Setting mp3 Export Kbps/Quality

This section is now closed.

Audacity 1.3.x is now obsolete. Please use the current Audacity 2.0.x package for your distribution or compile Audacity from the source code.

Setting mp3 Export Kbps/Quality

Permanent link to this post Posted by Kirion » Thu Mar 20, 2008 5:37 pm

Hi, Audacity Geniuses:

I did a search in as much as my lack of tech nohow could accomplish, so this new post. :-\

My XP version of Audacity, 1.2.6, allows me to set mp3 export kbps; for instance, I can set it at 48 or 32. This version 1.3.4 I just installed in Mandriva 2008 doesn't seem to have any way of changing it from 128, which doesn't allow me to put very many speech tracks on a CD. I usually set it at 32, but occasionally need 48 when the raw recording is low grade already. So, is that feature available in this version? If so, where and how? :-)
Kirion :-)
Class 'A' Number '1' First Class Second to None Non-Techy End-User.
Kirion

Re: Setting mp3 Export Kbps/Quality

Permanent link to this post Posted by waxcylinder » Thu Mar 20, 2008 5:42 pm

In the Export dialog box, select MP3 an click the Options button - a dialog box will appear to let you set the MP3 parameters.

WC
________________________________________FOR INSTANT HELP: (Click on Link below)
* * * * * FAQ * * * * * Tutorials * * * * * Tips * * * * * Audacity 2.0 Manual * * * * * Audacity wiki * * * * *
waxcylinder
Forum Staff

Permanent link to this post Posted by Kirion » Thu Mar 20, 2008 5:53 pm

I've exported about a half-dozen wav to mp3 files and didn't see that anywhere. :shock: :oops:

Thanks, WC. :-)
Kirion

Permanent link to this post Posted by waxcylinder » Thu Mar 20, 2008 6:12 pm

IMHO the mechanism for this was better in 1.2 - but the developers don't see it that way ......

WC
* * * * * FAQ * * * * * Tutorials * * * * * Tips * * * * * Audacity 2.0 Manual * * * * * Audacity wiki * * * * *
waxcylinder
Forum Staff

Permanent link to this post Posted by Kirion » Fri Mar 21, 2008 5:51 pm

waxcylinder wrote:IMHO the mechanism for this was better in 1.2 - but the developers don't see it that way ......

WC

1.2 you could set it where you wanted it and it was set globally. This one you have to choose it for each export. I agree with you. :-) As you know, the developers get their way. :roll:
Kirion

Permanent link to this post Posted by waxcylinder » Sat Mar 22, 2008 4:19 pm

Kirion wrote:1.2 you could set it where you wanted it and it was set globally. This one you have to choose it for each export.

Actually I think it makes an entry in your preferences file whenever you change the setting, so that the next time you use it the previous setting is remembered - it certainly works that way for me on 1.3.3 - but I'm on Windows XP-HE-SP2, so can't accurately comment on Unix behaviour of Audacity.

WC
waxcylinder
Forum Staff

Return to GNU/Linux and Unix-like