen the SLN file?

Then what do I do after that?

-Ed
Edwood

Operating System: Please select

Permanent link to this post Posted by Edgar » Sat Oct 16, 2010 7:14 am

First you need to understand what things Audacity wants from wxWidgets. Audacity needs to know where the wxWidgets header files are; you do that by setting and ENVIRONMENTAL VARIABLE and the method for doing so is not the same for all versions of Windows. There are fairly good instructions listed here:
http://wiki.wxwidgets.org/Microsoft_Visual_C%2B%2B_Guide
and here:
http://wiki.wxwidgets.org/Troubleshooting_building_wxWidgets_using_Microsoft_VC

The next thing you need to know is that Audacity only needs five out of the many wxWidgets libraries, but you will need to make sure that you get the right "flavor" of the libraries (most likely what you will want is Unicode Release). If you are a real masochist and interested in learning a lot more about the intricacies you can try to compile all of wxWidgets but that is not for the faint of heart! Anyway, the five Unicode Release libraries that you need are:
wxbase28u_net_vc_custom.dll
wxbase28u_vc_custom.dll
wxmsw28u_adv_vc_custom.dll
wxmsw28u_core_vc_custom.dll
wxmsw28u_html_vc_custom.dll

What you want to do is open an SLN file, this will start VC++ 2008 Express with the wxWidgets project loaded, the one you want will be in a folder that looks something like:
C:wxWidgets-2.8.11buildmsw
and it's name will be:
wx_dll.sln
make sure you get the right one – the one you mention in your post is not the right one.

Now there should be a little gadget up in the top right-hand corner that says "Batch Build" – click on it. This should bring up a dialog box which lists all of the wxWidgets projects in all of their various configurations. The ones you want to build are adv, base, core, html, and net. Some of these are dependent on others but those should get built automatically although you might have to run Batch Build a few times if you get errors just keep trying unless you get the exact same errors two times in a row.

If everything is gone well up until this point you will need to locate those five libraries; they should be located here:
C:wxWidgets-2.8.11libvc_dll

Now you need to install the Audacity source code; you will have to choose whether to go with the most recent package of the beta (is really late at night here and I have to go to work early; I can't find the URL right now) or get really dedicated and install SVN so that you can get the very most recent alpha.

That's a lot of information and I have probably made at least one mistake! Good luck and keep us posted.
Edgar
Forum Crew

Operating System: Windows 7

Permanent link to this post Posted by Edwood » Sat Oct 16, 2010 5:09 pm

OK, I have the five DLL Unicode Release libraries built. (Visual C++ 2008 Express gave me ======Build: 11, 0 failed, 0 up-to-date, 0 skipped=========)

wxbase28u_net_vc_custom.dll
wxbase28u_vc_custom.dll
wxmsw28u_adv_vc_custom.dll
wxmsw28u_core_vc_custom.dll
wxmsw28u_html_vc_custom.dll

I have the latest Audacity Beta Source Code (audacity-fullsrc-1.3.12-beta.tar)

So looks like I'm ready for the next step?

I have the ASIO SDK.

So I unzipped the folder (ASIOSDK2) and it's in this path: (C:ASIOSDK2)

Now to set the environment variable, I have the Value = ASIOSDK_DIR with the Value = C:ASIOSDK2

Is that setting correct? or do I need to point to a sub directory? C:ASIOSDK2 should be correct?
-Ed
Edwood

Permanent link to this post Posted by Edwood » Sat Oct 16, 2010 6:03 pm

Gah. I didn't install the Windows SDK for Windows 7 and .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 after installing Visual C++ 2008 Express.

Do I need to start over, or can I install it now and move on?

-Ed
Edwood

Permanent link to this post Posted by Edgar » Sat Oct 16, 2010 7:15 pm

Edwood wrote:Gah. I didn't install the Windows SDK for Windows 7 and .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 after installing Visual C++ 2008 Express.

-Ed

I saw that when you posted and wondered what was going to happen. I cannot answer your question definitively but my suggestion is "install it now" and see what happens.
Edgar
Forum Crew

Permanent link to this post Posted by Edwood » Sat Oct 16, 2010 7:40 pm

Edgar wrote:
Edwood wrote:Gah. I didn't install the Windows SDK for Windows 7 and .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 after installing Visual C++ 2008 Express.

-Ed

I saw that when you posted and wondered what was going to happen. I cannot answer your question definitively but my suggestion is "install it now" and see what happens.

Yeah, I installed it (took forever ).

Rebooted and we'll see how it goes.

I had no failures or warnings when I compiled the wx Widgets, so hopefully everything is fine there.

Now what do I do with Audacity.sln?

I have it open in Visual C++ 2008 Express.

Do I need to install DirectX SDK, Lame, FFMPEG, etc if I'm using the Full SRC Audacity ? I thought Direct X was already built in at least? (Well, I guess DirectX is pointless for me since my goal is to have Audacity with ASIO)

-Ed
Edwood

Permanent link to this post Posted by Edgar » Sat Oct 16, 2010 8:54 pm

Build the same Audacity configuration as you did wxWidgets configuration; after it is built you will have (if you built Unicode Release) this folder:
winUnicode Release
in your Audacity build directory. Copy those 5 wxWidgets DLLs into that folder; in that folder you will also find the Audacity application, run it (after copying the DLLs) and tell us the result! I'm off to a gig and will check back in about 9 hours...
Edgar
Forum Crew

Permanent link to this post Posted by Edwood » Sat Oct 16, 2010 9:48 pm

What about the ASIO SDK? Where do I put the parts I need for those?

-Ed
Edwood

Permanent link to this post Posted by Edwood » Sun Oct 17, 2010 2:59 am

Tried "Build Audacity".

And I got =======Build: 23 succeeded, 2 failed, 0 up-to-date, 1 skipped ============

*EDIT - I think I did it wrong. I just clicked on "Build Audacity" rather than selecting Unicode Release under "Configuration manager" and then clicking "Rebuild Solution". Doing that one right now, taking much longer to compile, must be the correct way.

-Ed
Edwood

Permanent link to this post Posted by Edwood » Sun Oct 17, 2010 3:28 am

OK, it's finished rebuilding.

It reports:

Audacity - 0 error(s), 5 warning(s)
============ Rebuild All: 26 succeeded, 2 failed, 3 skipped ===============

I've attached a txt file of the Build log. Did everything go OK? Did it compile ASIO into it? Or do I need to do something else with the ASIO SDK?

Well it launches and seems to work, but under Audacity Preferences --> Devices --> Host: I only get "MME" No ASIO. So I guess I didn't compile ASIO into this build properly? What am I missing? :(

-Ed
Attachments
Edwood_AudacityFailLog_01a.txt
(121.1 KiB) Downloaded 137 times
Edwood

PreviousNext

Return to Compiling Audacity