Error while opening sound device. Please check the input dev

This section is now closed.

Audacity 1.3.x is now obsolete. Please use the current Audacity 2.0.x package for your distribution or compile Audacity from the source code.

Error while opening sound device. Please check the input dev

Permanent link to this post Posted by IKhider » Sun Apr 13, 2008 7:44 pm

I have Audacity 1.3.4(beta) and I keep getting "Error while opening sound device. Please check the input device settings and the project sample rate." anyone know how to deal with this issue?
IKhider

Re: Error while opening sound device. Please check the input dev

Permanent link to this post Posted by steve » Sun Apr 13, 2008 8:37 pm

Aaargh.... the curse of the Linux sound system.

Usually you should set the recording device and playback device to ALSA(default)
This is set in "Edit > Preferences > Audio I/O"

Also you need to set the sample rate to match your hardware - this is usually 44100 Hz or 48 kHz
This is set in "Edit > Preferences > Quality"

If you look in "Help > Audio Device Info" you will see a list of all detected audio hardware, and the supported sample rates - this should give you a good clue as to what settings to use.

You then need to set the correct inputs for your computer sound system using "ALSA gui" or some other mixer. If you have a SoundBlaster Live card, then I would recommend QAmix as a simple but full featured mixer (it is an alternative front-end for the ALSA mixer but is much easier to use than ALSA gui)
9/10 questions are answered in the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)
steve
Senior Forum Staff

Permanent link to this post Posted by IKhider » Sun Apr 13, 2008 9:53 pm

Hello Steve,
Thanks for your feedback--before you posted I opted to install and re-install the Audacity program with the hopes that it would start fresh. No way, it remembers everything. When I first used the program it was fine--then with some fiddling I got the error messages. By the way, when I try to play back a file I get another message "Error while opening sound device. Please check the output device settings and the project sample rate." I have checked and altered sample rates (that is the first thing I did) and I have tried various permutations of input and outputs and NOTHING. The same error message, it is like a glitch from hell. Your suggestions were tried, still no go. Any other ideas?
IKhider

Permanent link to this post Posted by IKhider » Sun Apr 13, 2008 10:40 pm

Error is gone! Steve the fiddle--thank you very much. I have had a very frustrating time with this program. I run a podcast program called Feedback Monitor and have been delayed several weeks because of this software. Thank you for restoring my faith in opensource programs. I am truly amazed--something so small and all is well again.
IKhider

Permanent link to this post Posted by steve » Mon Apr 14, 2008 12:35 am

I had exactly the same frustration myself, but once you've got it sussed it's no problem at all.

Did you look in "Help > Audio Device Info" and did that help at all?
What settings made it work for you?
steve
Senior Forum Staff

Permanent link to this post Posted by IKhider » Mon Apr 14, 2008 1:44 am

Hello Steve,
The settings that worked for me was placing both i/o settings onto "Asla default". However, under "audio device info" I get a blank field. No information whatsoever, no checklist. Is that normal? I may upgrade my sound card, perhaps that will fix it. *Also*I recorded from cassette. A friend suggested I use a walkman instead of a component cassette deck lined through an amp because the line out volume cannot be controlled. He said I should get a Y cable--stereo jack to RCA so the volume control can be better. What do you think? This is for digitizing interviews on cassette.
IKhider

Permanent link to this post Posted by steve » Mon Apr 14, 2008 3:54 am

IKhider wrote:The settings that worked for me was placing both i/o settings onto "Asla default".

Great stuff, that's how it's supposed to work :D

IKhider wrote:However, under "audio device info" I get a blank field. No information whatsoever, no checklist. Is that normal?

No idea why that should be, I get one on my machine, but as long as it works it's no problem.

IKhider wrote:A friend suggested I use a walkman instead of a component cassette deck lined through an amp because the line out volume cannot be controlled.

Playing directly from the "Line Out" of a HiFi cassette "separate" into the "Line In" of your sound card should be perfect. True, you can't (usually) control the output level from the cassette deck, but as it is designed to work at line level it should be an excellent match for the "Line in" of your sound card (just make sure that it is a "Line In" and not a "Mic In"). This is a better option than a "headphone out", which is designed to drive headphones rather than a line input.
You can adjust the recording level through the ALSA mixer.

Generally speaking, HiFi separates offer better sound quality than portable devices (but obviously not always).
steve
Senior Forum Staff

Permanent link to this post Posted by frankzen » Mon May 12, 2008 11:18 pm

Just adding a note here - Audacity would not record for me..same problem when I was using the on-board sound of my Intel motherboard. Then I installed an Ensoniq sound card, some cheap off-brand and now the whole system works like a champ. So much for on-board sound Intel. I plan to replace the cheapie with a good Soundblaster Awe card soon.

Just my 2 cents
frankzen

Permanent link to this post Posted by einfeldt » Fri May 16, 2008 12:36 am

stevethefiddle wrote:Usually you should set the recording device and playback device to ALSA(default)
This is set in "Edit > Preferences > Audio I/O"

I was also getting the error message indicated in the original post. On my system, the problem was solved simply by switching the sound device to ALSA default, as recommended by stevethefiddle, by doing this: Open Audacity, then do Edit > Preferences > Audio I/O. In the upper left hand corner of the window, you will see a section labelled, "Playback". Click on the pull-down menu beside Devices and choose "ALSA default." Then click okay and you are done. It's that simple, at least on my system, which is running Gutsy 32-bit with 4 GB of RAM on an AMD 3800 and a Realtek ALC883 or ALC889 sound device (can't be sure which, because my system is kinda new, so lshw might not be reporting it correctly, or so I am told).
einfeldt

Re: Error while opening sound device.

Permanent link to this post Posted by texas.chef94 » Mon Aug 04, 2008 5:09 pm

.I have followed all suggested adjustments in preferences but I am still unable to record. I am new new to linux, but a seasoned user of audacity in windows. I did go to generate+noise and the play-back was loud and clear. I am sure I am not describing the following correctly, but when I record with my Samson CO1U then play I know before play I will not hear anything because the sound graph while recording is not evident.
Hate to make this admission, but I did say I was new new to linux. I downloaded alsa package from SPM but I have not a clue where it is or if its activated. Typical windows mindset! No start so I am lost.
Thanks and please advise
Oh is sound recorder essential? I ask because when I click on it I get Your audio capture settings are invalid. Please correct them in the Multimedia settings.And naturally in a fog here as well. Hey folks this is a learning curve for a 76 year old.
But intend to hang in there :lol:
texas.chef94

Next

Return to GNU/Linux and Unix-like