Success using Blue Snowball mic with Ubuntu 10.04

This section is now closed.

Audacity 1.3.x is now obsolete. Please use the current Audacity 2.0.x package for your distribution or compile Audacity from the source code.

Success using Blue Snowball mic with Ubuntu 10.04

Permanent link to this post Posted by SaberCat » Sun Mar 20, 2011 3:11 pm

I recently purchased a Blue Snowball microphone from Best Buy (~$99) and have it running with Audacity 1.3.2-beta on Ubuntu 10.04 LTS (Lucid Lynx) on my desktop (Dell Inspiron 570) and laptop (Dell Inspiron 1501). This mic has a three position switch on the back for selecting gain/pattern (in researching it I got the impression that earlier models had a two position switch). I am running it in position one. Here's what I had to do to get Audacity to work with it for recording (I am using it to record piano music):

First, plug it into a USB port!

Edit|Preferences...|Devices|Recording|Device: Blue Snowball :...|Channels: 1(Mono)|OK

Edit|Preferences...|Recording|Sound Activated Recording|(check the box and set the level to -33db.|OK

Edit|Preferences...|Quality|Default Sample Format: (select 16-bit)|OK
(actually, you can do all of these and then press OK)

Next, you have to raise the audio input level: Click the speaker icon at the upper right of the desktop screen and select Sound Preferences...|Input|(set the button for Blue Snowball). Then move the Input volume: slider to the far right (full volume).

Now you should be able to record. But before you start, use the Zoom Out to increase the display timescale to beyond the time that you expect to record (so that Audacity does not have to redraw the display and possibly drop some audio samples). Press the red button on Audacity and then play some music (or make some noise!). You should see a plot of your audio. Press the yellow square to stop recording. Then press the green triangle to play it back. This all worked for me. Hope it does for you. It took me awhile to figure out how to set the input volume. That was the only problem I had...

I also have it working with the Audacity beta release for Windows 7 on my Dell 570. I had problems with skips (dropped samples). I solved this by raising the process priority of Audacity to 'High' and using Zoom Out to extend the display timeline beyond my record time (I'm not sure the Zoom Out operation is necessary for either of the above cases...).
SaberCat

Re: Success using Blue Snowball mic with Ubuntu 10.04

Permanent link to this post Posted by bgravato » Sun Mar 20, 2011 7:56 pm

SaberCat wrote:I recently purchased a Blue Snowball microphone from Best Buy (~$99) and have it running with Audacity 1.3.2-beta on Ubuntu 10.04 LTS (Lucid Lynx)

You probably meant 1.3.12-beta, right?
Include as much details as you can in your post (Audacity version, Operating System, Equipment used, etc).
Please post your question in the appropriate forum (regarding audacity version and operating system).
bgravato
Forum Staff

Re: Success using Blue Snowball mic with Ubuntu 10.04

Permanent link to this post Posted by SaberCat » Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:21 pm

Yes, the version of Audacity that I am using is 1.3.12-beta. Thanks...
While I'm here, I should correct that the Zoom Out operation should take place AFTER pressing the red start-recording button, not before. Since Sound Activated Recording is turned on, you will have time to do this before recording starts. Also, This morning I noticed that I had to back off some on the Input volume: slider in Ubuntu's Sound Preferences|Input dialog to keep my piano audio from clipping. Your mileage may vary...
SaberCat

Return to GNU/Linux and Unix-like