How to set the same volume level to a group of files?

This section is now closed.

Audacity 1.3.x is now obsolete. Please use the current Audacity 2.0.x package for your distribution or compile Audacity from the source code.

How to set the same volume level to a group of files?

Permanent link to this post Posted by Canellas » Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:40 pm

Hi!

To start, I know nothing about sound editing... sorry.

I have about 50 mp3 files, and I would like that all of them would have the same volume level.

My problem is that I have no idea how to do this... and I would appreciate a lot if someone could help me!

Thanks a lot!
Canellas

Re: How to set the same volume level to a group of files?

Permanent link to this post Posted by bgravato » Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:40 pm

You can import mp3's into audacity apply the amplify effect and set the peak to the same value on all files and then export as mp3 again.

To import/export mp3 files in audacity you need to have Lame installed.

Also you need to be aware of 2 things:

1) mp3 is a lossy format, so everytime you compress some audio to mp3 you're "damaging" it, if you import an mp3 into audacity it's decoded into raw audio and then when you export back to mp3 you're compressing again and that means adding again more damage to it. Everytime you decompress/recompress audio from/to mp3 you'll be adding extra damage to it. There some apps that can work directly on mp3 without decompressing/recompressing it and do some operations to them such as splitting/cutting but I don't know of any that can do amplification.

2) amplifying all the files to the same peak value doesn't mean that them all will sound as loud as each other, that will depend a lot on the dynamics of the song. If you have a very loud peak at some point in the track but most of it is quieter than the peak, then it will sound quieter than another track which most of it is near the peak. In this case you might need to use dynamic compression in order to make them all sound "as loud" as each other.
Include as much details as you can in your post (Audacity version, Operating System, Equipment used, etc).
Please post your question in the appropriate forum (regarding audacity version and operating system).
bgravato
Forum Staff

Re: How to set the same volume level to a group of files?

Permanent link to this post Posted by steve » Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:55 pm

Canellas wrote:I have about 50 mp3 files, and I would like that all of them would have the same volume level.

Depending on your MP3 player, the best way to do this may be to use "Replay Gain" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Replay_Gain
9/10 questions are answered in the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)
steve
Senior Forum Staff

Return to GNU/Linux and Unix-like